A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How did you come to that conclusion? I have been told that the stadium deal the team would get would be greater than most in league.

Keeping in mind that this year Adelaide only averaged 9,500, Perth 10,500, Newcastle 8,500 & CCM 7,400. I do think that a Tassie team would regularly draw similar crowds to the above.

The Hurricanes regularly top 10,000 for domestic cricket.

The now defunct Tasmanian Devils VFL team topped 10,000 on more than a few occasions.

*, I'm an old enough Tasmanian to remember the early 90s when the Hobart Tassie Devils NBL team got thousands, and then the Hobart Chargers and Launceston Tornadoes second tier basketball teams drew s**t tons in the late 90s when they were successful. The Tornadoes were one of those teams that were limited by the fact the stadium only held a bit under 2000 - for 2nd tier womens basketball!

The point is that Tasmanians will turn up to the opening of an envelope if that envelope is well branded with a Tasmanian name on it.

There's no doubt in my mind that, whether it's based in Hobart, Launceston, or a mix of both, it would get close to, if not more than 10k more often than not.

How did you come to that conclusion? I have been told that the stadium deal the team would get would be greater than most in league.

Keeping in mind that this year Adelaide only averaged 9,500, Perth 10,500, Newcastle 8,500 & CCM 7,400. I do think that a Tassie team would regularly draw similar crowds to the above.

Its a unique sport. Ok 1st off. Stadium rent. Adelaide United used to pay $35,000 a game to rest out hindmarsh stadium when the government owned it. Adelaide entertainment centre now owns it. They now pay $65,000 a game. Newcastle jets pay $80,000 a game to rent out their ground. Sydney FC pay only $40,000 a game as theres many stadiums in NSW. its only $120,000 to rent out Homebush in Sydney. Part of the reason GCU folded was because they were paying $120,000 a game to rent out robina stadium. I assume where this Tassie ground they will play is another question. Will the rent be cheap?

Now sell 10,000 tickets at $25. That's 250,000 a game.

Another things that need to be brought up is the players. You need a minimum of 20 players, maximum of 26. Will the players come from the Tassie state league? From other A-league clubs? from overseas? or a mixture of all 3?

Its a unique sport. Ok 1st off. Stadium rent. Adelaide United used to pay $35,000 a game to rest out hindmarsh stadium when the government owned it. Adelaide entertainment centre now owns it. They now pay $65,000 a game. Newcastle jets pay $80,000 a game to rent out their ground. Sydney FC pay only $40,000 a game as theres many stadiums in NSW. its only $120,000 to rent out Homebush in Sydney. Part of the reason GCU folded was because they were paying $120,000 a game to rent out robina stadium. I assume where this Tassie ground they will play is another question. Will the rent be cheap?

Now sell 10,000 tickets at $25. That's 250,000 a game.

Another things that need to be brought up is the players. You need a minimum of 20 players, maximum of 26. Will the players come from the Tassie state league? From other A-league clubs? from overseas? or a mixture of all 3?

It would be a mix of the 3 that you mention, with a 4th as well - I'm sure they'd also scout the NPL Victoria and NSW.

The whole "is there enough local talent" is an argument that I've never really gotten in the A-League or AFL contexts. Part of being a professional sports person is that you have to play where the work is. And living in Hobart isn't any worse than living in Newcastle or Wellington (if you aren't from NZ), and neither of those clubs seem to have a lot of trouble filling their squads

On the rent? York Park (UTas Stadium) and North Hobart Oval are both owned by the local councils. So if you're the ownership of Tassie FC, you'd play them off against each other to knock the price down - a price that would already be cheap, cos if you're a council you want to attract touring supporters to spend money on the businesses in their area. And I'm sure the Tassie Govt would further subsidise rent to help achieve that end as well - attracting people to Launceston to spend money is the whole point of the Hawthorn deal.

When it comes to Tassie, and with all the bullshit that the AFL continues to proliferate with regards to Tassie, I've never really been able to come up with a good reason that we shouldn't do it - especially now that there's a consortium down there that want to provide the start up capital. I'm not naive to the difficulties they'd have in attracting players - I'd hesitate to say that a Tassie team could've attracted back someone like Kewell, Cahill, Aloisi etc - but global players who've had to chase the money and the opportunities would've lived in much bigger shitholes than Tassie!

A-League gets mainstream home on free-to-air TV as Ten Network signs deal to show prime-time games

THE head of the Ten Network has promised to give the A-League “the respect it deserves”, after signing a two-year deal to become the competition’s free-to-air home.

From Round One of the new season Ten will simulcast the A-League’s Saturday night fixture as well as the finals and Socceroos friendlies, with Ten CEO Paul Anderson pledging to cross-promote the coverage across the network.

The deal was only finalised in recent days after Football Federation Australia held a tender process with the FTA channels and ABC. Under its terms, Fox Sports will pay FFA $2m a year to assume the FTA rights for the next two seasons and onsell to Ten, who Anderson said would initially give its weekly game “consistent and stable scheduling” on its One sibling channel.

The deal heralds the advent of the A-League onto commercial TV, coming after three years on SBS where viewing figures suffered from a perceived lack of promotion, with the move into a less niche environment seen as essential to building the competition’s brand.

