Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2000
Belgrave
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Picked this up out of this mornings Herald Sun
RICHMOND finally got a ''live'' look at the talents of 17-year-old Andrew Krakouer at Punt Rd yesterday afternoon.

Krakouer's surprise recruiting in the national draft was based heavily on a video which featured highlights of him in a handful of junior games.

The son of former North Melbourne champion Jim Krakouer, who played alongside his brother Phil at Arden St, Andrew played only seven games for South Fremantle Colts this year.

Richmond recruiting manager Greg Beck is suitably impressed.

''The tapes were pretty good . . . they showed he had some attributes to play league footy,'' Beck said with a broad grin.

''Obviously, he still has got a lot of work to do, but he also has some special attributes.''

The Tigers figured that if Krakouer continued to develop he would become a recruiting target next season for the Kangaroos when they could have snared him under the father-son rule.

So they decided to take a punt and draft him now.

Victorian-born Krakouer said while Perth was a nice place he wanted to return ''home'' and have a crack at the AFL.

''Mum and Dad have told me that I have got the opportunity now, so just grab it with both hands and do the best you can,'' he said.

''My father was really excited that I have got a chance with Richmond.''

He said any club would have been fine ''just as long as you get chance''.

Krakouer said Rich mond was the only club to talk to him, but he didn't tell his mates of the approaches.

He thought that because his season had been interrupted with ankle injuries, he had not done enough to attract the interest of clubs.

''I thought if anyone was interested they'd wait a year before making a decision because this year wasn't my best,'' he said.

Krakouer will be joined in Melbourne by his mother Fiona who wants to ensure that her son, who last lived here when he was 11, has no problems with the move from Fremantle.

Richmond football manager Garry O'Sullivan said the club had no thoughts about when Krakouer might play senior football.

''If it's next year terrific, and if we have to wait 12 months, so be it,'' he said.

''That decision will be made by the coaches, but we are in for the long haul.''

I note that Garry O'Sullivan has been quoted here. Maybe as tiger_of_old suggests, a new position has been created?

------------------
This is a hallucination and these faces are in a dream. A computer generated environment; a fantasy island you can do anything and not have to face the consequences.

Interesting to see that Richmond drafted Krakouer one year before Nth Melb could get him under the ather/son rule. This could be a huge coup if he turns out to be half the player of Jimmy.

i agree oh_my_hat i couldnt understand why north wouldnt at least talk to the lad but their loss hopefully is our gain.
i read from the E group from a tiger fan who went to training and he mentioned that he showed some skill already with his passing with both feet.he also mentioned that both coughlan and [um errrrrrr his name escapes me at the minute the young lad we picked up 1st} look the goods and that chaffy and draga have beefed up a bit.
cheers!

Pettifer

------------------
This is a hallucination and these faces are in a dream. A computer generated environment; a fantasy island you can do anything and not have to face the consequences.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back