A disasterclass

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, a change up of strategy is needed.

I wonder how much input Cooley, JL or the playing group have on this current line of thinking. It just wasn't working today on that pitch and they should have figured that out much earlier on.

I'm sure half of those were by Starc.

No compass, zero planning, and a spraygun to boot.

Even spray guns are not that useless and would usually get tailenders and out of form batsmen out. I know Ashwin has got like 5 centuries but if you look at his recent record, its nothing short of a number 10 batsmen.

I remember this happening in Cardiff 2009. We became over occupied bouncing the sh*t out of their tail that we run out of time. Different bowling group too.
I was at the office so didn't see it.

The over-reliance on pace and short stuff goes back to at least the Waugh captaincy period. Except once the bouncer-mania was over there were two fairly decent bowlers to call on and fix things.
Its OK for a short burst but not a sustained strategy.

The over-reliance on pace and short stuff goes back to at least the Waugh captaincy period. Except once the bouncer-mania was over there were two fairly decent bowlers to call on and fix things.

It might work against batsmen but not tailenders. All they need to do is duck especially in 4th innings when they are looking to draw

Thought Starc bowled terrible apart from the last few overs...how many rib high balls way down leg side did he bowl, I think at least 50. Garbage tactics

It might work against batsmen but not tailenders. All they need to do is duck especially in 4th innings when they are looking to draw

It works against tailenders who are clueless against the short ball. If it was Bumrah and Siraj coming in with 20 overs left then sure bowl a bit of chin music. But it's pointless bowling short and wide to Ashwin. He's no mug, he averages 27 and has made 4 test 100s.

Our bowling plans are generally pretty awful. Pujara made 50 from 176 and 77 from 205. He's not everyone's cup of tea but * me he is the most known of known quantities. If you bowl something he doesn't have to play. He. Won't. Play. It. Yet we keep bowling a stump or two outside off or half way down the pitch. Amateurish. And lo and behold we got him out with a ball around off stump that did enough to get through.

In the first test we were all over it. Bowled the right (fuller) length with pace and accuracy. Since then we've reverted to type. Pulled my hair out watching the Ashes. Stokes on fire and in T20 mode, so we bowl in the slot over and over. Tailenders come out and we don't make them play. When the pressure is on the only bowler in our side that I have confidence in is Cummins. Hazlewood goes from bowling a probing line and length to too short, Starc bowls short leg side pies and Lyon isn't threatening unless there is something in the pitch or the batsmen are having a dip.

It works against tailenders who are clueless against the short ball. If it was Bumrah and Siraj coming in with 20 overs left then sure bowl a bit of chin music. But it's pointless bowling short and wide to Ashwin. He's no mug, he averages 27 and has made 4 test 100s.

Our bowling plans are generally pretty awful. Pujara made 50 from 176 and 77 from 205. He's not everyone's cup of tea but fu** me he is the most known of known quantities. If you bowl something he doesn't have to play. He. Won't. Play. It. Yet we keep bowling a stump or two outside off or half way down the pitch. Amateurish. And lo and behold we got him out with a ball around off stump that did enough to get through.

In the first test we were all over it. Bowled the right (fuller) length with pace and accuracy. Since then we've reverted to type. Pulled my hair out watching the Ashes. Stokes on fire and in T20 mode, so we bowl in the slot over and over. Tailenders come out and we don't make them play. When the pressure is on the only bowler in our side that I have confidence in is Cummins. Hazlewood goes from bowling a probing line and length to too short, Starc bowls short leg side pies and Lyon isn't threatening unless there is something in the pitch or the batsmen are having a dip.

No, you are wrong. As I said, Watch the last session of Pak vs NZ. Wagner, Southee, Boult and Jamieson kept on bowling short stuff to Shaheen, Abbas and Naseem and mind you they are all pure no 11s. All they did was duck the ball and Pakistan came close to drawing and it only took Santner too take the final two wickets. Here Australian bowlers kept on bowling 4 short balls per over which made it predictable to Ashwin and Vihari. I mean I am not against bowling short stuff but at least vary a bit in the over like set up the batsmen by bowling good length for a few balls and then follow up with a bouncer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This bowling attack doesn't know how to set up lbw oppurtunites -- which is a skill in itself! I remember their was some crazy stat that Cummins didn't have a single Lbw in England!
Can someone please give us all the LBW stats of this current fast bowling unit compared to other teams. Thankyou

This bowling attack doesn't know how to set up lbw oppurtunites -- which is a skill in itself! I remember their was some crazy stat that Cummins didn't have a single Lbw in England!
Can someone please give us all the LBW stats of this current fast bowling unit compared to other teams. Thankyou

Which is funny bc Vihari and Ashwin are LBW candidates bc of their stance

Cummins has a fairly low amount of LBWs and bowled in comparison to the amount of caught dismissals. 18%.

Bumrah in comparison approx 50%. Shami 43%.

Both Cummins and Bumrah have the same SR of 47 so you could argue their methods of taking wickets are equally effective.

Cummins has a fairly low amount of LBWs and bowled in comparison to the amount of caught dismissals. 18%.

Both Cummins and Bumrah have the same SR of 47 so you could argue their methods of taking wickets are equally effective.
I think Australia needs another Ryan Harris, who can target the pads and stumps all day long!

Waugh used lee for that role but you can get away with it when you have mcgrath and warne backing it up, he didn't just have the entire bowling unit bombing them with bouncers on the last day

Whats his bowled percentage? Cummins seems to actually beat a lot of blokes with pace and knock them over rather than lbw but maybe im wrong and it just seems that way

Whats his bowled percentage? Cummins seems to actually beat a lot of blokes with pace and knock them over rather than lbw but maybe im wrong and it just seems that way
23 bowled from 158 dismissals.
7 lbw.

I thought bowled dismissals would be higher. Has had a couple this series. I remember the jaffa to Joe Root in the Ashes.

Neil Wagner has been using it as a sustained strategy for 50 tests tbf.

Time to dump Starc. I know he has a great record of picking up a wicket in his first two overs but after that he leaks so many runs until the tail comes in. You can't carry someone who bowls 15 overs of pies, its just rubbish and he's done it his whole career.

Bouncing tail Enders is a great strategy.

If you’ve got test standard bowlers who bowl above 140 clicks, I’d imagine the no.11 would s**t themself that they’ll get KOd or fracture a wrist.

What the important distinction is mixing it up. A good line of off and bounce them to unsettle them.

Works for me, I can show you my average if you want, worse number 11 to grace the whoop whoop 3rds

We bounced Stuart Broad all the way to a quickfire 56 at the MCG in 2017. Eight fours and a six. Great tactic.

Bouncing tail Enders is a great strategy.

If you’ve got test standard bowlers who bowl above 140 clicks, I’d imagine the no.11 would sh*t themself that they’ll get KOd or fracture a wrist.

What the important distinction is mixing it up. A good line of off and bounce them to unsettle them.

Works for me, I can show you my average if you want, worse number 11 to grace the whoop whoop 3rds

The problem is when something is on the line suddenly any opponent becomes at least a little emboldened - the fact that Jadeja padded up as soon as it became apparent that any batting stint wouldn’t be more than an hour or so.

Send a tailender out to bat with his team 9-150 and trailing by 200 in the first innings and every fibre in his body will be telling him ‘you don’t need to do this, just get out of the way and don’t get hurt.’

Put the same batsman in when he’s aware that ‘ok here is your chance to make a hero of yourself, if you get hit that’s ok as long as you survive’ and suddenly bouncers don’t carry the same sort of menace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back