A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Some talk Teddy Sheringham might be our next manager.

Not sure if he's done much coaching but given our problems, he might even need to pull on the boots again haha.

Clubs push for bigger say in running of A-League
A-League clubs are believed to have pushed a strong case to have a bigger say in the running of the national competition during a meeting with FIFA and Asian Football Confederation officials in Sydney yesterday.

The Australian understands the majority of chairmen of the clubs remained defiant during the lengthy meeting as they seek to have, at a minimum, some form of representation on the independent board of Football Federation Australia.

The FIFA and AFC representatives held several meetings yesterday, first with the presidents of the state federations then with the A-League clubs. It is believed the federations held discussions for two hours before the visiting delegation met with representatives from the clubs in a meeting that lasted considerably longer.

The clubs have long argued that they don’t have enough say in the running of the A-League and have been agitating for change for some time, either through having a representative on the FFA board or having an independent commission to run the league. FIFA and the AFC are on a fact-finding mission, seeking feedback concerning issues with the game in this country that revolve around the lack of proper representation for stakeholders.

Particularly, FIFA and the AFC are looking at FFA’s constitution, which they want to bring in line with the world governing body’s statutes used for all member associations around the world.

They are also concerned about the lack of promotion and relegation with the A-League — an issue that is understood to be driven by the AFC. FIFA and the AFC will hear submissions from other stakeholders in the game today, including Professional Footballers Australia.

FFA would not comment on the meetings when contacted by The Australian, but it is arguing that the there does not need to be any changes to its constitution.

Meanwhile, James Holland has had to put his European ambitions on hold, but is ready to shake off his tag as the forgotten man of Australian soccer after signing with Adelaide United for the next two years.

Despite some interest from overseas clubs, the quality midfielder has opted to try to reignite his career by returning to the A-League, where it all started nine years ago.

Holland had spent the previous eight years in Europe, where he had stints with Dutch club Sparta Rotterdam, Austria’s Austria Wien and MSV Duisberg in Germany.

The 27-year-old, who has been capped 15 times for Australia and played against Chile in the Socceroos’ opening match of the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil, enjoyed the most success in Austria where he was part of the club’s 2012-13 championship winning side before moving to Germany.

However, he was released at the end of last season. While he was keen to continue his career in Europe, he decided the lure of returning to Australia was too strong.

“It feels really good to have signed with Adelaide United,” Holland said. “It’s been a little bit of a long break since last season for me, but it’s great to finally put pen to paper with the reigning champions of the A-League.

“Now that I’m part of this team, I’m here to win, and I want to be successful at the club.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...e/news-story/8f5684cf0cd7e5b93a774df2ff10af5e

He should've stayed as our W League coach.

You know it's bad when the club's PR team are marketing it as a Novocastrian duo at the helm of the club (Clayton Zane is our assistant).

Probably another bottom 2-3 finish on the cards - though dare I say our preseason form has been good haha.

I reckon the starting 11 will do well but depth might be an issue.

OCTOBER 2 2016 - 3:12PM
Football Federation Australia aims for TV soccer bidding war

Michael Lynch
Football Federation Australia is set to formally test the market on broadcast rights to a suite of its "products" now that its exclusive period of negotiations with current broadcaster Fox Sports is over.

The FFA will be hoping that free-to-air networks Seven, Nine and Ten, are interested in bidding for the A-League and other games which it holds the rights to, such as the W-League and Socceroos friendlies.

In an ideal world for the FFA there would be a bidding war also involving pay broadcasters such as beIn Sports and Optus to drive the price up to its ambitious target of $80 million a year, a doubling of its current deal, which expires at the end of this season. Optus surprised the market when it gazumped Fox to snatch the rights to the English Premier League, which it has recently started broadcasting.

Fox holds the first and last rights to any bid and it held a period of exclusivity to conduct negotiations until September 30.

No-deal was struck by then, so the FFA will now entertain offers from new players or those who have previously expressed an interest. SBS, which broadcasts one game a week, is not expected to figure.

The A-League is the main attraction, as it provides the bread and butter of Australian soccer content and runs from the end of this week (kick-off is October 7 when Brisbane take on Melbourne Victory) to the grand final on May 7.

Fox has invested heavily in developing its coverage of the competition since its inception in the 2005-06 season, has expertise and the outside broadcast capacity to provide continuity of coverage.

The monies it has previously paid for the rights have effectively underpinned the salary cap at the league's 10 clubs.

One fly in the ointment is the inability of the FFA to sell Socceroos World Cup qualifiers. While many of these matches take place at viewer unfriendly times in the middle of the night (as the upcoming game against Saudi Arabia at the end of the week exemplifies) home games, such as the one against Japan due to be staged in Melbourne on October 11, rate highly.

The World Cup qualifier rights-holder is a company called Lagardere and it has opted to sell this property independently.

