A Call To All Sainters

Remove this Banner Ad

347GT

Rookie
Jul 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't post a lot but I am part of a loyal StKilda family.
I have followed the Saints since 1976.

Our current debt predicament is stiffling us and hanging over us like a black cloud.
I realise it's mostly due to some poor decisions as well as a ludicrous stadium deal with Etihad.
However to be a force in the Afl, as we all crave for, we need to be financial to have any hope.
Also we need to be solid to attract free agents and quality players.

We haven't been so.
But we do all love the club or we wouldn't be here.

I think we should start a campaign to raise funds. Even though this will be objectional to some as most have given plenty but if we are to be successful and survive it probably needs to be done or perhaps give up and check out ?

40000 members times $100 would halve our debt. I know not everyone could afford or be prepared to give that but some might give more. In any case anything will help.

I'm prepared to put in $100 for each Sainter in this house.
I think if this were to get rolling though a clear and fervent commitment from the club regarding our future and the path to success would need to be put forward. With ACCOUNTABILITY.

This has all been done before with the SOS campaign. Players being paid cents in the dollar etc.
That is true.
If we love the club we can save it but the club needs to do something for us.
I welcome your thoughts.

I'd contribute funds to the club, it's a great idea but might be hard ton convince 'fans' to hand over more money whilst we're still having really poor performances. That being said, you only have to look at Richmond supporters who opened their wallets to the club and helped completely wipe their debt. They now have their first premiership in nearly 40 years. Not in any way suggesting that we would do the same by wiping debt or at least some of it, but it can have a massive impact on the club in a positive manner. Even if we had something like a go fund me, or somewhere to give donations to the club on game days, would be a great idea. But it's all a lot easier to say than to implement something like that.

The debt isn't really that bad, debt isn't automatically bad.

Our new Etihad deal changes things for the positive, too. I don't want to see the club waste unnecessary money, but I don't think we need another SOS campaign just yet.

I remember the last SOS campaign had this hot blonde girl that used to roam at Waverley (along with plenty of others), I used to always try to wait to put money in her rattle tin and pull out big notes to look like a high roller then be wishing by about Wednesday I hadn't. Sad *er. Eating two minute noodles to impress some bogan chick who was probably a players girlfriend anyway.

I will put in if there is some hot tin rattlers in other words. Make it happen and I will pay up.

I remember the last SOS campaign had this hot blonde girl that used to roam at Waverley (along with plenty of others), I used to always try to wait to put money in her rattle tin and pull out big notes to look like a high roller then be wishing by about Wednesday I hadn't. Sad ******. Eating two minute noodles to impress some bogan chick who was probably a players girlfriend anyway.

I will put in if there is some hot tin rattlers in other words. Make it happen and I will pay up.
I second that motion

I tell you what, I'll give the club $2 for every goal Tim Membrey scores this season, and -$1 for every behind. So if he scores 50 goals and 10 behinds for example, I'll donate $100 - $10 = $90. If it ends up being an amount less than $50, I'll just give $50 instead.

I dare you guys to do something like that!

Last edited:
I tell you what, I'll give the club $2 for every goal Tim Membrey scores this season, and -$1 for every behind. So if he scores 50 goals and 10 behinds for example, I'll donate $100 - $10 = $90. If it ends up being an amount less than $50, I'll just give $50 instead.

I'll donate $150,000 for every mark Longer takes.
If he doesn't take any for the rest of the season then he owes me $150,000.
Sounds fair:drunk:

Same mate, 4 members in this house = $400. Make it happen

I think we should start a campaign to raise funds.
347GT.......I like your concept.......the only thing may be that supporters who gave money for the Moorabbin project may feel a bit "tapped out" with giving dollars to the club.

We still have a bit of a way to go with raising the $7.6 Mill that the club was putting towards the project.

I believe the with Cats and the Roos,you could make a donation to the club when renewing your membership.

Maybe that's the way to go.

How much money did they blow on seaford? In Nick Riewoldts autobiography, he mentioned not only was it too far away for the players to travel and it caused a lot of negative energy among the playing group, but the facilities were substandard. Why bother to relocate and then build outdated equipment for the players.

Then there is the little issue of Richo contracted until the end of 2020. Anyone knows how much he is on ?

Tin rattling is fine if we are all on the same wave length, clearly we are not with our CEO,admin, recruiters and coaching staff. To many bad decisions, donating to them is like feeding a gambling addict with continual loans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The debt isn't really that bad, debt isn't automatically bad.

Our new Etihad deal changes things for the positive, too. I don't want to see the club waste unnecessary money, but I don't think we need another SOS campaign just yet.
Its not bad at all and ALL is thread is ridiculous

Talk about fools and money soon parted.

Some hear debt and panic. Anybody ever own a house? What was your debt?

30 years ago I came to Melbourne with all my possessions in the back of a 73 Cortina and a $600 bankcard debt.

What a loser.

Nowdays, I am super successful owing over 1.5 million. Wow Im in huge trouble, except my equity is worth twice that amount.

Sorry to sound crass, not bragging, just an example of concentrating on one aspect of the Balance Sheet.

