A GWS/Richmond rivalry.

AuntyBlindEye

Bad Bear
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Is there currently a rivalry between the two clubs?

Personally if I was forced to pick a second team, it would be GWS, I was born in the area, Wayne, Leon and more recently Deledio are all players I loved so having them at one club makes me more inclined to like said club. Even the Kevin Sheedy links help.

But then there are the close losses I have witnessed at the hands of GWS that really stung at the time, and even now slightly, which got me thinking from a GWS point of view. There is the 17 PF and the GF obviously. I feel like there is a bit of "history" for lack of a better word between the clubs.

I sort of only feel a sense of REAL rivalry with collingwood, but when GWS come around there is definitely something there for me.

What about you guys? Is the PF and GF enough or does a rivalry need more?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AuntyBlindEye

Bad Bear
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Feels like we need some bad blood, maybe a scandal or something. A GF match-up with a disputed umpire's call settling it might do it for example.
Yeah there hasn't really been anything that fiery or nasty yet. I was thinking maybe the GF might have left a bad taste in a few fans mouths regarding Richmond.

dlanod

Sep 14, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS; CCMariners; NQCowboys; Ravens
Yeah there hasn't really been anything that fiery or nasty yet. I was thinking maybe the GF might have left a bad taste in a few fans mouths regarding Richmond.
Can't blame a team for winning.

I think most of us are/were more annoyed at our team for shitting the bed.

If Martin had decked someone (for example) it might've been a different story (cf: Ward in the prelim).

AuntyBlindEye

Bad Bear
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Can't blame a team for winning.

I think most of us are/were more annoyed at our team for shitting the bed.

If Martin had decked someone (for example) it might've been a different story (cf: Ward in the prelim).
Yeah that's a fair point.

I guess the bulldogs would be the closest to a rival for GWS? Mayyyyybbee Sydney?

dlanod

Sep 14, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS; CCMariners; NQCowboys; Ravens
Yeah that's a fair point.

I guess the bulldogs would be the closest to a rival for GWS? Mayyyyybbee Sydney?
Bulldogs are definitely a rivalry. There's a bit of one with Sydney - both seem to play a bit harder and they know it'll be a tough game, but there's not really bad blood.

Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
If Giants had a few more fans there might have been more outrage about the shoulder on Shiel in the 17 Prelim. I’m pleased Cotchin got off, but had the victim been Pendlebury I dare say the fuss would have multiplied.
Agree with others about the Dogs and Swans. Hopefully a rivalry with one of the big Vic teams will develop in coming years with more big finals getting the emotions going.
For me it’s the Bombers. Can’t stand them.

AuntyBlindEye

Bad Bear
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
If Giants had a few more fans there might have been more outrage about the shoulder on Shiel in the 17 Prelim. I’m pleased Cotchin got off, but had the victim been Pendlebury I dare say the fuss would have multiplied.
Agree with others about the Dogs and Swans. Hopefully a rivalry with one of the big Vic teams will develop in coming years with more big finals getting the emotions going.
For me it’s the Bombers. Can’t stand them.
Had forgotten about about the Shiel bump. Maybe next year's GF rematch might have a bit of heat to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom