A cricket simulator I made

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
My wife got me the old Test Match board game for Christmas. Not the one with the green felt mat, the metal ball and the plastic fielders (have had that one since I was a kid), but the even older 2D one from the 1950s:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18657/test-match

This is not so much of a game as a device for simulating a test match. The board holds a score board and two rotating randomizers. The bowler rotates his handle to first ball of the over and back to the start, revealing a type of ball (leg break, bouncer, etc). The batsman rotates his handle to the type of ball bowled, and back again, revealing a batsman scoring runs or being dismissed. If you know the rules of cricket, it's obvious how to simulate a test match given these rules.
It's so bad it's good. It's 100% luck-based, no skill required at all. And it's possible to be bowled by a bouncer. And LBW.

Was all out for 60 in my first go :laughv1:

I thought about dusting off my ancient and unused programming skills to convert it into an electronic version just to see if I can, and here is the result:

https://antipodeangames.itch.io/cricket-simulator

Be kind :love:

My wife got me the old Test Match board game for Christmas. Not the one with the green felt mat, the metal ball and the plastic fielders (have had that one since I was a kid), but the even older 2D one from the 1950s:

It's so bad it's good. It's 100% luck-based, no skill required at all. And it's possible to be bowled by a bouncer. And LBW.

I thought about dusting off my ancient and unused programming skills to convert it into an electronic version just to see if I can, and here is the result:

The very first thing I coded as a kid was a cricket scorecard generator in BASIC. :)

Ah, a cricket simulator. So many hours not wasted in the 90s/00s trying to get my Ultra Cricket team to win something.

Doesn't seem to work in Chrome. In Edge, Zim were 4/4 before recovering to 55. NZ were 1/13, them 7/17, and lost by 10. Which is about how I recall that cardboard game.

The remarkable Mobbs who developed the Qooty sim (see Sweet FA Board) might give you some advice.

Perfect start

1642109857572.png

Thanks for the kind words everyone :)

Strange it doesn't work on Chrome :( I'll investigate :) Works on Edge, Firefox and on my phone.

There's a few things I want to change/improve. One is how no balls are handled (as with the board game, my game doesn't grant the batting team an extra run, nor does it force the bowling team to re-bowl it) and another is to recognise things like hat tricks in the commentary :) And being bowled/caught LBW from a bouncer is a holdover from the original board game too :D

If anyone has any other suggestions, happy to take them on board :)

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated :)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a blast from the past - Gees I haven’t seen this game in a long time!

I remember getting this for Christmas one year as a kid (was hoping for the green felt version with the metal ball..) and played in non stop with my brothers. We ended up getting a tennis version which was a pretty similar concept.

When I went to High School in the 80’s we also made a cricket simulator in computer class - from memory a few us come up with a pretty good version…buggered if I know where it is now.

My first problem was that I couldn't choose Tonga as an option :( so I chose Australia to play England.

My second problem was that England bowled Australia out for 49 runs. All good though, Australia still won by 16 runs!

1642649124778.png

BOWLER:

homer angry fist.gif

Thanks man :) I haven't seen such a low scoring game myself so thanks for sharing!

I'm assuming you're Tongan? Devastating to hear what's happened over there, I hope any friends and family over there are safe.

Selectable teams are the Test nations. Selectable teams was one of the last things I added and I restricted it to the Test nations just to make it more manageable for me. The order they're listed are the order they gained Test status too (England ahead of Australia purely because they invented the game).

But there's no reason I can't add more teams, so thanks for the feedback! Hoping to release an update as soon as I have a bit of free time!

Thanks man :) I haven't seen such a low scoring game myself so thanks for sharing!

I'm assuming you're Tongan? Devastating to hear what's happened over there, I hope any friends and family over there are safe.

Selectable teams are the Test nations. Selectable teams was one of the last things I added and I restricted it to the Test nations just to make it more manageable for me. The order they're listed are the order they gained Test status too (England ahead of Australia purely because they invented the game).

But there's no reason I can't add more teams, so thanks for the feedback! Hoping to release an update as soon as I have a bit of free time!
Not Tongan actually (name comes from trivia team with D-Gen influences), but feeling for everyone there.

Yeah figured it was Test nations only. Great work though! Only other suggestion I'd make is to automate it instead of having to click Continue.

And like Grand Uncle Horace said, hit up Mobbs for any advice on simulations (would love to see a Minecraft David Boon!!!).

Not Tongan actually (name comes from trivia team with D-Gen influences), but feeling for everyone there.

Yeah figured it was Test nations only. Great work though! Only other suggestion I'd make is to automate it instead of having to click Continue.

And like Grand Uncle Horace said, hit up Mobbs for any advice on simulations (would love to see a Minecraft David Boon!!!).
Oh please don't give me any more work lol. I'm honestly the worst go-to for simulator advice. Just because I made one doesn't mean I know how to do it well. ;)

Oh please don't give me any more work lol. I'm honestly the worst go-to for simulator advice. Just because I made one doesn't mean I know how to do it well. ;)
Don't sell yourself short mate. Yourself, Ambrose and PhenomenalV1 are in a select group.

1642654697517.png

Don't sell yourself short mate. Yourself, Ambrose and PhenomenalV1 are in a select group.

View attachment 1313725

This is the single greatest thing I have ever seen on this forum :tearsofjoy::hearteyes:

Mobbs - keen to check out your footy sim when I get home. I expect it's orders of magnitude greater than what I've put together or am capable of putting together :)

This is the single greatest thing I have ever seen on this forum :tearsofjoy::hearteyes:

Mobbs - keen to check out your footy sim when I get home. I expect it's orders of magnitude greater than what I've put together or am capable of putting together :)
It's all just good fun! Kept me from going sane over the years. :)

Well done. I can confirm that it is very accurate. Australia beat England easily in the game I played.
I spent a lot of time playing the original game at school over the end weeks of the school year. The game got pretty worn and I remember when it got stuck and a kid scored about 20 sixes in a row. The upside was the next shot it moved to was out and he then lost 10 wickets in a row. Much fun for a bunch of 12 year olds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back