Potential broadcast partners will also be monitoring ratings and attendances at games in the early weeks of the season to see if interest is mounting.

The game's governing body is hoping the presence of Tim Cahill, who has signed for Melbourne City, will trigger much greater interest at grounds and for the telecasts. Cahill will, however, be missing from City's season-opener in Wellington as he is on Socceroos duty in the Middle East this weekend.

The competition ratings gave some cause for concern last season, with a reported 18 per cent decrease from the previous 2014-15 campaign, so David Gallop, Steven Lowy and their management colleagues will be hoping that Cahill can deliver an immediate impact.

It may end up being a difficult circle to square for the decision-makers if a pay TV broadcaster offers more money but a free-to-air company gets close, as it can offer a potentially wider mainstream audience. Some clubs will want as much money as they can get to bolster their finances, while others will argue that growing the game is more important.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/so...

Worrying signs, the longer this deal starts to drag on the worst the deal is going to be, heads should roll if so.

Worrying signs, the longer this deal starts to drag on the worst the deal is going to be, heads should roll if so.

I definitely wouldn't be worrying yet - the exclusive period only ended on Friday. Even if they'd agreed a deal on Friday they wouldn't have announced it til today.

As it is, it's worth FFA at least seeing what Ten and Optus have to say. I think $80m is a bit fanciful though.

If I recall correctly SBS demoting the A-League to SBS 2 was retaliation for discovering, after they signed the deal, none of the good games would be fixtured on Fridays because Foxtel.

Whoever the new free-to-air partner is, getting the finals series live is essential. Nobody is watching sport on an hour delay in the age of smartphones and ubiquitous internet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who the hell is Yoshi and why do I see his name everywhere?

180px-Yoshi_FS.png

Not complaining I just had no idea what all this talk about an 11 year old was about. I definitely don't care who he chooses lol

Not one for code wars but this from Arnold just made me laugh

Arnie: Sydney Derby atmosphere beats all other codes

Wednesday, 5 October 2016 -
John Greco @Grecs7
Sydney FC coach Graham Arnold has declared Saturday night’s Sydney Derby at ANZ Stadium will have a better atmosphere than anything rival codes can offer.
In a sensational start to Season 2016/17, the Sky Blues head to ANZ Stadium to take on Western Sydney Wanderers for what should be an electrifying Harbour City match up.
The clash between the two bitter rivals is set to break a Hyundai A-League attendance record, with 60,000 plus expected for the clash.
Gallery: Hyundai A-League 2016/17 Season launch
Hyundai A-League launch You've Gotta Have a Team campaign
“The Sydney Swans played GWS Giants in a semi-final recently in the AFL and got 62,000. If we can beat that for Round 1 of the competition it should show the AFL we’re coming to get them,” Arnold told www.a-league.com.au.

“And I’ve been to a rugby league grand final before and I’ve obviously been to derbies before and the atmosphere of the derby certainly outdoes the grand final. I’m sure round one at ANZ Stadium will be the same.”
If recent history is anything to go by then the Sky Blues will spoil the Wanderers’ party at their first game at the club’s temporary new home base at Homebush.
Sydney FC is unbeaten in the last seven clashes between the two clubs, while the Wanderers have never won in the opening round of a Hyundai A-League season.
And Arnold has raised questions over whether Tony Popovic’s side will be at full-throttle for the season-opener, after another off-season of personnel changes.
“Obviously we had a bad year last year but we didn’t lose to the Wanderers…in my view it’s not too bad a year,” Arnold said.
“The Wanderers are very good side and Tony Popovic does a great job.
image:

“But the question will be if they start really well? They have 17 new players again, it takes time to gel players into a system and into the way you want to play.
“No doubt Tony’s been working hard on that but it’s not easy to gel all those players in at once.”
Sydney has recruited strongly for the new season, adding plenty of experience and quality in the likes of Alex Wilkinson, Bobo, Bernie Ibini, Michael Zullo and Josh Brillante.
And with the exception of Ibini – who is not quite at full fitness after more than a year out with a leg injury – they will be at full strength for the season opener.

One of the club’s youngsters hoping to make the squad for the derby is defender 20-year-old Aaron Calver.
“We don’t want to lose to them, we want the bragging rights. We always seem to get up for the occasion and this will be no different," Calver said.
http://www.a-league.com.au/article/...ats-all-other-codes/79249ucsqigz1604awqe0of6f
http://www.a-league.com.au/article/...ats-all-other-codes/79249ucsqigz1604awqe0of6f
Look I'm sure they'll get a big crowd at the Derby hope they do really but to say s**t like "we're coming to get them" (to the AFL) after one Derby match that will probably only attract 50-60k not even full is asking for trouble with useless code wars crap! now my feeds on twitter and Facebook are full of it thanks alot Arnold you utensil!

He said that in the hope Sydney's trash media kraken give the match free advertising.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back