Current 9yo Charlise Mutten - Blue Mountains * Justin Stein charged with murder

Remove this Banner Ad

UPDATE: Justin Stein has been arrested and charged with the murder of Charlise.

Only just heard about this.

Only just heard about this.

This doesn't appear to be a case where she's wandered off and got lost, she's been missing for two days and only wearing a skirt, top and thongs.

The Homicide Squad has been called in. Not sure I understand why she went missing Thursday but not reported to the police until Friday morning?

A car from Penrith has been seized by police as emergency services continue their search for missing girl, 9, from a Blue Mountains property.

Charlise Mutten, described as Caucasian, disappeared on Thursday before being reported missing about 8.20am on Friday from a Mount Wilson property. It’s now understood the homicide squad has been called in to assist local detectives.

The Homicide Squad has been called in. Not sure I understand why she went missing Thursday but not reported to the police until Friday morning?

A car from Penrith has been seized by police as emergency services continue their search for missing girl, 9, from a Blue Mountains property.

Charlise Mutten, described as Caucasian, disappeared on Thursday before being reported missing about 8.20am on Friday from a Mount Wilson property. It’s now understood the homicide squad has been called in to assist local detectives.

I think she was “last seen” on Thursday. Was it at bedtime, or earlier?

Edited to add: might have been earlier as she was fully dressed.

Not sure what I'm allowed to post here but I watched a snippet of the channel 7 news and they mentioned the mothers first name.

If I google that name combined with the surname Mutten, the first result is about a 33 year old woman with that name who is known to police. Sent to jail in 2017, released in 2019.

I don't know if this person is the same person or just shares the same name with Charlise's mother. But I think the first name and the surname are uncommon. I've not heard of the surname "Mutten" before?

And disclaimer, even if it is the same person, it doesn't mean she is in anyway involved in her daughters disappearance but it makes me wonder if she was around some shady characters.

Last edited:
Not sure what I'm allowed to post here but I watched a snippet of the channel 7 news and they mentioned the mothers first name.

If I google that name combined with the surname Mutten, the first result is about a 33 year old woman with that name who is known to police. Sent to jail in 2017, released in 2019.
I don't know if this person is the same person or just shares the same name with Charlise's mother. But I think the first name and the surname are uncommon. I've not heard of the surname "Mutten" before?

And disclaimer, even if it is the same person, it doesn't mean she is anyway involved in her daughters disappearance but it makes me wonder if she was around some shady characters.
The news reports have been quite low key so far, maybe it’s a custody issue. Although having the homicide squad involved is a bit of a worry.

And disclaimer, even if it is the same person, it doesn't mean she is in anyway involved in her daughters disappearance but it makes me wonder if she was around some shady characters.
Name has been published elsewhere now and given it’s quite distinctive and in the same area, it’s extremely likely the mother and the person in those articles are the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What part of the Hawkesbury do you know?

Found it.

They're searching near Windsor which is about an hour's drive from Mount Wilson.

Police divers have joined the search for missing nine-year-old girl Charlise Mutten along the Hawkesbury River around Windsor on Sunday afternoon.

Rural Fire Service volunteers found a small, barefooted footprint along a trail on Sunday only a few kilometres from the Mount Wilson property, and called it in to search teams straight away before taping off the area.
Charlise, who lives with her grandmother in Coolangatta, was visiting her mother Kallista Mutten and her mother’s fiance Jason Stein at the Mount Wilson property, which is often used as a wedding venue and is owned by Mr Stein’s family, when she went missing.

Police say they are yet to get a full statement from Charlise’s mother, who had a medical episode when police arrived, and because of this, Ms Mutten and Mr Stein’s timelines were conflicting.
Blue Mountains police are still leading the investigation, however the homicide squad were assisting.
The property remains a crime scene however Chief Inspector Garry Sims said: “there’s nothing to indicate a crime ... but we are conducting our forensic investigations there, trying to find anything that can provide us a starting point.”

Found it.

They're searching near Windsor which is about an hour's drive from Mount Wilson.

Police divers have joined the search for missing nine-year-old girl Charlise Mutten along the Hawkesbury River around Windsor on Sunday afternoon.

Rural Fire Service volunteers found a small, barefooted footprint along a trail on Sunday only a few kilometres from the Mount Wilson property, and called it in to search teams straight away before taping off the area.
Charlise, who lives with her grandmother in Coolangatta, was visiting her mother Kallista Mutten and her mother’s fiance Jason Stein at the Mount Wilson property, which is often used as a wedding venue and is owned by Mr Stein’s family, when she went missing.

Police say they are yet to get a full statement from Charlise’s mother, who had a medical episode when police arrived, and because of this, Ms Mutten and Mr Stein’s timelines were conflicting.
Blue Mountains police are still leading the investigation, however the homicide squad were assisting.
The property remains a crime scene however Chief Inspector Garry Sims said: “there’s nothing to indicate a crime ... but we are conducting our forensic investigations there, trying to find anything that can provide us a starting point.”

Poor grandmother

Found it.

Found it.

Thanks for the update. I’m in Qld, this story has been wiped off abc and news.com.au. Extremely bizarre. Looks like she wandered off and/or met with foul play.

This has barely made a ripple in the media which is so damn strange. The whole Novak and RATs thing is really drowning out a lot of really important things at the moment.

Absolutely awful, hoping for a miracle that she is found safe and alive but seems very unlikely

This has barely made a ripple in the media which is so damn strange. The whole Novak and RATs thing is really drowning out a lot of really important things at the moment.

Yeah that's so right, there was six or nine murders in one night a few days ago and I didn't catch the correct number because all I heard was the tail end of a snippet on the TV. And that was it.

"Charlise was five when her mother, Kallista Mutten, was jailed in 2017 at Lismore for a minimum of two years three months for dangerous driving causing death and driving with an illicit drug in her system.

The schoolgirl has been living with her grandmother at Coolangatta in Queensland and was spending two weeks’ holiday among the stunning gardens of celebrated Blue Mountains wedding venue Wildenstein with her mother and her fiance Justin Stein when she vanished.

Mr Stein, who according to property documents lives in a converted designer warehouse in Leichardt, is related to James and Annemie Stein whose vision turned the 12.5 acre block at Mt Wilson into their dream home after they bought it in 1989.

“We are very distressed,” a family source said on Sunday as hundreds of police, Rural Fire Service crews and State Emergency Service volunteers search the area.

Homicide detectives have taken charge of the investigation and seized a red ute and a boat that was on the property for forensic testing. On Sunday, police divers searched through the muddy waters of the Hawkesbury River at Windsor as part of enquiries.

Ms Mutten was rebuilding her life after being released from jail in 2019 after she admitted in Lismore District Court to using ice before she got behind the wheel of her red Holden Apollos sedan when she tried to recklessly overtake a semi-trailer on the Tweed Valley Way at Condong in September 2016.

The Daily Telegraph does not suggest that Ms Mutten is a current drug user. She became engaged to Mr Stein in December 2020.

The couple has told police that Charlise had not been seen since some time on Thursday afternoon and reported her missing at 8.20am on Friday.

Neighbours said they had told police they saw a car leaving the property at about 4.30am on Friday without any lights on. Wildenstein has been declared a crime scene and a boat and a red ute seized for forensic examination."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back