Debt, equity, worth, all an illusion. Finance is alchemy.

Its not real.

Just like Saints debt. You hear 10 million, but suddenly there is a 13 mill injection into facilities and all up a 50 mill capital injection into Bayside.

If that aint a going concern, nothing is.

Sunny1993. Comments?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I agree with you in general, but the difference is we don’t own Moorabbin do we, and have no ability to sell anything to make use of that equity. Also there are interest payments on that debt which is just money down the drain (less some tax benefit possibly).
You could sell your houses (presumably, or first edition Pokémon cards possibly?) to access your $3mil equity.

But your point that not all debt is bad is valid.

Its not bad at all and ALL is thread is ridiculous

Talk about fools and money soon parted.

Some hear debt and panic. Anybody ever own a house? What was your debt?

30 years ago I came to Melbourne with all my possessions in the back of a 73 Cortina and a $600 bankcard debt.

What a loser.

Nowdays, I am super successful owing over 1.5 million. Wow Im in huge trouble, except my equity is worth twice that amount.

Sorry to sound crass, not bragging, just an example of concentrating on one aspect of the Balance Sheet.

Debt, equity, worth, all an illusion. Finance is alchemy.

Its not real.

Just like Saints debt. You hear 10 million, but suddenly there is a 13 mill injection into facilities and all up a 50 mill capital injection into Bayside.

If that aint a going concern, nothing is.

Sunny1993. Comments?

Braggart. Someone got up a bit of a head wobble while typing.;) Anyway pay down your mortgage quicker and it's even better. Servicing debt is expensive, do you know if we pay interest on our debt or is it loaned from the AFL as an interest free set up? Is the debt we owe from the building of Moorabbin or is it a mysterious asset write down debt so no tax is paid? I love you and Sunny taking an interest in our finances and I read them and still don't give a * to take an interest.

I will donate $10 for ever kick Longer has. And $100 for every contested mark. I wont actually. No donations from me but I hope we get a few. Anything that helps the club is a good idea.

and have no ability to sell anything to make use of that equity. Also there are interest payments on that debt which is just money down the drain (less some tax benefit possibly).
You could sell your houses (presumably, or first edition Pokémon cards possibly?) to access your $3mil equity.
An interesting point there......both Collingwood and the Hawks have a large asset value on their books.

Is the Holden Centre on Crown land?

Did the Hawks buy the land at Waverley Park....the Oval and grandstand.?

I also think they both have Pokies venues that were purchased...not sure on that one.

This may explain their high asset values on the books.

Is the debt we owe from the building of Moorabbin or is it a mysterious asset write down debt so no tax
gringo....my understanding is that the building of Moorabbin is separate to other money area's of the club(as in our constantly quoted "debt" figure...re Joffaboys post above)........sunny and Joffaboy may know more on this one.

Of the total cost of $30 Mill for the Moorabbin project.......$22.4 Mill was coming from the AFL/AFL VIC,Kingston Council.Victorian Govt and a minor amount from local leagues.

We had to raise the balance $7.6 Mill.

gringo....my understanding is that the building of Moorabbin is separate to other money area's of the club(as in our constantly quoted "debt" figure...re Joffaboys post above)........sunny and Joffaboy may know more on this one.

Of the total cost of $30 Mill for the Moorabbin project.......$22.4 Mill was coming from the AFL/AFL VIC,Kingston Council.Victorian Govt and a minor amount from local leagues.

We had to raise the balance $7.6 Mill.
I dont know s**t mate, dont know what our assets are made up of or how we come to have 4 mill in equity.

Just interceding when people use debt as a big stick to scare people.

Kennett did that in the 90's to sell the SEC. As I worked on the liquidation, I know that the SEC had 8 billion in non operating assets that were fire sold probably to mates of the Libs.

We have 4 mill in equity mean 4 mill in the black.
We have certain assets that may or may not be at market value, but simplistically if we sold at book value, we would have no debt.

Using debt to drive an agenda is just so simplistic and disingenuous.

Have donated thousands to the club over the years.

Had mentioned fundraising on here last year but that's stalled, there were about 20 posters or so willing to help chip in so we could let the club sign up disadvantaged families as members/get them to go to games.

Will always financially support the club wherever I can. Signing up every year is a no brainer for me but I guess everyone is different.

Tbh I'f our 40k members all paid an extra $12.50 a year we could afford the 500k s year to have a standalone team in the VFL.

We'd make bucket loads off the bar alone.

This isn't actully a bad idea
Most of us would put in 50 bucks and we could prob get near on 8 or 900
It could actually be done

Have donated thousands to the club over the years.

Had mentioned fundraising on here last year but that's stalled, there were about 20 posters or so willing to help chip in so we could let the club sign up disadvantaged families as members/get them to go to games.

Will always financially support the club wherever I can. Signing up every year is a no brainer for me but I guess everyone is different.
I'm with you there George..........good on you.......great stuff!!!!!

Non supporting Saints people think I'm a nut job....I give the club money.....and in turn get tortured...lol.

BTW.....what happened with the fundraiser.....to cause it to stall?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back