A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

FFA request extension from FIFA after failing to meet congress deadline
Dominic Bossi
Football Federation Australia will seek an extension from FIFA and the Asian Football Confederation to a deadline for restructuring its membership after failing to reach an agreement with stakeholders to expand its congress.

Fairfax Media understands the FFA is set to miss the March 31 deadline to expand its membership tier, opening the door for possible intervention from the governing body of world football, FIFA, which is understood to be unhappy with the stalled developments in Australia.

1490860023374.jpg

FFA chairman Steven Lowy yet to receive support for restructure of the congress. Photo: Getty Images
The FFA is under heavy scrutiny from FIFA to expand its congress - which elects and votes on board members - to become more democratic and representative of the game by including more stakeholders rather than the nine-member state federations who have a vote each and the A-League clubs that collectively hold just one seat.

After failing to receive a 75 per cent majority of the votes required from the existing 10 members to expand the congress on their terms, FIFA could decide to step in and take an active role in the transition and restructure of Australian football's governance, not limited to removing the FFA board.

While that measure remains an extreme option, the FFA have risked further damaging their relationship with A-League clubs and two of the biggest state member federations as a result of their inability to expand the congress by FFA's deadline approved by FIFA and the AFC.

The FFA did not receive the 75 per-cent majority of the votes required from the existing 10 members to expand the congress on their terms after two of the nine state member federations and the A-League clubs blocked their proposal. The two biggest state federations, Football NSW and Football Federation Victoria rejected the FFA's suggested terms of a 14-member congress, which would have expanded the A-League club's influence from one seat to three, while giving the Australian players union (PFA) one seat.

A-League clubs voted against the FFA's proposal, seeking a larger membership that will also provide them with a representation of about 25 per cent.

There are no meetings between the FFA and relevant stakeholders scheduled for Friday March 31 to finalise the expanded congress, with an FFA spokesman confirming they will not be increasing the membership by the deadline approved by FIFA and the AFC.

The Australian Professional Football Clubs Association, representing the A-League clubs, suggested they will not be pleased with any delay in the reforms.

"The APFCA expects the FFA to comply with the March 31 deadline agreed with FIFA and the AFC," the association's president Greg Griffin said.

Sources suggest A-League clubs would only agree to a deadline extension under the provision the FFA produces a clear and detailed plan for the growth of the game. However, any extension comes with the risk of further straining the already fractured relationship between the clubs and the FFA, who are yet to inform owners of their share of the broadcast deal for next season despite finalising the primary deal in December.

The Associations of Australian Football Clubs, representing the majority of the semi-professional National Premier League clubs claim the support of FIFA in their request to have one seat at the FFA congress.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...o-meet-congress-deadline-20170330-gva89o.html

Looks like the s**t will soon hit the fan! get the popcorn ready!

Did anyone see the footage of the fight at the SA showdown? If that was an A League game it would be everywhere but the only mention of it was "Crows vs Port fight goes viral". Does my head in.
It's gone viral here, news were covering it

Did anyone see the footage of the fight at the SA showdown? If that was an A League game it would be everywhere but the only mention of it was "Crows vs Port fight goes viral". Does my head in.

Yeah I saw it. I love how if it is AFL it is just brushed off yet if it was at the A-League the nuffies would be out in force. SA police just brushed it off.

It's gone viral here, news were covering it
The Melbourne media have barely mentioned it. If there was no footage of a similar A League incident the story would still be run which has dumbfounded me as to why this hasn't been widely condemned.

Hardly a the worst thing to ever happen (just drunk bogans letting off some steam) but still, not a good look.

What has the SA media been saying about it?

The Melbourne media have barely mentioned it. If there was no footage of a similar A League incident the story would still be run which has dumbfounded me as to why this hasn't been widely condemned.

Hardly a the worst thing to ever happen (just drunk bogans letting off some steam) but still, not a good look.

What has the SA media been saying about it?
Clubs are investigating yadda yadda. Shocking scenes and all that.

To be fair when there's Victory issues over there we don't hear much about it.

Nope, it really wasn't!

Seems bizarre timing, both in terms of how soon the tour is to only be announcing it now, and when they're actually touring.

