Toast A Decade of Dimma 💝

Remove this Banner Ad

May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Happy Anniversary to our Supreme Leader and Overlord!

A decade of ‘Dimma’
Tony Greenberg, richmondfc,com.au
Aug 26, 2019 4:04PM

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick at his first press conference at the club in 2009. - Damien Hardwick,Richmond Tigers

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick at his first press conference at the club in 2009.

It is 10 years since Damien Hardwick was appointed Richmond’s senior coach. With ‘Dimma’ now having guided the Tigers to six finals campaigns during the past seven seasons, and the glorious, drought-breaking 2017 premiership, it’s interesting to reflect on this time a decade ago, when he took the Yellow and Black coaching reins. First-up, we take a look at what Dimma said at his coaching-appointment press conference. Following that, it’s comments from Hawthorn football director at the time, Jason Dunstall, about Hardwick’s suitability for the Richmond coaching job after being an assistant to Alastair Clarkson at the Hawks. Finally, we run the key quotes from Dimma’s speech at the Tigers’ 2009 Jack Dyer Medal night, just a couple of weeks after his coaching appointment.

Hardwick’s first Tigerland press conference

“Every club I've gone to has had a great ‘team-first’ culture and that's something I believe very strongly in.

“I know it's easy to say, but it's not easy to deliver.

“I think I can deliver a blueprint for success that's going to take the Richmond Football Club to their 11th premiership in the not-too-distant future . . .

“Richmond were always a massive priority for me.

“They're an outstanding club, a club that I grew up watching all those premierships in that successful era.

“So, for me, it was all about getting a club that can develop into one of those awesome big four clubs that we look at now.”

19Dimma2608_620A.jpg

Dunstall on Dimma

“I think he's got all the attributes that actually make up a terrific coach.

“Most importantly, he's had a great grounding in a number of different environments that'll stand him in good stead.

“He'll get to Richmond and make some changes, no doubt about that.

“They need some change, but he won't be afraid to do it. So, I think he'll be a very, very good appointment.”

Dimma’s Dyer Medal speech

“I look back with envy at the (Tommy) Hafey era, the period between 1967 and ’74, and the four premierships that go with it – the most successful era of this club.

“Ruthless, relentless and, most importantly, uncompromising. These are the words used to describe those great teams.

“The sooner these words become associated with our current group, the closer we will be to that elusive 11th premiership.

“The Richmond Football Club, from this point on, will take no short-cuts.

“We’ll make brave decisions – and make no apologies for them because, you know from our proud history, that a period of sustained success is built on the back of hard work and exceptional teamwork.

“You’ll hear the term ‘team first a lot about Richmond from here on in. We won’t just pay it lip-service, we’ll absolutely live it. It will become the fundamental plank in restoring the Club to its rightful position as a power of the AFL . . .

“There will no longer be a reliance on hope at the Richmond Football Club. We will believe. Belief comes when you are properly prepared.

“Finally, we have a blueprint for success – and we will not deviate from that blueprint.

“Every decision we make will be around how this can help the Richmond Football Club win the 11th premiership cup, and develop a period of sustained success.

“Ruthless, relentless and uncompromising . . .”

Happy Anniversary to our Supreme Leader and Overlord!

A decade of ‘Dimma’
Tony Greenberg, richmondfc,com.au
Aug 26, 2019 4:04PM

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick at his first press conference at the club in 2009. - Damien Hardwick,Richmond Tigers

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick at his first press conference at the club in 2009.

It is 10 years since Damien Hardwick was appointed Richmond’s senior coach. With ‘Dimma’ now having guided the Tigers to six finals campaigns during the past seven seasons, and the glorious, drought-breaking 2017 premiership, it’s interesting to reflect on this time a decade ago, when he took the Yellow and Black coaching reins. First-up, we take a look at what Dimma said at his coaching-appointment press conference. Following that, it’s comments from Hawthorn football director at the time, Jason Dunstall, about Hardwick’s suitability for the Richmond coaching job after being an assistant to Alastair Clarkson at the Hawks. Finally, we run the key quotes from Dimma’s speech at the Tigers’ 2009 Jack Dyer Medal night, just a couple of weeks after his coaching appointment.

