A final drawn after extra time: a footy disaster waiting to happen

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I thought I’d posted about this before but perhaps not.

Its been raised again in the aftermath of the Cricket World Cup Final debacle.

If an AFL final (including a grand final) is drawn, extra time is played - five minutes, plus time on, each way.

However, if the game is tied after extra time... the game switches to golden point. Next score wins.

The problem: there is, specifically in the rules, NO siren sounded if this happens. Play simply continues in the second half of extra time until somebody scores.

With nobody any the wiser.

What the actual *?

Possibly the most important game of the year, the game changes fundamentally from regular scoring to golden point... and there’s NO official notice given to anybody that it’s happened? What on earth?

Scoreboard clocks count up.

What possible reason could there be for this?

If it is to be decided this way then for god’s sake... blow the siren, take it back to the centre, bounce the ball, next score wins.

Mods: Perhaps merge this thread with this one? Many common themes

Mods: Perhaps merge this thread with this one? Many common themes

Nah it's valid as a standalone.

I'm tippin the golden point will be removed for one very important reason: rushed behind. - this is not the way to win it IMO.

Ideally ET is played until a winner is determined, however I fear it will go to golden goal.:(

I don't mind it, the only change I would make is blow the siren at the end of the 2nd period of extra time and ball it up where the ball was at that moment so both sides are fully aware of when the golden time starts.

If I was fussy I'd prefer first to 6 points as opposed to golden point, so if a team got to 6 points first in golden time that is the win whether it is via 0-6-6 or 1-0-6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Golden point is some BS. Our game is predicated on kicking GOALS, should at the very least be golden goal. How would the atmosphere be when someones lining up 25m out directly in front for a golden point(99% chance) versus a golden goal(judging by today's standards, 50% at best lol)

Yes and I'd also rather see it during normal time too, but that's not how our scoring system works. I can't see how you can treat a behind differently according to when it was scored.

Then if it can be decided another way than golden point then that would be preferred. Rushing a behind to win a premiership is not in the spirit of the game IMO.

Don't understand the disdain for behinds winning games in here: If you don't want to lose a 'golden point' grand final to a rushed behind, don't let it go through for one, just like any other game, just like at any other stage in the grand final. As for excitement value, watching teams desperately try to defend against conceding any score is immensely tense (just think Eric Mackenzie in the Port/WC 2017 final) - how lacklustre will it be if we have 'golden goal' and teams willingly walk the ball across the line because behinds effectively no longer matter?

A second (and if needed, a third, fourth...) period of extra time would be better; failing that, some alert to the players that we're now in 'golden point' time would be better than the present rules. 'Golden goal' is no improvement.

Golden point is some BS. Our game is predicated on kicking GOALS, should at the very least be golden goal. How would the atmosphere be when someones lining up 25m out directly in front for a golden point(99% chance) versus a golden goal(judging by today's standards, 50% at best lol)

2 goals 19 beats 5 goals 0.

Has to be golden goal surely. So what if it takes 10/15 minutes. Imagine how awesome and tense that would be. Instead you get teams just bombing long and trying to rush their own behind.
Actually I think bombing it long and trying to rush a behind would be even more exciting and tense compared with regulation play.

With clubs like St Kilda who always seem hellbent on hugging their oppenents scoreline the entire game rather than simply outscoring them yeah it's bound to happen. And St Kilda will be the club that cause it

Howabout this scenario... drawn after regular time. Play extra time. At the end of ET, Team A is down by 1 point and marks with 2 seconds left. Siren sounds (as the scores are not tied) and player has a shot after the siren.... and misses. What then? Or does the siren not sound if a team is within 1 point or 6 points?

This is from the other thread on this topic. Very good question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back