Opinion A couple of off season questions...

Remove this Banner Ad

Leppitsch concedes the Tigers battled to keep their form strong in the last six weeks of the 2018 season as they managed the post-Round 23 bye and Dustin Martin’s finals knee injury.

But he said the Tigers were determined to focus on the 95 per cent of positives rather than the five per cent that went wrong as the Eagles instead won the premiership.

Recruit Tom Lynch has started running after more minor knee surgery.

Leppitsch said his inclusion in next year’s team would not significantly change the club’s game style.

With two talls the club might be able to kick the ball high and low to its forwards more, but “there won’t be massive evolution of our game style”.

Leppitsch will replace Ben Rutten in the role for 2019, returning to the line where he cut his teeth as a Tigers assistant coach before becoming Brisbane’s senior coach.

He is widely credited with helping Alex Rance meet his potential but says after coaching the club’s forwards in recent years he can only help an experienced back six maintain their amazing form.

Source: Herald-Sun

Even the coaches said it bojangleberg
We slipped in the last 6 weeks - it seems everyone on the planet knew it apart from the eternal optimists.
My case was irrefutable, I needn’t repeat myself , scroll above for reference

Agree with both sides of this form in the last 6 weeks arguement. I think we cruised a bit going into finals and were found out a bit against out and out attack.

I think we ran out of midfielders. Cotchin was the best mid in the game for the first half of the season, but tailed off a bit. Martin was less dominant and played injured late. Edwards was probably our best mid for the entire year, but he is not a consistent high ball getter. After that we had Prestia and Lambert, who had a solid seasons but barely a Best on Ground. Conca who was ok as a contested player, Graham who whilst has great pressure doesn't get much of it. Grigg is out of position on the wing. MacIntosh was passable. etc

When we came up against strong inform midfields later in the season, we struggled a bit. This showed up big time in the finals series. This is not the first time.

We need a tagger to sit on the really good players occassionally. If you let an in form Sidebottom for example get the ball often you will struggle as he uses it so well. We need our next tier players like Higgins and Rioli to step up into the midfield and help, equally we need some outside run and carry players to break the lines. Menadue, Markov, perhaps Weller.

I really rate Nankervis but he needs help so that we don't lose that intensity when he is off ball.

Our back line is quality, we score heavily and Lynch will only help, but we need more players besides our stars to carry the load in the midfield. I think we have the next tier of players to do it, but to go deep into finals and to win a GF you really need all cylinders firing, like WC and to a lesser extent Collingwood did.

Last edited:
we may have only dropped 4 games for the yr but three of those losses were drubbings in anyones language.

There was also many games where sides were right in it till 3/4 time and we did win a couple where we were lucky.

Nothing is guaranteed we may cop a run of injuries like Adelaide and miss finals altogether.There are no easy games and in all likelyhood the competition will be even more even than ever.

we didnt struggle , we were just cruising. top 2 was locked in

say what you want but have heard from multiple sources at the club that 70% of the playing group had gastro for the prelim and dustys knee was obviously ******.

dont change nothing, we wont have gastro next year in prelim week. im tipping we will belt whoever we play
who hacked your account?

Leppitsch concedes the Tigers battled to keep their form strong in the last six weeks of the 2018 season as they managed the post-Round 23 bye and Dustin Martin’s finals knee injury.

But he said the Tigers were determined to focus on the 95 per cent of positives rather than the five per cent that went wrong as the Eagles instead won the premiership.

Recruit Tom Lynch has started running after more minor knee surgery.

Leppitsch said his inclusion in next year’s team would not significantly change the club’s game style.

With two talls the club might be able to kick the ball high and low to its forwards more, but “there won’t be massive evolution of our game style”.

Leppitsch will replace Ben Rutten in the role for 2019, returning to the line where he cut his teeth as a Tigers assistant coach before becoming Brisbane’s senior coach.

He is widely credited with helping Alex Rance meet his potential but says after coaching the club’s forwards in recent years he can only help an experienced back six maintain their amazing form.

Source: Herald-Sun

Know what you got for Xmas - a new magic kit and you are playing with your invisible ink!

The only thing I think we did differently between 2017 and 2018 is in 2017 we didnt hesitate to introduce new players into the side and give them a decent run, any niggles to regulars and we seemed to err on the side of caution, resting them and bringing in another soldier.

Felt we went away from that philosophy slightly towards the end of the season, I felt all of Dusty, Cotch and Nankervis couldve done with an extra week or 2 off at various stages of the season to freshen them up, especially given that it was obvious Cotch and Dusty were playing sore/hampered for the 2nd half of the season.

I think we spoke/focused too much about keeping the same team together throughout the season when imho its better to keep introducing new blood into the side, it freshens us up and their attitude to prove themselves and exuberance is infectious to the rest of the side. We cruised through the last 5 weeks, form didnt dip imo, but I truly believe that subconsciously, we became too comfortable and when that happens its not as simple as flicking a switch to get back the eye of the tiger. Perhaps if we blooded a few of the younger guys (Moore, Garth, naish, Markov, Balta) in that period, their desperation to try and steal a starting spot before finals, mightve created a buzz to regenerate some excitement and fire amongst the rest of the boys who may have become subconsciously complacent.

If Lynch, Garth and hopefully 1-2 other youngsters(Markov, Ross, Balta, Menadue) force their way into the best 22 by seasons end and we have all of our big guns fit and on the park, I think we'll be in a really good position.

Thats my theory anyway.

