A GWS/Richmond rivalry.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Is there currently a rivalry between the two clubs?

Personally if I was forced to pick a second team, it would be GWS, I was born in the area, Wayne, Leon and more recently Deledio are all players I loved so having them at one club makes me more inclined to like said club. Even the Kevin Sheedy links help.

But then there are the close losses I have witnessed at the hands of GWS that really stung at the time, and even now slightly, which got me thinking from a GWS point of view. There is the 17 PF and the GF obviously. I feel like there is a bit of "history" for lack of a better word between the clubs.

I sort of only feel a sense of REAL rivalry with collingwood, but when GWS come around there is definitely something there for me.

What about you guys? Is the PF and GF enough or does a rivalry need more?

Last edited:

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Feels like we need some bad blood, maybe a scandal or something. A GF match-up with a disputed umpire's call settling it might do it for example.
Yeah there hasn't really been anything that fiery or nasty yet. I was thinking maybe the GF might have left a bad taste in a few fans mouths regarding Richmond.

Yeah there hasn't really been anything that fiery or nasty yet. I was thinking maybe the GF might have left a bad taste in a few fans mouths regarding Richmond.
Can't blame a team for winning.

I think most of us are/were more annoyed at our team for shitting the bed.

If Martin had decked someone (for example) it might've been a different story (cf: Ward in the prelim).

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Can't blame a team for winning.

I think most of us are/were more annoyed at our team for shitting the bed.

If Martin had decked someone (for example) it might've been a different story (cf: Ward in the prelim).
Yeah that's a fair point.

I guess the bulldogs would be the closest to a rival for GWS? Mayyyyybbee Sydney?

Yeah that's a fair point.

I guess the bulldogs would be the closest to a rival for GWS? Mayyyyybbee Sydney?

Bulldogs are definitely a rivalry. There's a bit of one with Sydney - both seem to play a bit harder and they know it'll be a tough game, but there's not really bad blood.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Bulldogs are definitely a rivalry. There's a bit of one with Sydney - both seem to play a bit harder and they know it'll be a tough game, but there's not really bad blood.
Still early days I suppose. Bad blood could come from anywhere at this point.

Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
If Giants had a few more fans there might have been more outrage about the shoulder on Shiel in the 17 Prelim. I’m pleased Cotchin got off, but had the victim been Pendlebury I dare say the fuss would have multiplied.
Agree with others about the Dogs and Swans. Hopefully a rivalry with one of the big Vic teams will develop in coming years with more big finals getting the emotions going.
For me it’s the Bombers. Can’t stand them.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
If Giants had a few more fans there might have been more outrage about the shoulder on Shiel in the 17 Prelim. I’m pleased Cotchin got off, but had the victim been Pendlebury I dare say the fuss would have multiplied.
Agree with others about the Dogs and Swans. Hopefully a rivalry with one of the big Vic teams will develop in coming years with more big finals getting the emotions going.
For me it’s the Bombers. Can’t stand them.
Had forgotten about about the Shiel bump. Maybe next year's GF rematch might have a bit of heat to it.

AuntyBlindEye for mine would be Swans, Bulldogs and now Tigers

Pity they made the Rd.7 match at the G a 1:45pm time slot wouldve been good to be Friday or Saturday night blockbuster
However Saturday June 27th will be huge night and 1 of the rare nights playing the same time as Parra at Bankwest

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
AuntyBlindEye for mine would be Swans, Bulldogs and now Tigers

Pity they made the Rd.7 match at the G a 1:45pm time slot wouldve been good to be Friday or Saturday night blockbuster
However Saturday June 27th will be huge night and 1 of the rare nights playing the same time as Parra at Bankwest
Yeah I was hoping for a better timeslot for it.

GWS feeling more of a rivalry towards the swans and bullies makes total sense too.

A bit of a rivalry forming, but no real bad blood. Never been any bad moments, we got beat fair and square in the finals we lost.
The fans after the GF were respectful and didn't carry on like tossers.
The Bulldogs is one that a history is starting to form.
Hawthorn fans seem to be the most disrespectful to the Giants.
The Sun's I feel like our kindred spirits and I really would love to see them up and about. The last 2 drafts might set that up.

Back