2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
They can get al the electronic signage to flash off and on in red to signal the “bet365 golden point” has commenced
If your team loses to golden point, get up to $500 back in bonus bets.....

... to spend on the current game.....

.... just finished.

May 3, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team,
I think people are getting too caught up in the semantics about the possibility of a team winning with a rush behind

Let's say scores are level when there is 5 seconds left and the ball gets rushed through for a behind, and as the opposition brings the ball back in from the point the siren goes and everyone cheers as the game was an epic encounter won by the smallest of margins.

Why would it be a tragedy if that ball was rushed 10 secs later (and 5 secs after the siren would have gone)?
There is still a risk-reward of rushing a behind- you give the other team an extra point BUT you halt the possibility of them scoring a goal + get clear possession of the ball. Golden Point eliminates all the "reward".

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
I think a lot of people are missing the point.

Golden point, golden goal... whatever it is, at least it’s clear.

But how on earth, and why, can there be no siren to end normal scoring and begin the golden point period? It’s a completely fundamental change to the game, in the biggest game of the year. It makes no sense at all and would be an absolute farce.

This wouldnt be an issue though if they simply did the sensible thing & kept playing extra time periods until a result is achieved.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Someone is getting mixed up.
The doco I've seen says normal time on applies, it would be ludicrous for it to not.
When discussed yesterday they were clear that because no time on then players would see the clock at 5 and know its golden point.

If we're going for novelty, a penalty shootout style scenario would at least be fun. Man on the mark stands 40 out, directly in front. Each team selects 5 players to have a shot at goal. Highest overall score (including behinds) wins. Keep playing until a winner is declared.

But if we're keeping with this thread I'd be more a fan of an extra 2 5 minute periods of extra time to be honest.

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
When discussed yesterday they were clear that because no time on then players would see the clock at 5 and know its golden point.
The doco I saw when the rule came out said 5 minutes each way with normal time on/off then golden point. I haven't heard anything about this being changed. I think Gil is getting mixed up when he said no time on. I don't think he stated that players would know exactly when golden point starts, he said something like at 4:30 people would realise the next score was probably going to win it.

People also get mixed up with the definition of time on. In AFL we don't have time on, we don't add some more time once the clock expires like some sports do. Instead we stop and start the clock during play and when the required playing period (20 min) is up the siren goes. When he said no time on he may have meant once 5 minutes is up we don't add more time (which we never do) but we would use the normal time off/on procedures during the 5 minutes.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Ideally, extra time then replay. I'm fine with a GF replay.

But if we know the rules going into a golden point scenario, then I'm completely fine with it. Teams win in weird ways. If you know going into that center bounce that a score wins, then play accordingly. Many regular season games on the verge of a draw end in similarly desperate fashion, the only difference here is that you know the result will involve a successful score.

As long as it isn't a penalty shootout or goals/behinds countback. At least golden point is still in play. I'd love to see Nic Nat charge at a forward pack 15 metres out and just punch the ball long for a winning behind.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The doco I saw when the rule came out said 5 minutes each way with normal time on/off then golden point. I haven't heard anything about this being changed. I think Gil is getting mixed up when he said no time on. I don't think he stated that players would know exactly when golden point starts, he said something like at 4:30 people would realise the next score was probably going to win it.

People also get mixed up with the definition of time on. In AFL we don't have time on, we don't add some more time once the clock expires like some sports do. Instead we stop and start the clock during play and when the required playing period (20 min) is up the siren goes. When he said no time on he may have meant once 5 minutes is up we don't add more time (which we never do) but we would use the normal time off/on procedures during the 5 minutes.
Whats more likely: Gil is an idiot who doesnt understand the rules of his own sport OR the AFL havent thought through their rules properly?

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Could be worse. I learned recently that the NRL have golden point (I knew that already) with 5 minutes extra time and if no one scores it stays a draw. What the actual *?

Port vs WC in 2017 was very nearly a draw AET. It was 76-72 when Shuey got a free kick against Polec. If scores were level would the siren have not sounded?

Seems a bit silly that if the last play of an ET period is a Milne bounce to level the scores that the game just keeps going from that point. If it was 76-75 and Shuey missed the shot would Port just kick in from the behind?

Jun 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
It happened in the 2012 tac cup grand final. The final siren sounded a few seconds after the goal umpire signalled a behind.

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Found this article from AFL website in September 2016 the first time the new rules applied. Says time on applies in ET. Also if you watch the Shuey final you can see the clock stops and starts as normal during ET. Gil is getting mixed up or they have secretly changed it since then.

Also interestingly it says if the ET siren goes while someone is lining up for a shot and they kick a behind to level the scores then the ball comes back to the centre circle.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
There are so many rule issues with the game it just strikes me as a little strange to be hung up about one in particular that has an extremely small chance of happening.

Deep into extra time, players will be desperate to score whether they know it's switched to golden point or if they just suspect it. What is the looming disaster supposed to be?

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Deep into extra time, players will be desperate to score whether they know it's switched to golden point or if they just suspect it. What is the looming disaster supposed to be?
If I mark the ball 1 metre out from the behinds knowing it is golden point then I just walk it over or bang it on the boot for a behind. But if I know it isn't golden point then I go back for a set shot to waste 30 seconds and try for a goal. Imagine if it was golden point and the player didn't know and he took the set shot from the tight angle and missed everything.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Shouldn't it just be like the end to a normal quarter? Blow the siren, if a player has taken a mark within range then they take their shot as usual with all the regular restrictions, and if after that shot (scoring or otherwise) the scores are level, reset to the centre for a golden score scenario from the centre bounce. This whole 'don't blow the siren' thing is a bit.... weird seeing as it doesn't match up with any existing scenario.

Only issue is if there's a howling wind one way but not the other such that one direction is inordinately easy to score towards.

Personally I would be OK with just continuing the extra time periods until there's a conclusive result, Tennis does it and no one complains.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think a lot of people are missing the point.

Golden point, golden goal... whatever it is, at least it’s clear.

But how on earth, and why, can there be no siren to end normal scoring and begin the golden point period? It’s a completely fundamental change to the game, in the biggest game of the year. It makes no sense at all and would be an absolute farce.
In practice, if it ever happened, it might go like this: scores are still level at the end of ET2, the game silently transitions to golden score, a score happens, fans cheer not knowing 100% if it was a 'normal' score or a golden score, and at the same time maybe the siren sounds and the big screens say 'Congratulations X premiers', and the winning fans cheer harder. Would be weird.

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In practice, if it ever happened, it might go like this: scores are still level at the end of ET2, the game silently transitions to golden score, a score happens, fans cheer not knowing 100% if it was a 'normal' score or a golden score, and at the same time maybe the siren sounds and the big screens say 'Congratulations X premiers', and the winning fans cheer harder. Would be weird.
Big screen not needed. If the siren goes when you are in front you win, but yes it would be weird not knowing straight away, would be a 2 or 3 second delay until siren sounded.

Back