State of Origin A dark day when Kiwis choose maroon or blue over black

Northern_Union

Team Captain
Dec 17, 2011
Warriorville with AuckMel
AFL Club
Adelaide
Don't know about Uate. I suspect that the sporting landscape has changed since in he left Fiji. When Uate was a kid there was no league. But league is starting to take out over there now so i think we'll see more and more kids from Fiji in the NRL.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Money is why overseas players are playing for State teams.Same reason rugby league has lost players recently to union and AFL. Nothing to do with choosing a state over a country.

I don't think it's the money. Origin players are seen as kings in NSW and QLD, plus it's a great series with some of the best Rugby league you could hope to see or play in. You can understand the lure it provides.

On top of that you could get selected to play in a team who wins 95% of the games they play at International level. That's hard for any young player to turn down no matter where you come from.

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
Don't know about Uate. I suspect that the sporting landscape has changed since in he left Fiji. When Uate was a kid there was no league. But league is starting to take out over there now so i think we'll see more and more kids from Fiji in the NRL.
Yes, definitely. Koroibete off the top of my head. I also believe Newcastle have a promising kid from Fiji on their books. There would be others too.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
During the Rabbitohs game the commentator made some half-serious comment about Sam Burgess being eligible for Origin if he stayed a bit longer in Sydney. Could an Englishman play in Origin? A Fijian can.

Back