A beginners guide to rugby league - for newbies

Remove this Banner Ad

Could the AFL please move that ridiculous game to the next day, its interfering with the Storm Broncos clash, thank you.:D

the AFL grand final? Haha, if u think they ever would move it for a
minor nrl preliminary u must be stupid.

I feel like a ******** for asking this but someone PLUease explain the offside rule to me.

I hear em say"they're checking for onside"then I look at the screen and try to figure out what they are looking at.

Been watching for years but still don't know that rule.

Association Football(soccer)is easy but League.

...and union bloody hell,sometimes I wonder if the ref makes half em up

players on the kickers team must be behind him

That clears it up.

Thanks mate.

Silly for not realising that.

Hits head with Balmain bug.:eek:

Just wondering does the Aussie game have variations to the English one?

That clears it up.

Thanks mate.

Silly for not realising that.

Hits head with Balmain bug.:eek:

its gets complicated with a player thats offside they cant come within meters of the play..which is silly if they are 8 meters and a try is scored, by the letter of the law it should be a no try..
which is crazy lol

Just to get technical, the rule is not applied as such though.

Smasha, technically, the rule has always been applied in the sense that similar to soccer, the player must not be in front of the player.

So if Cam Smith is standing on the 20 metre line, grubbers the ball through, and Slater's feet are on the same line as Smith's, he is onside. If he's ahead of the 20 metre line, he's offside.

Generally in soccer it's easier to make the call, because the defenders are usually standing still or moving towards their own goal, with the striker sneaking in behind them. So the still shot is easier to grab. With RL, you are comparing two attacking players running in the same direction which makes it slightly tougher (though not all that difficult for the video ref)

Prior to 1895, there was just one code of Rugby.

In 1895, a group of clubs broke away to form their own League, which over time evolved into the game today that we know as Rugby League.

Here's the story behind the split.

1895 - The Great Divide: The Birth Of Rugby League

http://www.rl1908.com/History/1895.htm

Cheers for that, so basically it's a game formed for the peasants:cool:

So if Cam Smith is standing on the 20 metre line, grubbers the ball through, and Slater's feet are on the same line as Smith's, he is onside. If he's ahead of the 20 metre line, he's offside.

Just to add another wrinkle - if Smith then runs ahead of Slater and others that were in front of him when he kicked, he can put them back onside before the ball is played at by Slater etc. You will see this with the old-fashioned bomb, rather than a grubber or cross-field kick.

Just wondering does the Aussie game have variations to the English one?

Not really. I'm English (and in the UK) and I've been watched Superleague and Challenge Cup games here as well as the NRL on-line. There's a few minor differences, highlighted here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_rugby_league

but more comes down to referee's interpretation, I think. We don't seem to get as hung up about that "a team must advance 10 metres to have an advantage" as happens in the NRL.

I also agree that it's a shame they outlawed playing the play-the-ball to yourself. I remember the likes of the great Ellery Handley pinching a few tries like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A relic? Pretty much, I'd say. The scrum is just a restart. There are some who say it should therefore be abolished altogether, but there's also the point that the scrum ties opposition forwards up so that they're not available to defend when the ball quickly comes out. Nowadays you see some teams pack backs into the scrum instead, to free up forwards for this very reason.

The rules of league are directed to the primacy of the game being all about handling, tackling, and passing, compared to union, with its emphasis on setpieces (scrums, line-outs).

In other words, union fans who say "league scrums are rubbish" are kinda missing the point. League isn't about scrums.

I think the only reason the scrum still exists is to give the backline an oppertunity to put on an attacking move, but few sides (Tigers spring to mind) exploit this with any real competence.

I wouldnt mind a return to contested scrums, it could be done without making the game to scrappy IMO, but will never happen.

It's a consequence of the 'modern' offense; the game is much flatter. To keep the defence guessing (ie. can't tackle without the ball), you pass at the last moment when you have a player running on-to the ball - helps getting over the advantage line.

Watch the difference between the NH and SH union teams. SH teams (btw/ lots of RL influence) the backs run on-to the ball thus always going forward. NH seem to play at a standstill; recieve then run - much more sideways and back no little forward momentum (they make up for it with kicking).
Was watching the Wallabies and All Blacks game and the All Blacks looked like they were moving the ball faster....so this makes alot of sence.

Ok Now that the bulldogs are going to play games in adelaide, Ive decided to take more interest in the 'Rules'

If you get tackled with the ball on the fifth play then it's a 'turnover', meaning the opposition gets the ball from that position, virtually meaning that the opposition screwed up their chance of at least defending an extra 20+m.

If the kick goes out of play, then it's a scrum on the 20m line. If the ball goes out on the full then the attacking team get to play the ball where the kick was made.
Gotcha - wondered about that for a while.

The only time when a player gets an advantage for taking a mark is when an attacking player kicks near the line and the defending player takes the mark in the try 'area'. That team then gets the usual set starting from the 20m line then.
Now im confused???

If Team A kicks and a player from Team B catches the ball on the full in the 'in goal' then play resumes from a tap start from the 20m line.

That means if the attacking team kick a high ball into the in-goal (between the try-line and the dead-ball line), and a defending player catches it 'on the full' in the in-goal area, then the defending side can take a tap on their 20m line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back