patfullfankezz

Puhuhuhuhu!
Jul 28, 2011
Brisbane!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat, Wigan Athletic
WARNING: This might get sappy and/or preachy. Apologies in advance.

I'm going to admit right off the bat that I'm probably the most bitter and spiteful person I've ever met. Most people won't believe that, but that's only because I've learned to hold my tongue and keep my temper by forcing myself to be a pacifist. I don't like hurting people, unfortunately when I get angry it's so easy for me to deliver a very cutting and hurting remark designed to wound someone as much as possible (even though I'm not 100% to blame for my engagement falling apart, I certainly didn't help).

Last night I got very angry at the football, not helped by the sour old grump sitting next to me who had nothing nice to say about our team. I wanted to say some really nasty things to the Collingwood boys and to the umpires out of the anger that my team was getting pumped, and I am really quite ashamed of that. I woke up to it around the 10-minute mark of the third term, thinking "What the bloody hell are you doing Kezz?!" Just because I didn't say those things doesn't make it any more right (and I'm not going to share them because they are simply quite disgusting, thankfully not racist or sexist but still awful). If anything had happened to any of those Pies boys I would have been devastated. Like I said, I don't like seeing people hurt, and sending bad vibes someones way over a stupid football match is probably the lowest of the low. So I did my best to ignore the sour grump next to me and focused on not being a terrible human being.

The first step was learning to hold my tongue. Now I'm going to try and stop being a nasty piece of work just because my team is losing to a team I don't like. Next weekend is going to be a huge test for me, because I really don't like the cold toast scums. I really want to be a good footy fan, not just someone who looks like one. By being bitter and spiteful, I'm only ruining my enjoyment of the game, and if I said anything out of spite, I'd ruin the game for others, which I really don't want to do. So I'm going to try and nurture the "big sister" part of me that is a bit protective of every player that runs onto that field and hopes like crazy they don't get hurt. Another part of being a big sister is setting a good example, so there's even more reason to stop being so internally nasty.

Just wanted to share because it's been weighing on my conscience since last night. Either that or it's the $100 worth of barley sugar I bought at Tom's Confectionery Warehouse after the game (don't be friends with Essendon fans, they're a bad influence lol).

WARNING: This might get sappy and/or preachy. Apologies in advance.

I'm going to admit right off the bat that I'm probably the most bitter and spiteful person I've ever met. Most people won't believe that, but that's only because I've learned to hold my tongue and keep my temper by forcing myself to be a pacifist. I don't like hurting people, unfortunately when I get angry it's so easy for me to deliver a very cutting and hurting remark designed to wound someone as much as possible (even though I'm not 100% to blame for my engagement falling apart, I certainly didn't help).

Last night I got very angry at the football, not helped by the sour old grump sitting next to me who had nothing nice to say about our team. I wanted to say some really nasty things to the Collingwood boys and to the umpires out of the anger that my team was getting pumped, and I am really quite ashamed of that. I woke up to it around the 10-minute mark of the third term, thinking "What the bloody hell are you doing Kezz?!" Just because I didn't say those things doesn't make it any more right (and I'm not going to share them because they are simply quite disgusting, thankfully not racist or sexist but still awful). If anything had happened to any of those Pies boys I would have been devastated. Like I said, I don't like seeing people hurt, and sending bad vibes someones way over a stupid football match is probably the lowest of the low. So I did my best to ignore the sour grump next to me and focused on not being a terrible human being.

The first step was learning to hold my tongue. Now I'm going to try and stop being a nasty piece of work just because my team is losing to a team I don't like. Next weekend is going to be a huge test for me, because I really don't like the cold toast scums. I really want to be a good footy fan, not just someone who looks like one. By being bitter and spiteful, I'm only ruining my enjoyment of the game, and if I said anything out of spite, I'd ruin the game for others, which I really don't want to do. So I'm going to try and nurture the "big sister" part of me that is a bit protective of every player that runs onto that field and hopes like crazy they don't get hurt. Another part of being a big sister is setting a good example, so there's even more reason to stop being so internally nasty.

Just wanted to share because it's been weighing on my conscience since last night. Either that or it's the $100 worth of barley sugar I bought at Tom's Confectionery Warehouse after the game (don't be friends with Essendon fans, they're a bad influence lol).

Pretty brutal self-assessment. Everyone has their own way to cope with footy stress. I find watching an excellent game each weekend (that may or may not be the Lions) helps me to retain my love of the game and mitigate my response to my teams poor performances. Also means that I can see how far we have yet to go - losing is easier when the opponent is playing great consistently.

I was able to enjoy most of the losses last year as the games were close, we took control of the games at times and we stayed right in them till the end. Games like last night are crap but I know the players are truly dedicated (eg most of them pushing in their off season break), some want to become game greats (charlie, neale, andrews have openly stated that) and will genuinely be hurting and beating themselves up.

If that fails half a dozen drinks and talking to total strangers at the game can be quite distracting.

Pretty brutal self-assessment. Everyone has their own way to cope with footy stress. I find watching an excellent game each weekend (that may or may not be the Lions) helps me to retain my love of the game and mitigate my response to my teams poor performances. Also means that I can see how far we have yet to go - losing is easier when the opponent is playing great consistently.

I was able to enjoy most of the losses last year as the games were close, we took control of the games at times and we stayed right in them till the end. Games like last night are crap but I know the players are truly dedicated (eg most of them pushing in their off season break), some want to become game greats (charlie, neale, andrews have openly stated that) and will genuinely be hurting and beating themselves up.

If that fails half a dozen drinks and talking to total strangers at the game can be quite distracting.

Doesn't hurt to have the odd brutally honest self-assessment. It's whether or not I actually follow through that counts.

I try to watch as much footy as I can no matter what happens. Life is so much better with football.

I'm a good person most of the time but I do turn emotionally feral after a depressing loss.

What I like to see as soon as possible afterward is another club cop a fearful belting. Like the hapless North yesterday or the Eagles last night. Whist I hold no truck with Port, I did enjoy the cocky self entitled Eagles supporters eating humble pie in their home seats. Particularly satisfying was that for the most part, I hardly detected the "BOOOOOO!!!!!-ing" chorus that inevitably erupts any time they don't get their way.

Funny thing is that I don't even feel "guilty" about :devil:

Sounds like you need to book yourself into therapy. If you are getting that worked up and that emotionally invested in something you have zero control over then its cause for concern.
Hope it works out for you.

I use watching sports as a type of therapy i guess. Its like screaming on top of a mountain or something useless. What does it matter if i get mad about a game.. Rather de-stress myself there than in more personal internal things!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back