Hardwick’s first Tigerland press conference

“Every club I've gone to has had a great ‘team-first’ culture and that's something I believe very strongly in.

“I know it's easy to say, but it's not easy to deliver.

“I think I can deliver a blueprint for success that's going to take the Richmond Football Club to their 11th premiership in the not-too-distant future . . .

“Richmond were always a massive priority for me.

“They're an outstanding club, a club that I grew up watching all those premierships in that successful era.

“So, for me, it was all about getting a club that can develop into one of those awesome big four clubs that we look at now.”

19Dimma2608_620A.jpg

Dunstall on Dimma

“I think he's got all the attributes that actually make up a terrific coach.

“Most importantly, he's had a great grounding in a number of different environments that'll stand him in good stead.

“He'll get to Richmond and make some changes, no doubt about that.

“They need some change, but he won't be afraid to do it. So, I think he'll be a very, very good appointment.”

Dimma’s Dyer Medal speech

“I look back with envy at the (Tommy) Hafey era, the period between 1967 and ’74, and the four premierships that go with it – the most successful era of this club.

“Ruthless, relentless and, most importantly, uncompromising. These are the words used to describe those great teams.

“The sooner these words become associated with our current group, the closer we will be to that elusive 11th premiership.

“The Richmond Football Club, from this point on, will take no short-cuts.

“We’ll make brave decisions – and make no apologies for them because, you know from our proud history, that a period of sustained success is built on the back of hard work and exceptional teamwork.

“You’ll hear the term ‘team first a lot about Richmond from here on in. We won’t just pay it lip-service, we’ll absolutely live it. It will become the fundamental plank in restoring the Club to its rightful position as a power of the AFL . . .

“There will no longer be a reliance on hope at the Richmond Football Club. We will believe. Belief comes when you are properly prepared.

“Finally, we have a blueprint for success – and we will not deviate from that blueprint.

“Every decision we make will be around how this can help the Richmond Football Club win the 11th premiership cup, and develop a period of sustained success.

“Ruthless, relentless and uncompromising . . .”

that logo was the best

Still have a couple of family members who were very clearly on the Sack Dimma camp and still don't like him. lol
Im curious,what are the reasons they feel this way even after the success his brought to the club on and off the field ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im curious,what are the reasons they feel this way even after the success his brought to the club on and off the field ?

Originally, they were massive fans of Terry Wallace, so his sacking left a bad taste in their mouth. The main reason was the way Dimma originally treated Jack Riewoldt. They didn't like Dimma down playing Jack's first two Coleman Medels, and disliked the idea of Dimma branding (Even if he never said it per say) Riewoldt selfish. That originally left a sour taste in their mouth, then when the train incident came in 2014, they thought Riewoldt had nothing to apologise for at all and that Dimma was trying to mirror Hawthorn and he was right for saying it. Because both grew up in success eras (Dyer and Hafey) they didn't like the idea of getting someone not from the club and not being informed and connect with it the history of it. They disliked him as a player too. They don't like Dusty or Neil Balme either.

I mean I don't agree with any of it. Some people can be stuck in their views no matter what happens.

Originally, they were massive fans of Terry Wallace, so his sacking left a bad taste in their mouth. The main reason was the way Dimma originally treated Jack Riewoldt. They didn't like Dimma down playing Jack's first two Coleman Medels, and disliked the idea of Dimma branding (Even if he never said it per say) Riewoldt selfish. That originally left a sour taste in their mouth, then when the train incident came in 2014, they thought Riewoldt had nothing to apologise for at all and that Dimma was trying to mirror Hawthorn and he was right for saying it. Because both grew up in success eras (Dyer and Hafey) they didn't like the idea of getting someone not from the club and not being informed and connect with it the history of it. They disliked him as a player too. They don't like Dusty or Neil Balme either.

I mean I don't agree with any of it. Some people can be stuck in their views no matter what happens.
How can you dislike Balmey?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back