Injury A fitting end

Remove this Banner Ad

I had no excitement in the lead up to this game. None. I don't feel that gutted we lost. Microcosm of the season. We made the finals but we were never a threat to win the flag. I'm interested what happens from here though. Unfortunately my guess is not a lot. **** all changes will be made and we'll be a mid range plodder team for a while yet.
x2 re the lead up, but I am gutted because this team and coaching group once again ripped my heart out.

We should've won that. It was only our ridiculous unpressured mistakes across half back that got them up early, and from there it was only our wasteful entries and shots that kept them close. We controlled the game 100% after that point yet we found a way to lose.

Even just look at those last 2 minutes. Dixon misses the match winner for the 3rd time. Boak wins a ball in the middle and rather than taking the simple option goes a risky one which gets turned over, luckily win a HTB free then play on to advantage when we should've slowed the game down. Wingard then turns it over with a poor kick, gets it back and does the same poor kick again, we win the contested ground ball in our defence and have the numbers defensive side but several players panic and fail to take possession, then Polec gives away a sloppy free.

Just so many mistakes all night.

The other thing was the coaches box, Trengove should've come in. It was obvious before the game and it's even more obvious now. If ever a game was lost at the selection table this was it.

Liked Impeys game. the part where he ran away from the ball carrier instead of laying a tackle. Multiple times.

Reminded me of Port Adelaide champion 6x best and fairest winner

The poor skills were just the icing on top

His lack of accountability in extra time was frightening

I am going to stick up for Impey here.

Poor guy had a horrible start off field to the season. Given the situation I think most of us would have mentally struggled through the year.

Ken selected him.

x2 re the lead up, but I am gutted because this team and coaching group once again ripped my heart out.

We should've won that. It was only our ridiculous unpressured mistakes across half back that got them up early, and from there it was only our wasteful entries and shots that kept them close. We controlled the game 100% after that point yet we found a way to lose.

Even just look at those last 2 minutes. Dixon misses the match winner for the 3rd time. Boak wins a ball in the middle and rather than taking the simple option goes a risky one which gets turned over, luckily win a HTB free then play on to advantage when we should've slowed the game down. Wingard then turns it over with a poor kick, gets it back and does the same poor kick again, we win the contested ground ball in our defence and have the numbers defensive side but several players panic and fail to take possession, then Polec gives away a sloppy free.

Just so many mistakes all night.

The other thing was the coaches box, Trengove should've come in. It was obvious before the game and it's even more obvious now. If ever a game was lost at the selection table this was it.

Trengove wouldn't of kicked all the goals we missed.

Trengove wouldn't of kicked all the goals we missed.
Would've likely given Ryder the chop out he needed and would've beaten Petrie in ruck, and likely would've been able to be a little more competitive against McGovern who took 15 marks.

There's zero doubt not bringing in Trengove was a mistake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems pretty gangsta in instagram.
because he's a kid. A kid without parents to guide him. Most people his age are heroes on social media. But wtr to footy it is up to his coaches to guide him, teach him and select him.

Players don't select themselves. And I'm sure Ken's plan of backing them in would work if we had all the time in the world and no urgent premierships to win and that is wtr to all damn players that Ken continues to back in.

I can't believe we didn't send Chad Cornes out in the last minute to tell the players to just bang it forward, a point will do.

Sometimes in this sport you just have to play the %

Would've likely given Ryder the chop out he needed and would've beaten Petrie in ruck, and likely would've been able to be a little more competitive against McGovern who took 15 marks.

There's zero doubt not bringing in Trengove was a mistake.

Maybe he's told the club he's leaving. I have no problems with it. Still didn't cost the game. 16 points did many from easy set shots.

At least Jonas is back next week. Oh, wait :(

If he's here and playing R1 2018 he deserves some "reminder" of the rod that his absence wrought for a bunch of inexperienced kids in our defence.

A frigging one off loud boo or effing something so that he knows just how many folks are pissed off.

The Port Remembers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All this year our neighbours have been treating us like a mouse that is being played with by a cat. Two showdown wins, a compliant Adelaide media that treats us as a joke and a little "stumble" in round 23 that let West Coast sneak into the 8 at the expense of Melbourne.
I guess they have every right to say "sucked in Port"

because he's a kid. A kid without parents to guide him. Most people his age are heroes on social media. But wtr to footy it is up to his coaches to guide him, teach him and select him.

Players don't select themselves. And I'm sure Ken's plan of backing them in would work if we had all the time in the world and no urgent premierships to win and that is wtr to all damn players that Ken continues to back in.

Would have been far more time to "back kids in" and drop under-performers if we hadn't dropped two or three very winnable games earlier in the season. So many ifs... and butts to kick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know what, when Ken first came here he often quoted about doing all the little things right to be a successful club. He's right about that, but how long has it been sicne he has emphasised that?

We literally lost today by not doing the little things.

Dixon's inability to kick accurately when the game is on the line.

Ebert's refusal to improve his kicking throughout his career.

Polec's continually poor defensive game.

Jonas getting suspended by trying to be a tough guy.

Impey's non improvement in his finishing skills and ability.

The little things killed us today. And it really hurts.

There was little effort for West Coast to score when they went inside 50. They do the little things right. What they lack is the flash or brilliance 'let's call it big thing' and because of that they probably won't go close to winning the premiership this year, but for tonight, it was enough just to do the small things right.

I think Macca is spot on. A defeat that sums up our season in every possible way.

In the end, it can either be the making of us or just another failure on the road to nowhere. Learn the lessons. The margins in this game are tiny. Your whole season can be made or broken by one shot at goal, one hitout, one fumble, one poorly executed tackle. Be ruthless and make every training session count, every team meeting count, every minute of every match day count.

Great teams that win premierships don't just hope that things will pan out for them, they make it happen through relentless action. We might have a talented playing group but we are not ruthless enough at this stage to do anything of note in this competition.

You guys got absolutely robbed there. Perhaps the ump couldnt see it but the replay is so obviously not a free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back