A clever article by Patrick Smith today

Remove this Banner Ad

I ran that link throught the australian website again as I thought it was a beat up.
I thought that it was odd that Gieschen asked the commentators for "consistency" in regards of the umpires. He seems to have borrowed some of Aaron hamill's Angry juice as that's a rant and a half against fevola, the clubs and so forth. perhaps giesch should be concentrating on the umpires instead of the goal kicking skills of brendan fevola or the direction of ratten.
My opinion of the article and the rant = :confused:

Seems someone missed the point ^^^.

Anyway, not really interesting. Don't believe the parallels are there for it to be effective.

I ran that link throught the australian website again as I thought it was a beat up.
I thought that it was odd that Gieschen asked the commentators for "consistency" in regards of the umpires. He seems to have borrowed some of Aaron hamill's Angry juice as that's a rant and a half against fevola, the clubs and so forth. perhaps giesch should be concentrating on the umpires instead of the goal kicking skills of brendan fevola or the direction of ratten.
My opinion of the article and the rant = :confused:

Hahahhahah!!!

FAIL...Awesome.:p

It's not really a valid point. Fev missing the goal means Carlton lose because the Carlton footy team didn't do enough to win. Hypothetically, a s**t decision in a < 6 point game can mean a team wins without doing enough to win.

Players making errors effecting the result is fine, it's what footy's about. Umpires making errors effecting the result is not.

It's not really a valid point. Fev missing the goal means Carlton lose because the Carlton footy team didn't do enough to win. Hypothetically, a s**t decision in a < 6 point game can mean a team wins without doing enough to win.

Players making errors effecting the result is fine, it's what footy's about. Umpires making errors effecting the result is not.

So you accept that playeres are humans and umpires are not ?

I get incredibly annoyed at umpires at times and even after winning on Saturday discussed how the umps had been against us ! The truth is though footy would be the hardest game to officiate that I can think of. So many grey areas.

So you accept that playeres are humans and umpires are not ?

I get incredibly annoyed at umpires at times and even after winning on Saturday discussed how the umps had been against us ! The truth is though footy would be the hardest game to officiate that I can think of. So many grey areas.
Of course umpires are human and they're going to make mistakes.

I'm just refuting the argument that because players make lots of mistakes, it's ok for umpires to do so too. Furthermore, skill errors are different (and more likely to occur) than mental errors.

I'm just refuting the argument that because players make lots of mistakes, it's ok for umpires to do so too. Furthermore, skill errors are different (and more likely to occur) than mental errors.

Exactly. It was a interesting read and was pretty funny but the analogy didn't quite work

Fevola attempted to kick a goal, but kicked a point instead. The umpiring equivalent of that would be the umpire attempting to call a holding the ball but having his whistle miss his mouth

Absolutely.

The umpires should never influence the outcome of a game. If they do so due to an error, they will be pilloried.

Now if they were unidentifiable [no numbers] and not mic'd to the TV boadcasters we wouldn't know who to target with our scorn. Much better for the individual umpire.

This nation has thankfully been built on the tenants of questioning authority. When authority stuffs up it deservedly cops a spray.

The AFL do not recognise the need for people to vent when authority fouls up and while they continue to be so heavy handed over the issue it will maintain the media focus.

What they need to do is to acctually stop defending the umpiring errors and highlight the level of consistancy of interpretation. The problem then though is thst would make them look bloody terrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Player errors are under player control. Hence if they stuff up it's their fault. Umpire errors are out of clubs/players control and you're at the mercy of them with no control. Big, big difference.

Not such a clever comparison.

Of course it's OK for umpires to make mistakes, there is no such thing as a perfect umpire. It's not unacceptable to be human.

This is probably the first Patrick Smith article that has just a bit of intelligence in years. Great work!

I think this is a good article by Smith. Some people here seemed to have not understood it overly well. Maybe the Australian is a little advanced for some, dont worry thats why the Herald Sun is printed.

It's not clever at all.

The comparison just isn't there. The umpires aren't competing for anything. The players are. Big difference

It's not clever at all.

The comparison just isn't there. The umpires aren't competing for anything. The players are. Big difference
The umpires are competing for their spots in the AFL. If they don't umpire well enough, they will be dropped back to state leagues. If they umpire very well, they might get to umpire finals footy, or even the Grand Final. Believe it or not, the umpires are not decision making robots randomly selected by a computer for each game.

^^ Exactly. When player's stuff up they have to answer to the club and their fans so don't worry about that.

This Patrick flog loves himself to much. Has some interesting perspective on some subjects but his judgement is often clouded by his own ego. He's not that different to the w***ers he criticizes and lampoons. lmao

Fevola attempted to kick a goal, but kicked a point instead. The umpiring equivalent of that would be the umpire attempting to call a holding the ball but having his whistle miss his mouth

Yes, exactly. Or you could say that the equivalent of a umpire making an incorrect decision would have been for Fevolva to decide to handball the ball through the goals instead of kicking it. In which case, the media personalities would have instantly decried Fevola as a moron.

Not really, but my comparison is about as apt as the analogy used in the article. That's why its not clever, but as has been said the article is by Patrick Smith, so I wouldn't expect anything less.

I think the point is valid. Fevola made a mistake in that his job is to kick goals and he missed a fairly easy one for his standard. An umpire's job is to make the correct decision in a fast, free flowing contact sport, and sometimes they get it wrong.

As an example I saw Rocca try and fake a free up at the Gabba a couple of weeks ago (he was pretending to be held, I was sitting in the top level of the stand near the front and had a good view of it and could clearly see it was all playacting) which the umpires saw through but the MMM boys didn't, and then proceeded to accuse the umpires of getting it wrong. Commentators make mistakes too.

The umpires are competing for their spots in the AFL. If they don't umpire well enough, they will be dropped back to state leagues. If they umpire very well, they might get to umpire finals footy, or even the Grand Final. Believe it or not, the umpires are not decision making robots randomly selected by a computer for each game.

The umpires are not the game. The players are the game.

That is the big difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back