The suggestion I heard on the radio that they think they have almost 2million fans in Australia just seems batshit crazy to me. Are there even 2million Australians who would follow EPL that closely? And how many of them are still watching it given the Optus deal?

We wouldn't have 2m fans here but will sell out the SFS or wherever it will be played.

I think it's being played at Homebush. I'd be blown away if they sell it out on 6 weeks notice. Especially given how these post-game exhibitions are usually priced.

What dates are the semi finals going to be?? There is an NRL game at Allianz on the Friday and AFL games on the Saturday and Sunday? Do they make Sydney and Melbourne play at ANZ and AAMI respectively? I imagine they would want Sydney to play first but then I assume they want the Friday/Saturday combo? Have no idea what they are planning...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What dates are the semi finals going to be?? There is an NRL game at Allianz on the Friday and AFL games on the Saturday and Sunday? Do they make Sydney and Melbourne play at ANZ and AAMI respectively? I imagine they would want Sydney to play first but then I assume they want the Friday/Saturday combo? Have no idea what they are planning...
This all wouldn't have happened if they rigged the Phoenix to make the finals. Idiots :rolleyes:

(Haven't fact-checked, no one prove me wrong)

If its a Melb Derby Semi Final its on Friday 28th April at Etihad with the Sydney game on the Saturday (most likely) or Sunday.
If its the not a Melb Derby, Sydney will be given the Friday night fixture and Victory will host whoever on Saturday or Sunday at AAMI

If its a Melb Derby Semi Final its on Friday 28th April at Etihad with the Sydney game on the Saturday (most likely) or Sunday.
If its the not a Melb Derby, Sydney will be given the Friday night fixture and Victory will host whoever on Saturday or Sunday at AAMI

So you reckon they will make Sydney play at ANZ on Friday?

If it's a Melbourne derby semi city are stuffed. And especially if it's at Etihad

It will be at Etihad. But I wouldn't be so sure about that, Victory ain't exactly playing inspired football atm and City can turn it on at anytime! Just when is the 6 million dollar question for City! A derby final could be the perfect spark through! But of corse they have to get there first.

It will be at Etihad. But I wouldn't be so sure about that, Victory ain't exactly playing inspired football atm and City can turn it on at anytime! Just when is the 6 million dollar question for City! A derby final could be the perfect spark through! But of corse they have to get there first.
Melbourne city's record at Etihad is abysmal and I dot think we will turn it on then. Victards are not playing the best but you know City will rue there misses and berisha will tap in a late goal with his walking stick.

Melbourne city's record at Etihad is abysmal and I dot think we will turn it on then. Victards are not playing the best but you know City will rue there misses and berisha will tap in a late goal with his walking stick.

Mmmmm... ' Victards' ffs! mate keep that s**t on the City forum! Don't bring it here or your not going to be taken seriously.

Don't forget that City defeated us at Etihad this season 4-1 and the second time round we where lucky to get a win with a disputed own goal.

It won't be as a clear cut as you seem to think I won't be as confidant if it happens to be the desired outcome..

So City V Glory Elimination Final is at 7pm on a Sunday night??? :drunk:

Well done FFA you bunch of gronks!!
Okay by me. Gives me 40 minutes to get from Etihad to AAMI Park so can see both Cats and Glory games.

Also, for whatever reason Roar finals tickets are $10 more expensive than City ones.

I love how it's assumed it'll be a City v Victory semi final. Keep that kind of talk up by all means.

More of the same from yesterday thanks, as a neutral I want to be entertained.

Okay by me. Gives me 40 minutes to get from Etihad to AAMI Park so can see both Cats and Glory games.

Also, for whatever reason Roar finals tickets are $10 more expensive than City ones.

I love how it's assumed it'll be a City v Victory semi final. Keep that kind of talk up by all means.

It's really hard on the Perth travelling fans or the fact Sunday night is just a horrible time for a final compared to Saturday night especially when City don't have a very big supporter base to begin with you would think they'll try to maximise attendance for a final? It just smacks of FFA not taking all these issues in to consideration and just made a rash decision. So typical through.

In order for a Victory v City semi for that to even happen WSW have to win first doubt they will beat the Roar in Brisbane.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back