A Crows Marquee Game

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit sick of all the media talk about the ANZAC day game, it's the Beats by Dre of football matches. Gets treated like its a superior match to every other game when it's just 2 bottom 8 sides playing each other.

Marquee games are just another corrupt and unbalanced part of the AFL. Prime time slots should not be permanently reserved for certain clubs, especially not 2 of the richest clubs. ANZAC day game would be so much better if it was the 2 highest finishing Vic clubs, it could be a sort of VFL grandfinal where teams have to earn the right to play on a special day.
ANZAC day should be the grandfinal replay, just like in the SANFL

Are you telling me that once port forced the afl to make their Anzac round game Anzac Day, pissing on south Australian tradition the sanfl has rolled over and moved all Anzac Day games to the suburbs since rather than just that year?

Truly don't know the reason why but the game is definitely at Unley on Anzac Day. Sturt v Eagles @ Unley Oval 2:10pm

Not this year, definitely last years grand finalists but the game is at Unley.
I know that and I wasn't suggesting that it would or should be. Unfortunately AO is too big for these games and as has been mentioned, Port trying to hihack ANZAC Day in both comps has almost f***ed up the tradition totally.

Port and Norwood have tried to hijack the SANFL ANZAC Day game recently to have a locked in fixture of them playing each other, I hope it never happens, there's only a few traditions left for the diehard SANFL supporter to enjoy.
This isn't the first time a GF rematch has been played on ANZAC Day at a suburban ground in the SANFL, Central hosted Sturt in 2010.

ANZAC day should be the grandfinal replay, just like in the SANFL

I just don't think the grandfinal replay will always work at the MCG. The AFL wants it to be a thing for Melburnians to do on ANZAC day and would be strange having it there if there were no victorian teams.

Our Marquee game should be our "yellow for bails" game, where the crowd is encouraged to wear yellow, the team wears their yellow guernsey and the club uses it to annually raise money for the cancer council. Against a team that doesn't have any yellow in their colours like Geelong.

A bit sick of all the media talk about the ANZAC day game, it's the Beats by Dre of football matches. Gets treated like its a superior match to every other game when it's just 2 bottom 8 sides playing each other.

Marquee games are just another corrupt and unbalanced part of the AFL. Prime time slots should not be permanently reserved for certain clubs, especially not 2 of the richest clubs. ANZAC day game would be so much better if it was the 2 highest finishing Vic clubs, it could be a sort of VFL grandfinal where teams have to earn the right to play on a special day.
I like it. Take it to the main board.

What about an ANZAC weekend game, Why do Port seem to have a monopoly on that Weekend, They go the game to help them with their financial problems. And they are not the only team in SA that has veterans as supporters.

love the beats by dre analogy

The key to a "Blockbuster" match, is that it needs to be shown nationally on FTA. Realistically, that means it should be a standalone spot. The payoff for a blockbuster is added, guaranteed exposure to be able to sell to sponsors, and this can't be done with a Foxtel game or a game that is on FTA in some markets, but not others due to local teams playing (eg if Brisbane v Fremantle was on at the same time, our FTA game would not actually be on FTA in QLD and WA).

Easter Thursday is no good. If Good Friday stays as a permanent fixture, then the Thursday game gets shunted to Foxtel, rendering it pointless as a blockbuster fixture. ANZAC Weekend is pretty crowded now, as is opening round.

What I'd like to push for is a permanent home game in Indigenous Round on the Friday night, preferably against a Vic club such as Collingwood or Hawthorn every year, but a rotating opponent would be ok. Its great that we seem to always have the Sat night slot at the moment, but with the Dreamtime match in Melbourne, it means our game will always get shunted to Foxtel.

I'd be content if we were guaranteed the following:
- Friday night Indigenous Round (every year)
- One Thursday night home game during bye rounds (every year)
- Saturday night Showdown on FTA (home team rotated each year with Port)

Get it done, Fages!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The key to a "Blockbuster" match, is that it needs to be shown nationally on FTA. Realistically, that means it should be a standalone spot. The payoff for a blockbuster is added, guaranteed exposure to be able to sell to sponsors, and this can't be done with a Foxtel game or a game that is on FTA in some markets, but not others due to local teams playing (eg if Brisbane v Fremantle was on at the same time, our FTA game would not actually be on FTA in QLD and WA).

Easter Thursday is no good. If Good Friday stays as a permanent fixture, then the Thursday game gets shunted to Foxtel, rendering it pointless as a blockbuster fixture. ANZAC Weekend is pretty crowded now, as is opening round.

What I'd like to push for is a permanent home game in Indigenous Round on the Friday night, preferably against a Vic club such as Collingwood or Hawthorn every year, but a rotating opponent would be ok. Its great that we seem to always have the Sat night slot at the moment, but with the Dreamtime match in Melbourne, it means our game will always get shunted to Foxtel.

I'd be content if we were guaranteed the following:
- Friday night Indigenous Round (every year)
- One Thursday night home game during bye rounds (every year)
- Saturday night Showdown on FTA (home team rotated each year with Port)

Get it done, Fages!
I like it :thumbsu:

Re the Saturday night Showdown I've said to a few of my port mates don't think they'll host a Sat night one for a while 2 strikes from the last 2 with racial incidents and drunken fighting

Also, just on the round 23 trip to Perth, it really is getting ridiculous. There seems to be this notion that the SA and WA sides should play against each other because they're the closest to each other. Thats all well and good, but "closest" does not equal "close". Its still a bloody long way between Adelaide and Perth. Its like saying Melbourne is "close" to LA, because NY is further away.

This year will be our 7th final round trip to Perth in the last 20 years (Port have had 2 in the same period). Considering we play at home every second year, 7/10 final round away trips have been to Perth. Its bullshit. I know with the extra bye now its not so bad, but that just gives even less reason for us to travel there, while Vic clubs should start doing more of the travelling.

I like it :thumbsu:

Re the Saturday night Showdown I've said to a few of my port mates don't think they'll host a Sat night one for a while 2 strikes from the last 2 with racial incidents and drunken fighting

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if thats the case, and unfortunately I think we'll be shafted in that regard by association. Expect Sunday twilight fixtures for both teams for a while.

Incidentally, the last time we hosted a Saturday night Showdown was 2007.

Since then, we've had:
7x Sunday twilight (incl. this year)
2x Saturday afternoon
1x Sunday afternoon

Port on the other hand:
5x Saturday night
2x Sunday afternoon
2x Sunday twilight
1x Saturday twilight

I'm sick of getting the s**t slots due to the AFL knowing we'll sell it out regardless.

We should play Carlton in Adelaide every 8 years and call it the Blue Moon Cup....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Prostate Awareness night. We can wear our yellow tshirts and the footballs can be blue

The Blue Balls Cup

I think these 'marquee' games are a bit of a joke.
It ends up just getting to a point where a mediocre game between rubbish clubs is talked up because it's on some random holiday.
The AFL needs to grow up.

playing in Perth the week before a bye is arguably an advantage compared to recovering from a Perth trip in the middle of the season.

My issue is more to do with the fact that we play every other team once, and then some twice, before we play WC for the first time in the last round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back