A glimpse of what's required...

Remove this Banner Ad

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
There will be a time for Collingwood jokes but right now I am just in awe od the level of intensity both teams sustained for the entire match. Lenny Hayes was brutal, must pay credit to Maxwell and even Thomas had a good crack. No doubt were a few rungs below that level right now.

And apparently Goddard went for Carlton as a kid...

Watching that, we are a long way off. That was an amazing display of courage and hunger. These things will come with age and experience, but right at this very minute we lack that sort of focus.

a coach. a coach. and a coach.

some of those players where finished a few years ago. Leigh Brown, Maxwell, Zac Clarke for example. But give a team a proper structure and they'll flourish. We can not afford to waste more time.

Wouldn't seeing the Pies without Malthouse in charge. The man is a greta coach, knows how to get the best out of players who individually are not great.

On the flip side, Malthouse coaching this carlton team would see us win more games and definitely finish higher than where we have been under ratts.

Some great individual efforts - Goddard, Hayes, Maxwell, Thomas and some very ordinary efforts - Leon Davis and Cloke's missed shots at goal. What the game showed is that four quarter TEAM efforts are required to win grand finals which neither team really showed.

St Kilda's effort in the first half was below par and Collingwood played pretty well to lead by 24pts. In the second half Collingwood dropped away completely managing only 2 goals 6pts to StKilda's 6 goals 6 pts.

There will be a time for Collingwood jokes but right now I am just in awe od the level of intensity both teams sustained for the entire match. Lenny Hayes was brutal, must pay credit to Maxwell and even Thomas had a good crack. No doubt were a few rungs below that level right now.

And apparently Goddard went for Carlton as a kid...

We must be a chance to get him, though we'll lose Marc Murphy to the kangaroos. Wasn't quite as brutal as last year, the Pies self belief seemed to disappear as the game wore on. The thing that stood out for me was how important the bottom 3 or 4 players on each side are. Peake and Ray made errors early that hurt them. Being able to rely on every one of the 22 is so important, those little errors become massive in games like this.

What is required is structure and the ability of the COACHING staff to bring the best out of its players, and of course the players to bring that into fruition.

We are MILES off and i don't think we have the coach or structure to compete at this level in the next few years. Does not matter wHAT talent you have, if you have not got the coaching staff to bring the players at this level. And we have not got it, with what we have got at the moment.

Look at players like Macffer, Wellingham, Brown, Dawes etc. I actually feel jealous the reason why such players have gone to another level is Coaching panel and leadership. Enough said.

They went at it like Robbo on too much coffee. Very intense effort which I hope we can replicate next season.

It doesn't take skill to go hard at the ball, it takes something else.

See also:

We can not afford to waste more time.

On the flip side, Malthouse coaching this carlton team would see us win more games and definitely finish higher than where we have been under ratts.

What is required is structure and the ability of the COACHING staff to bring the best out of its players.

We are MILES off and i don't think we have the coach or structure to compete at this level in the next few years. Does not matter wHAT talent you have, if you have not got the coaching staff to bring the players at this level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They went at it like Robbo on too much coffee. Very intense effort which I hope we can replicate next season.

It doesn't take skill to go hard at the ball, it takes something else.

This. Collingwood have shown all year that you don't need the most talented group, but if you are all on the same page great things are achievable. It's the basics of footy really. Work as a team and good things will come.

It was an old fashioned man on man yesterday Great effort from both sides and I agree Thomas was great But Maxwell was inspirational.Goddard is elite.

some of those players where finished a few years ago. Leigh Brown, Maxwell, Zac Clarke for example. But give a team a proper structure and they'll flourish. We can not afford to waste more time.

I think you and others might have it all wrong.
The logic being discussed is that since we have such a great list of players why can't the coaching staff get more wins out of them. In other words, the players have huge potential but the coaching staff can't get it out of them.
But what if the "list" we talk about isn't as good as we see through our rose coloured glasses. What if the list after Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Waite & Kruezer etc is that good and the coaching staff have got the maximum from a pretty ordinary list?
So, stop bagging the coach unless you are positive that our list is as good as other teams and we have potential class deep into our list.

Was a good glimpse, if we had played those two teams in that mode it'd be over at 1/4 time. I just hope our players develop to be brutal and hard like the ones who played in that grand final.

Will you be going again next Saturday?
I will if my married mates are allowed off their leashes for a second weekend in a row. Something I'd say is 50:50 for them. I'll be the oldest person there in a Blues top if I am.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back