List Mgmt. A Fair Stretch Or Not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair whack of the salary cap to have invested in "back up" ?
Unless it was front ended and he is probably getting what he is earning ATM.

Not dissimilar to Gibbs. Maybe that means he is more open to a trade come season end

According to his manager?
Josh Jenkins says his future likely to be decided at end of the season
CHRIS VERNUCCIOHerald Sun
June 17, 2016 8:21AM
TOPICS
AFLSportVIC News
IN-DEMAND Adelaide forward Josh Jenkins has given the strongest hint yet he is likely to reject a lucrative offer from Brisbane, saying “money doesn’t buy happiness”.
Jenkins, who is out of contract this season, is weighing up rival offers which is believed to include a five-year deal, $4.5 million deal from the Lions.
Adelaide is reportedly reluctant to budge on a $550,000-a-season contract for Jenkins until 2020, but may have to increase its offer to at least $600,000 a year to retain the in-form spearhead.
The 27-year-old flew to Melbourne yesterday to meet with agent Paul Connors during the Crows’ mid-season bye....

....He is in career-best form with 37 goals this season to sit fourth on the Coleman Medal table.
But Jenkins said a decision on his future will not entirely be about the money.
“Money doesn’t buy happiness as well,” Jenkins told Channel 9 last night.
“I’m really happy, as my partner is, in Adelaide.
“There’s many things you’ve got to weigh up so we’ll see what happens.”

Port Adelaide premiership player said last week he was “staggered” by Brisbane’s offer to Jenkins, a view shared by North Melbourne great Wayne Carey.

But former Essendon star Matthew Lloyd rates Jenkins among the league’s top four forwards and said he was worth $700,000-$750,000 a year on the open market.
https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/a...he-season-ng-7c0fb0085a79e7259d2cca05d676f7d1

He’s a handy backup but if we can get him off our books without paying some of his wages at his new club then we should do it. Our TPP is now very imbalanced and most is being spent on guys that are heading to their cliffs. The non best 22 guys should be the first to go.

But unless we can truly dump his salary he is still a handy backup. Berg is still raw and we don’t have much after him that can both ruck and kick goals.

Unless it was front ended and he is probably getting what he is earning ATM.

Not dissimilar to Gibbs. Maybe that means he is more open to a trade come season end

Unless you’ve got evidence that his contract was heavily front ended, you might as well spam these pages with talk of him being paid in magic beans instead

Josh Jenkins says his future likely to be decided at end of the season
CHRIS VERNUCCIOHerald Sun
June 17, 2016 8:21AM
TOPICS
AFLSportVIC News
IN-DEMAND Adelaide forward Josh Jenkins has given the strongest hint yet he is likely to reject a lucrative offer from Brisbane, saying “money doesn’t buy happiness”.
Jenkins, who is out of contract this season, is weighing up rival offers which is believed to include a five-year deal, $4.5 million deal from the Lions.
Adelaide is reportedly reluctant to budge on a $550,000-a-season contract for Jenkins until 2020, but may have to increase its offer to at least $600,000 a year to retain the in-form spearhead.
The 27-year-old flew to Melbourne yesterday to meet with agent Paul Connors during the Crows’ mid-season bye....

....He is in career-best form with 37 goals this season to sit fourth on the Coleman Medal table.
But Jenkins said a decision on his future will not entirely be about the money.
“Money doesn’t buy happiness as well,” Jenkins told Channel 9 last night.
“I’m really happy, as my partner is, in Adelaide.
“There’s many things you’ve got to weigh up so we’ll see what happens.”

Port Adelaide premiership player said last week he was “staggered” by Brisbane’s offer to Jenkins, a view shared by North Melbourne great Wayne Carey.

But former Essendon star Matthew Lloyd rates Jenkins among the league’s top four forwards and said he was worth $700,000-$750,000 a year on the open market.
https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/a...he-season-ng-7c0fb0085a79e7259d2cca05d676f7d1

So not even his manager then?

With a question mark over Dixon's future, Westhoff fading badly and Marshall's development seemingly stalling our pals down the road might be the best resting place for JJ

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I'm not as fanatically anti-Jenkins as others around here seem to be, I certainly don't rate him as untradeable. But my concern is who takes that forward / backup ruck role if EH gets injured or loses form? Fogarty isn't tall enough to take on the ruck role, I don't know where Paul Hunter is at, but from what I understand he's more of a ruckman rather than a forward. Where is Kieran Strachan at? Can he play forward, or is he another pure ruckman? And is he (or Hunter) anywhere near being able to play at AFL level? Jordan Butts is described as a defender on his profile - could he potentially play forward? Although he'd be giving away a few cm on Jenkins which would count against him when it comes to the ruck component of the role.

While I'm not as fanatically anti-Jenkins as others around here seem to be, I certainly don't rate him as untradeable. But my concern is who takes that forward / backup ruck role if EH gets injured or loses form? Fogarty isn't tall enough to take on the ruck role, I don't know where Paul Hunter is at, but from what I understand he's more of a ruckman rather than a forward. Where is Kieran Strachan at? Can he play forward, or is he another pure ruckman? And is he (or Hunter) anywhere near being able to play at AFL level? Jordan Butts is described as a defender on his profile - could he potentially play forward? Although he'd be giving away a few cm on Jenkins which would count against him when it comes to the ruck component of the role.
Hartigan or Otten has done it in the past.

People keep talking about JJ's 'massive' salary. But its really not that outrageous compared to the salaries we are seeing these day. Its all a matter of perspective, and as every year goes by, salaries go up, and more and more players get paid, and deals signed in 2016 start too look very affordable by comparison!

Use Port as a reference point, they brought in Motlop, Rockliff and Watts a few seasons ago and all 3 of them would be on more then JJ.

And i'm not saying he's 'a cheap player', I just don't think that $ amount is going to scare teams off as much as people think. IMO this trade will happen at years end, and happen quickly!

Jesus you lot. He’s been one of our best talls for the last few years and you can’t throw him out quick enough. :neutral:

He’s in a form slump. He’s been given the opportunity to get back into form in the twos. The balls in his court now.

I get it, he's contracted so you pay more!

Seriously though, a pick in the 20s for JJ and cap space is a good result

The best we could probably hope for is one or the other. We should have a couple of decent picks this year and with Jones/Ned/Fog needing games so maybe a salary dump the preferred option? Anything less than a second rounder is of very little value.

Either way time to cut our losses and get whatever we can for him and move on.

Jenkins needs to fundamentally change his game style to suit the current game. Whilst I never underestimated the work Jenkins did getting on the end of those rebound goals but with defenses more and more often playing sweepers as a last line then those goals are not going to come as often.

The game now focuses even more on the one on one contest and you can afford to only win or draw even in a contest, losing and you get hurt on the scoreboard both ways. Have a look at the Crows forward second effort stats since Jenkins has been dropped...gone from bottom to near elite in a month.

They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks and people have been saying for years Jenkins needs be more forceful at the contest. When ever Wayne Carey commentates a Crows game you can just hear the frustration in his voice and he might know a thing or two about key forwards with a presence.

If Jenkins is serious about being relevant in this Crows team then I'd be giving Carey a call, round up about half a dozen hard arses from the local leagues, lock the lot of them in some surburban ground and not let him out until he shows more bruises then the number of zeros on his contract.

We just restructure the forward line. How many quick small forwards do we have in the sanfl at the moment? Stengle, McAdam, and future midfielders like Jones and McHenry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back