List Mgmt. A Fair Stretch Or Not?

Remove this Banner Ad

While I'm not as fanatically anti-Jenkins as others around here seem to be, I certainly don't rate him as untradeable. But my concern is who takes that forward / backup ruck role if EH gets injured or loses form? Fogarty isn't tall enough to take on the ruck role, I don't know where Paul Hunter is at, but from what I understand he's more of a ruckman rather than a forward. Where is Kieran Strachan at? Can he play forward, or is he another pure ruckman? And is he (or Hunter) anywhere near being able to play at AFL level? Jordan Butts is described as a defender on his profile - could he potentially play forward? Although he'd be giving away a few cm on Jenkins which would count against him when it comes to the ruck component of the role.

Fog to defence, Keath forward and chop out ruck

Jesus you lot. He’s been one of our best talls for the last few years and you can’t throw him out quick enough. :neutral:

He’s in a form slump. He’s been given the opportunity to get back into form in the twos. The balls in his court now.

And how’s that form been?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hartigan or Otten has done it in the past.

Otten will go before Jenkins does. Jenkins won't get traded before trade week (obviously). Otten will be delisted before that - probably the day after our final game of the year. Hartigan might be able to pinch hit in the ruck (but again is shorter than Jenkins), but can he play forward? The guy has kicked 1 goal in his career. He may struggle to get a gig in defence next year if we have Talia, Keath and Doedee all fit, and I can't see him being much cop as a regular in the forward line.

We just restructure the forward line. How many quick small forwards do we have in the sanfl at the moment? Stengle, McAdam, and future midfielders like Jones and McHenry.

Yeah, but the day we see one of those blokes taking the ruck contest at a centre bounce we'll know something has gone horribly, horribly wrong :p

Otten will go before Jenkins does. Jenkins won't get traded before trade week (obviously). Otten will be delisted before that - probably the day after our final game of the year. Hartigan might be able to pinch hit in the ruck (but again is shorter than Jenkins), but can he play forward? The guy has kicked 1 goal in his career. He may struggle to get a gig in defence next year if we have Talia, Keath and Doedee all fit, and I can't see him being much cop as a regular in the forward line.
I fully expect Otten to retire at the end of this season. I'm not suggesting Hartigan could play forward. What would happen is that Fogarty would be the forward and Hartigan would pinch hit in the ruck from defence.

I get it, he's contracted so you pay more!

Seriously though, a pick in the 20s for JJ and cap space is a good result

Not nessecarily. You tend to pay more for someone who is contracted and they don't want to lose.

The whole contracted thing becomes a millstone when you want salary off your books. Get pick 20 odd and we've killed this deal, seeing I'd accept 40-50.

Jesus you lot. He’s been one of our best talls for the last few years and you can’t throw him out quick enough. :neutral:

He’s in a form slump. He’s been given the opportunity to get back into form in the twos. The balls in his court now.

He's 30 years old, has one to two years left on his contract and we look much better off developing Himmelberg.

We don't exist in a world where there is no salary cap and right now Jenkins has become very problematic. All well paid old players who find themselves in the reserves are.

While I'm not as fanatically anti-Jenkins as others around here seem to be, I certainly don't rate him as untradeable. But my concern is who takes that forward / backup ruck role if EH gets injured or loses form? Fogarty isn't tall enough to take on the ruck role, I don't know where Paul Hunter is at, but from what I understand he's more of a ruckman rather than a forward. Where is Kieran Strachan at? Can he play forward, or is he another pure ruckman? And is he (or Hunter) anywhere near being able to play at AFL level? Jordan Butts is described as a defender on his profile - could he potentially play forward? Although he'd be giving away a few cm on Jenkins which would count against him when it comes to the ruck component of the role.
Strachan is a legitimate Ruck/Forward but whether he's AFL standard is still to be ascertained, we should be better across that by season's end if he stays on the park and gets some km's into his legs. Obviously at least one of our Victorian scouts thinks he has the tools to be a chance at the "big" time. Looking at him in the Snaffle he looks athletic enough and can certainly take a grab, haven't really seen enough of his Ruck work to pass any worthwhile comments as yet on that facet of his game.

Article says Jenkins is contracted til the end of the 2022 season, but isn't it the 2021 season? (he signed a five year deal in 2016 which would cover 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021).

There's a bloody long way to go in this season yet, I'm sure he'll play for us again in 2019 at some point.

There was an article out there that has the wrong date, definitely till the end of 2021, it's even possible that the 5th year has a trigger clause.

How often has Jenkins ripped a game by the throat in his career?
How often has he brought other players onto the game?

Himmelberg a 4 gamer is averaging more contested possessions, tackles, hit outs and centre clearances than Jenkins did in 2017 and 2018.

That should be end of story.

He's 30 years old, has one to two years left on his contract and we look much better off developing Himmelberg.

We don't exist in a world where there is no salary cap and right now Jenkins has become very problematic. All well paid old players who find themselves in the reserves are.

It’s not as bad as swans with Buddy. I believe he has 5 years left including this year and if his hammys are starting to go then he may only have a season or two. At a million a season, that’s going to hurt.

Edit: 4 years to go and reported to be heavily loaded in last couple of years at 1.5m a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How often has Jenkins ripped a game by the throat in his career?
How often has he brought other players onto the game?

Himmelberg a 4 gamer is averaging more contested possessions, tackles, hit outs and centre clearances than Jenkins did in 2017 and 2018.

That should be end of story.
certainly hasn't done it for a while. the game he kicked 8 against the dogs at Etihad in 2016 he clunked everything that came his way

For me, it all comes back to the fact that you can't trade a contracted player if they don't want to go. Yes, you can tell them they won't get games if they stay, but they can't do anything if the player calls their bluff and tells the club, "Too bad, I'm sticking around anyway."
Ryan Burton says hello.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jenkins does not suit the new way we are playing. Even struggling at SANFL level as I bet the style is filtering down to them as well.

This is probably the best year to trade him out as he could still have some value at a club lacking forwards and who want to play that slingshot footy.

It will depend on his return.

Is he averaging more goals?

Look, maybe we try to trade him, but he's been a 45+ goal forward for us for the last four years, we can sell him to a change of environment - Port's not a bad idea as suggested earlier

We should really be asking for a first rounder, maybe a late one, but a first nonetheless

This is probably the best year to trade him out as he could still have some value at a club lacking forwards and who want to play that slingshot footy.
completely agree. get him out while theres value

Not necessary: with Doodee back, simply send Keath forward. No problems.

Yep the ball is in his court.

And instead of sending it back with a ripping backhand he is crying to the media Nick Kyrios style.....

It's a fair stretch to assume that a 30 year old who can't make the starting 22 is trade bait, or that 6 months away from trading period anyone other than the media are actually talking about it.

Even if comes back into the team this, which I suspect he will, I’d still trade him.
We need to focus on Himmelberg and Fogarty moving forward.

Even if comes back into the team this, which I suspect he will, I’d still trade him.
We need to focus on Himmelberg and Fogarty moving forward.
Yes

Keeping a 31 year old on the list who is bitter about losing their spot to some kid, who he thinks he is better than, is not good for the atmosphere

Either trade him if we can, or come to an agreement with him to close out his remaining contract period

For the Crows benefit, and his own

Remove this Banner Ad

Back