footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Im not sure she did (personally i reckon he killed her) but thats the type of thing the defence will probably claim and unless theres DNA evidence tying him to the killing itself (as a pose to disposing of the body) it becomes a somewhat he said-she said and KM is not likely to be viewed as a hugely credible witness by most juries (given her history) and even more so if any tox screens (i imagine the hospital where she is currently would have taken one) show that she had either taken illicit drugs or was off her meds at the time of the killing, you would imagine his defence attorney uses it to attack the credibility of any information she might give to police. They can try and create reasonable doubt if they can show the jury its not certain which one of JS or KM actually killed the poor girl.

Yeah, that's my concern, and instead of a murder charge, and conviction, it will end up with manslaughter charge against one or both. There may not have been intent to murder at the point it occurred, but actions afterwards point to covering up the death of a 9yo. Despicable actions, and on the face of it, two despicable people.

I feel like it's a sick tactic to get more sales

Have some respect for the dead ffs

Charlise's name and her images are authorised, it's very helpful to have her face out there to jog people's memories. This is where witnesses spring from.

We shouldn't forget that one of the biggest hurdles many family members face in unsolved crime, is actually in trying to get press attention.

Their living arrangements aren't what we were led to believe, the contrast between that caravan and the house at Mount Wilson couldn't be starker.

I can understand how now, if the mother was working for example and the fiance offered to take Charlise over to the nicer 'big house' to take care of her he could have far more easily dodged her questions about where Charlise was and dragged it out over a couple of days. Where eventually, the mother has got over to Wildenstein to check herself and nobody's there because he already left at 4.30 that morning.

Something to think about.

I know as much as anybody else does but the reason the police might have difficulty approaching the mother is because that 000 call from Wildenstein may not be the first time she rang them for help and she's raging.

We need to keep an open mind.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Both good points in your 2 posts Kurve, happy to take them onboard. There are still quite a few holes in the story details that have been publicly released or reported, but you're right, more details may fill in the blanks.

This article confirms Kallista had recently got her license back, not sure if she had access to a car though. Also claims the plan was that all were to be staying at Wildenstein through the school holidays.

However ...

Investigators believe she was murdered on Tuesday or Wednesday last week, while her mother was away from the Stein family property in the Blue Mountains staying in a low-end caravan park on the Hawkesbury River.

I just want to know why she went off to that ratty caravan when she was supposed to be staying at the Wildenstein (I keep wanting to say Wilderpeople 😆) property. And did Charlise go with her?

*Edit, yes she did, I forgot

Last edited:

Rob R

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Police claim Charlise Mutten’s mum was living in caravan before alleged murder

'the Riviera Ski Park at Lower Portland'

'police swarming the park over the weekend as part of their search for answers.'

'Residents at the park said they believed Charlise and her alleged killer Stein even joined Ms Mutten there in the time leading up to Charlise’s death.'

“The daughter was there for a couple of days, she was playing around with the daughter of a friend of mine,” one witnesses said.'

'detectives had been seen taping off a caravan near the water’s edge and carrying evidence bags out over the weekend.'

'A ute towing a boat similar to that police allege Stein tried to use to dump Charlise’s body was captured on CCTV passing the popular Tractor 828 cafe at Ebenezer about 2.20am last Friday, January 14; six hours before Ms Mutten made the call to triple-0 to report her daughter missing.'

'Locals in the area said a man believed to be Stein had been seen travelling with Charlise around the area in the days before she was killed, even using the ferry to travel across into Lower Portland, where Ms Mutten was staying.
One ferry driver said his colleague claimed to have spoken to the “chatty” little girl, but noted “the bloke with her wouldn’t look him in the eye and just kept staring straight ahead”.'

'Police are also understood to have seized CCTV from the ferries that ship cars across the Hawkesbury River at Lower Portland and Sackville.
Detectives were also seen on Thursday visiting businesses along Bells Line of Road, which leads from the Colo River towards Mount Wilson.'

'The decision to let the Tweed Heads schoolgirl stay with her mother and soon-to-be stepfather two weeks ago was made by her grandmother in Coolangatta, who was given sole custody of Charlise in 2018 while former ice addict Ms Mutten was in jail.
It is understood that there were no court orders to let the mother spend any time with her daughter but any visits were left up to her grandmother. The distressed grandmother could not be contacted yesterday.
There were also no court orders for the little girl to spend time with her biological father, who lives in northern NSW.'

A lot to unpack here.
What sort of a mother having not seen her daughter for months leaves her with a crim on parole while she stays in a dodgy caravan park?

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What sort of a mother having not seen her daughter for months leaves her with a crim on parole while she stays in a dodgy caravan park?

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's reports of Charlise being in the caravan park and playing with other kids, so Charlise was definitely there.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
I just want to know why she went off to that ratty caravan when she was supposed to be staying at the Wildenstein

Maybe there was some family dispute Kallista Mutten had with someone(s) in Justin Stein's family, and she had been banished from Wildenstein?

A few missing links and dates in this case just reported today below.

'The mother gushed to a friend that she was engaged, happy and loving life in the Blue Mountains. Her fiance Justin Stein ... was the man of her dreams, she said in a series of Facebook messages obtained by the Herald.

“He’s amazing and treats me so good. He’s completely loyal and I have no worries, I know his heart is with me,” she told her friend, who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of her safety''

'The couple had met while Ms Mutten was in prison'

The pair had written letters to one another for the two remaining years of her prison sentence and were engaged soon after her release.'

