A free agency offer has finally been matched. Does this change everything?

Remove this Banner Ad

:tearsofjoy: Yeah sure mate, you obviously don't read many social media comments, internet is flooded with blue and white sooks.

I really dont understand why you are all sooking though, you will get Cameron in the end, luckily for Geelong the fans don't control what happens within the club. You will end up paying for him instead of trying to get him for a steal like you were hoping.
??? I'm not sooking?

I just asked you to quote it rather than making up stories

Should be impetus to fix the system, expand restricted free agency and then lower the criteria for unrestricted free agents of a certain number of years service.

Or in other words, Cameron should be a unrestricted - he's done he's time, but he's not. So make more restricted free agents then change Cameron to unrestricted.

There’s no backing out here for the cats.
They won’t abandon Cameron and they’ll have to pay a serious price for him.
Can the AFL still penalise going for going after a FA like they did with Sydney a few years ago. That would be Icing on the cake. :devil:

This is surely the end of the FA system in its current state.

The AFL just gave Essendon Pick 7 for a guy who has literally played 15 games in 3 years just because they didn't want Brisbane to have to pay.

It's absolutely shameless and must spell the end of the compo system.
He was 9 and 3 last year we're told
7 a year later seems unders but we take what we get

FA isnt dead
UFA comp picks will become extinct
RFA comp picks will stay as long as the PSD/ND threat exists

If he goes in the draft he will get picked up before Geelong. GWS have just received 10. In the PSD GWS are in front.

Would he? I think whether a 28 year old key forward with elite credentials goes in the first half of the first round is a bit of an unknown at the moment.

Realistically you'd have to be a team with a relatively early first pick which expects to contend in the next 2-3 years. In my biased opinion, that would rule out Adelaide, North, Sydney and Hawthorn... I seriously doubt a team in that position is going to muck around with Cameron. Gold Coast? Well you're going to have a tough time keeping Cameron happy if he wanted to leave GWS (I'm aware that if he goes to the draft and a club other than Geelong takes him, his only choice other than to play for that team is to not play at all).

That leaves Essendon, Carlton and Fremantle, and in that hypothetical, I think Carlton would be the major risk. But to be completely honest, I wouldn't be surprised in the open market, if he slid to Geelong at 13.

Now, would we be willing to play such a game of chicken? Hell no. Would Cameron roll the dice and risk going to the Suns? I seriously doubt it. Geelong wants it. Cameron wants it. GWS wants better than the standard free agent compensation. Fair enough. I don't know what it's going to take, but I'm sure it's going to happen.

I think you could certainly argue though, that if it ends in a stalemate and Cameron's relationship with the Giants is untenable, of the three parties, Geelong would be the least upset that a deal wasn't reached and Cameron goes to the draft.

This is not an accusation...I would simply like an explanation of a quote I have picked up from someone in another site.

"Cap is said to be decreasing this year yet the cats are fitting a million dollar contract in plus roughly $500k for Smith and Higgins probably likewise, Danger on close to a mill, Selwood you would hope (for his sake) would be around the $800k mark there is close to what lets say $3.7 mill of a cap reducing below $10 mill
Means on average 35 players are on $180k hmm

And I didn't squeeze in Hawkins on lets be generous to the cats and say he is on $600k

that brings 34 players are taking on average $167k hmm

Yep got me beat can't understand why people are asking"

Do the numbers stand up to reality?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS showing how pissed they are he is leaving.

Wonder how this affects our future relationship with the club.

I think it does mean we will pay more than what we would have but I would be surprised if we threw basically our draft hand at one 28yo player.

Still expect there will be a reasonable outcome.

Geez, a lot of clubs riding/hoping on Geelongs downfall these days, used to just be tarded Hawforn & Weagles supporters, seems it's piles on now.

GWS showing how pissed they are he is leaving.

Wonder how this affects our future relationship with the club.

I think it does mean we will pay more than what we would have but I would be surprised if we threw basically our draft hand at one 28yo player.

Still expect there will be a reasonable outcome.

Geez, a lot of clubs riding/hoping on Geelongs downfall these days, used to just be tarded Hawforn & Weagles supporters, seems it's piles on now.
I don’t think gws are being unreasonable though. He‘s a big loss for them. It’ll get sorted- we will cough up a couple of good picks. Fair enough. He can play for five more years and will be a good pick up for Geelong.

This is not an accusation...I would simply like an explanation of a quote I have picked up from someone in another site.

"Cap is said to be decreasing this year yet the cats are fitting a million dollar contract in plus roughly $500k for Smith and Higgins probably likewise, Danger on close to a mill, Selwood you would hope (for his sake) would be around the $800k mark there is close to what lets say $3.7 mill of a cap reducing below $10 mill
Means on average 35 players are on $180k hmm

And I didn't squeeze in Hawkins on lets be generous to the cats and say he is on $600k

that brings 34 players are taking on average $167k hmm

Yep got me beat can't understand why people are asking"

Do the numbers stand up to reality?
Salary cap was 13 million wasn't it this season?

Take 10 percent of that and it's still 11.7 million.

As I said, I am curious which cats players are on that $400-$600 a year range

Doesn’t change anything. They’ll just trade for him and GWS will get something better. The end.
Exactly, it’s getting blown out of proportion.....This will be a close deal to the one in which we did for Danger, which means in the end they will get a first rounder & a player who isn’t getting a game atm anyway....For eg a Narkle, Fogarty or Constable...This will still leave us with two first rounders & giving the Giants a player for the now.

Could get interesting. If I was the Cats, I would have factored free as a free agent into the contract offer. Now that he costs a lot in trade, he's less valuable, thus I'd offer him a lower contract than the one that GWS have agreed to pay.
You can't do that as he's already signed for the amounts you put into the AFL, legally binding contract IF he gets to Geelong

Salary cap was 13 million wasn't it this season?

Take 10 percent of that and it's still 11.7 million.

As I said, I am curious which cats players are on that $400-$600 a year range
Menegola, Guthrie, Blicavs & Stewart are all in this bracket.....As a club we lean on giving a longer contract to players for less of a salary. It’s why our salary cap stays in a reasonable position.

Menegola, Guthrie, Blicavs & Stewart are all in this bracket.....As a club we lean on giving a longer contract to players for less of a salary. It’s why our salary cap stays in a reasonable position.
That I won't deny....

Again..... It's 2020 and the salary cap is 13 million. In 2017, it was 2 million less. Thats a huge difference.

I remembered at the end of 2013 and Harry Taylor was out there f contract. Both WA clubs looked at him. Geelong gave him a 5 year deal at $600,000 a year.

Great work GWS, cats will be fuming but will have to stand by their commitment to the player and get it done paying overs.

Elite KPfs are the rarest of birds, will cost GFC 2x first rounders and a decent player under 30 yo..

..the latter will be the sticking point lolololol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back