The only thing I think we did differently between 2017 and 2018 is in 2017 we didnt hesitate to introduce new players into the side and give them a decent run, any niggles to regulars and we seemed to err on the side of caution, resting them and bringing in another soldier.

Felt we went away from that philosophy slightly towards the end of the season, I felt all of Dusty, Cotch and Nankervis couldve done with an extra week or 2 off at various stages of the season to freshen them up, especially given that it was obvious Cotch and Dusty were playing sore/hampered for the 2nd half of the season.

I think we spoke/focused too much about keeping the same team together throughout the season when imho its better to keep introducing new blood into the side, it freshens us up and their attitude to prove themselves and exuberance is infectious to the rest of the side. We cruised through the last 5 weeks, form didnt dip imo, but I truly believe that subconsciously, we became too comfortable and when that happens its not as simple as flicking a switch to get back the eye of the tiger. Perhaps if we blooded a few of the younger guys (Moore, Garth, naish, Markov, Balta) in that period, their desperation to try and steal a starting spot before finals, mightve created a buzz to regenerate some excitement and fire amongst the rest of the boys who may have become subconsciously complacent.

If Lynch, Garth and hopefully 1-2 other youngsters(Markov, Ross, Balta, Menadue) force their way into the best 22 by seasons end and we have all of our big guns fit and on the park, I think we'll be in a really good position.

Thats my theory anyway.
Said it throughout the year.Moreso in regards too Nank.People complained Grundy beat Nank in the prelim.Least Grundy had a chopout in usa.Better player management for our only ruckman should have been our #1 priority.

I don't think we peaked too early, more that sides worked out how to beat us, with the Pies being the side that got it right when it mattered.

As for the start of this season I can see us going 2-4 as we work out the best way to incorporate Lynch and adjust to the 6-6-6 starting positions. One of our key set ups at times was running 1-2 extra numbers off the back of the square opening up more space in the forward half of the ground.

I don't think we peaked too early, more that sides worked out how to beat us, with the Pies being the side that got it right when it mattered.

As for the start of this season I can see us going 2-4 as we work out the best way to incorporate Lynch and adjust to the 6-6-6 starting positions. One of our key set ups at times was running 1-2 extra numbers off the back of the square opening up more space in the forward half of the ground.
We will not be 2-4.
I think we will adjust just fine with Lynch, it's not like we have never had the 2nd KPF and yes TV and Griff do count. Look how good we looked when Jack and Towny were tag teaming, we adjusted pretty damn fast there.
6-6-6 is invalid as soon as the ball is bounced, too many people over thinking this dumb rule.
Every team ran extras off the back but only dees and pies did it every bounce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had a shocking 45 minutes of football we played just about all year and alot went wrong for the tigers in that game
Dusties injury , Gastro , Defenders playing terribly , Coaches not reacting quickly enough to correct the problems

Collingwood played their grand final in that game and played the best they did all year

But after midway through the 2nd quarter even though everything went against us that day we still beat them after that period of the game,

2.8.20 - 10.4 start thats what got us , If we were closer i think the boys would have grinded them down as the eagles did in the GF
Pie's Choke

They wont make top 4 in 2019 and will be lucky to make the 8 - Dont rate them at all just a good mdfield and a Ruckman then
Nothing but junk

We had a shocking 45 minutes of football we played just about all year and alot went wrong for the tigers in that game
Dusties injury , Gastro , Defenders playing terribly , Coaches not reacting quickly enough to correct the problems

Collingwood played their grand final in that game and played the best they did all year

But after midway through the 2nd quarter even though everything went against us that day we still beat them after that period of the game,

2.8.20 - 10.4 start thats what got us , If we were closer i think the boys would have grinded them down as the eagles did in the GF
Pie's Choke

They wont make top 4 in 2019 and will be lucky to make the 8 - Dont rate them at all just a good mdfield and a Ruckman then
Nothing but junk
I rate them a tad better than junk...
Will be interesting seeing how they cope with a tougher draw...
We will find out where the wobbles stand with us after the early rematch...
Reckon it will be a tight first half then we grind them down for a loss...

Our record on the road in 2018 needs to be addressed too.

True, but we did finish on top. And this year if you take out Marvel which is not 'on the road', we only have Sydney GWS(1), Adelaide (2) Optus (1) and Metricon(1). A total of 5 games. Not too worrying unless we want to go through undefeated!!
Not even going to the Cattery!

Said it throughout the year.Moreso in regards too Nank.People complained Grundy beat Nank in the prelim.Least Grundy had a chopout in usa.Better player management for our only ruckman should have been our #1 priority.
Let’s hope we are in the position to rest him for more games this year and we find a capable 2nd ruck amongst our kids. He was running on empty by seasons end.
When he’s fit and firing his ground level work is important in clearances, he just keeps throwing that big body into contests.
While on clearances/contested ball I think that’ll be a big focus preseason. Caracalla said as much recently, that Kingsley is putting a lot of work into improving that area

Let’s hope we are in the position to rest him for more games this year and we find a capable 2nd ruck amongst our kids. He was running on empty by seasons end.
When he’s fit and firing his ground level work is important in clearances, he just keeps throwing that big body into contests.
While on clearances/contested ball I think that’ll be a big focus preseason. Caracalla said as much recently, that Kingsley is putting a lot of work into improving that area
Certainly a must.How do we achieve it without throwing our balance out of whack too much.
Balta seems to be most logical at this stage as he can play in a number of positions.
IN: 2 Talls(Lynch & Balta)
OUT:Broad & a mid/small?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back