'They were on a good wicket – the pair were contemplating a move to far North Queensland to find work and continue their new life together.'

'Ms Mutten had recently gotten her driver’s licence back after a long suspension following her conviction for dangerous driving occasioning death.'

'In the messages from December 5, she said she was excited to see her nine-year-old daughter Charlise, who would come to visit just before Christmas to spend her school holidays at Wildenstein'

My daughter comes on the 21st, so I’m looking forward to that,” she said.'

'Charlise was not in touch with her biological father Scott Hensby, a cousin of Mr Hensby said on Friday.'

'“Scott is extremely distraught, the whole family is distressed,” Shiney Lee Hensby said. “It is especially difficult because he hadn’t had contact with Charlise for a very long time, he and Kallista split up when Charlise was a baby.”'

'Homicide detectives are now awaiting the results of Charlise’s autopsy, which began on Thursday and continued on Friday,'

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
Perhaps the owners weren't happy with someone like Kallista staying at their property. I wouldn't want her there.
That makes too of us, coming up with the same thought just now, uncorroborated :)

Edit: You took the words right out of my mouth.

RIP Marvin Lee Aday

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
In the messages from December 5, she said she was excited to see her nine-year-old daughter Charlise, who would come to visit just before Christmas to spend her school holidays at Wildenstein'

My daughter comes on the 21st, so I’m looking forward to that,” she said.'
But did Charlise actually come on 21st December as per that FB exchange?

Or was the trip deferred for some reason until later in December or in early January?

Or was the trip actually always planned to be longer than 2 weeks, as originally reported in the media?

Perhaps the owners weren't happy with someone like Kallista staying at their property. I wouldn't want her there.

Maybe but I'd hope they might have had some class about it and kept it to themselves, especially while Charlise, was there

Lady O

Club Legend
Dec 8, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
But did Charlise actually come on 21st December as per that FB exchange?

Or was the trip deferred for some reason until later in December or in early January?

Or was the trip actually always planned to be longer than 2 weeks, as originally reported in the media?
IF, she arrived on the 21st she had already been there over three weeks before her murder. Perhaps the trip was delayed till after Christmas. So not sure why they keep saying it was a two week holiday.

There's reports of Charlise being in the caravan park and playing with other kids, so Charlise was definitely there.
Yes I’d forgotten that. I wonder if K and J had an argument and that’s why she went to the caravan park.

jason_recliner

Club Legend
Dec 9, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Maybe but I'd hope they might have had some class about it and kept it to themselves, especially while Charlise, was there
It's hard to be classy when you have to tell your (formerly?) drug-addicted son that his (formerly?) drug-addicted manslaughtering girlfriend is not welcome at your property. But sometimes you just have to do it.

It's hard to be classy when you have to tell your (formerly?) drug-addicted son that his (formerly?) drug-addicted manslaughtering girlfriend is not welcome at your property. But sometimes you just have to do it.

Why do you have to do it? Unless they were damaging property or swinging from the chandeliers, I think you'd have to be a bit of an a-hole to send them packing out of a great big empty house with a 9yo who isn't hurting anybody. If that's what happened.

jason_recliner

Club Legend
Dec 9, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Why do you have to do it? Unless they were damaging property or swinging from the chandeliers, I think you'd have to be a bit of an a-hole to send them packing out of a great big empty house with a 9yo who isn't hurting anybody. If that's what happened.
In my experience these sorts of people are very likely to damage property. They've never worked for anything, never achieved anything, never paid for anything, they have no concept of what things are worth. They use things and damage things, and then move on. It becomes somebody else's problem.

Yes, I think you’d want to believe your child could change, or improve. I know my son went through a rough patch in his teens (not drugs TG) but came through and is now a fine citizen, you always live in hope they can turn things around. Drugs of course are a huge problem to overcome, with mental problems thrown in, as they usually are. Still, as a parent, you live in hope.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
'Charlise Mutten's mother's caravan searched, declared a crime scene in murder investigation
8:36pm Jan 21, 2022'
'A Hawkesbury River caravan where Charlise Mutten spent time in the lead-up to her death remains under police guard after it declared a crime scene this afternoon.
Detectives spent hours forensically searching the shack on the banks of the Hawkesbury River where Charlise's mother, Kallista Mutten, was believed to have been staying on the night her daughter was allegedly killed by her fiancé more than 80 kilometres away in the Blue Mountains.'

'More than half a dozen officers bagged potential evidence and trawled through the inside of the Lower Portland holiday home'

'Police are trying to figure out why the nine-year-old was left in the care of Mr Stein, her future stepfather, in the Blue Mountains last Tuesday night while her mother stayed in the run-down caravan on the river.'

Aren't we all!

And we finally have a winner with Nine referring to Stein as her "future" stepfather.

So now we officially have a new crime scene (Caravan Park) with Nine having video of Police their today embedded in the above article.

'In the lead-up to her death, police believe Charlise was spending time between the Riviera Ski Gardens and a sprawling estate at Mount Wilson, both owned by the family of Justin Stein, the man accused of killing her.'

That makes sense why they were at that particular Caravan Park. Stein family owned it! (if the media report is correct)

Last edited:

Lions777

Debutant
Oct 20, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Still waiting to interview the mother then? Taking a bit. Might have something to do with being pregnant so I guess that would make sense.

Back