Ten will take Fox Sports’ entire production, including match commentary, with the pay-TV network viewing the move as promotion for its subscription packages. The selected games will also be streamed live on the Ten Play app, as well as Foxtel Go.
Though Anderson said he was open to the possibility of showing games on the main Ten network eventually, he said the priority was building viewer loyalty for the A-League.“We’ve been talking to the FFA for quite some time because we believe the A-League needs to be on free to air, and people need to be able to find it,” said Anderson.

“Football as a participation sport is obviously huge and the A-League is growing.“We want to treat it with the respect it deserves, to promote it and give it scheduling consistency. We want to give it a regular timeslot, and give it the chance to grow. We can promote it through our news bulletins, through programs like The Project — through a range of appropriate shows.“That benefits us, and gives us a chance to use A-League talent in building the competition’s profile.

If you look at any of our properties, when you have good talent it helps us across a range of shows.”Anderson said the key for the competition was in giving it a predictable home, allowing viewers to know where to find it.

The Ten Network has signed a two-year deal to broadcast A-League games.
“The Women’s Big Bash is a good example of a show that began on One but when its numbers grew it was moved to Ten. But consistency is the key, you can’t chop and change.”FFA CEO David Gallop said the move would give the A-League unprecedented reach.“This new arrangement is an opportunity to showcase the game for the first time on a channel with a history of promoting major sport,” said Gallop.
“It will take our major games, including derbies, into every Australian household for the first time, as well as the finals and certain Socceroos games within our control.“It’s part of our overall deal with Fox Sports and is part of working with them to drive subscription packages so as many people as possible can see the A-League. It’s an important part of the growth of our media value for the future.”Fox Sports CEO Patrick Delany called it “a great result” for the game.

“The arrangement between Fox Sports and Network Ten will ensure more fans than ever before get to watch the best Australian footballers in action every week,” he said.“A prime-time Saturday night A-League match on free-to-air, featuring FOX SPORTS’ expert commentators and world class production, will help grow the game and build football for long-term success.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/c996a6120ca44171950e960562cc6917

This is the best outcome we could have hoped for, I think Ten will certainly give it the respect it deserves. Finals and Grand Final to be shown live too!

Very Good!

Ahhh, the FFA...

A-League on Free to air television!

On a multichannel after we pissed and moaned about SBS shunting the Friday night game to its multi channel.

On Channel One isn't that much of an improvement is it though?

The chance of getting viewers decreases dramatically once it's on a secondary channel.

Hopefully Channel 10 news etc can really promote the game and give it a plug.

Gone from a secondary standard definition channel to a secondary standard definition channel... That's not at an improvement at all. Though the bit about all finals live - if that's actually true - absolutely is an improvement. Funnily, SBS Viceland is a high definition channel now.

I expect Ten to do little cross promotion. One is an afterthought. I expect the A-League to shift all the "blockbuster" games that used to be on Saturday nights to Friday nights because of Foxtel. That was why they got shifted to Saturdays when SBS got Friday rights.

FFA treats us 'like children', says A-League club boss

By Dave Lewis 20 Jul 2017 - 8:00 PM UPDATED YESTERDAY 10:05 PM
3-4 minutes
The club chief, speaking anonymously, offered a stern rebuke to FFA over what the clubs view as a derisory $3.55 million grant offer for the 2017-2018 season, an offer they have universally rejected.

With a FIFA task force due to descend on Australia next month to broker an accord between the game's multiple stakeholders and the FFA over a broadening of its congress, the owner's withering critique is just the latest of a volley of jabs aimed at chairman Steven Lowy and CEO David Gallop.

The clubs are seeking at least $4 million per season in the wake of the latest TV rights deal, and the raising of the salary cap to $2.9 million.

And with the owners' bid to force FFA to open their accounts for scrutiny being denied, their faith in the governing body appears to have all but evaporated.

FIFA, too, is running short of patience, threatening to seize control and sack the FFA board if it has not satisfactorily democratized its governance structures by the November deadline set by the world ruling body.

"There has been an evolution in the game over the past 12 years since the inception of the competition," said the owner.

"Back then we, the clubs, were immature toddlers and it made sense for their to be a firm hand to control how the game grew, and that came from FFA.

"Nobody had an issue with that because in many respects we were infants and there was a need for a governing structure which we operated within and we readily acquiesced to.

"But, as time has gone on, we have grown up, become wiser and reached a level of maturity which demands that we must be treated in a different manner to the kids that we once were.

"The problem is that FFA has not readily recognized this, and while we have now graduated and become adults they still treat us rather like children.

"It's something which needs to addressed because it doesn't make for an environment of full cooperation."

The clubs are pushing for an independently run A-League, believing it's time for head office to cede control in the best interests of the game.

"There really needs to be recognition that we, as the main investors in the competition since its birth in 2005, deserve to have greater control of our own destinies," added the owner.

"What we are seeing now, in terms of our relationship with FFA, is really about a coming of age which can't simply be ignored."

FFA's refusal to open their books for the clubs' perusal has sparked threats of legal action, in what another owner describes "as a serious situation."

Asked to address to the comments an FFA spokesman stated: "We are not going to respond to anonymous criticism."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/07/20/ffa-treats-us-children-says-league-club-boss

can't see how this will end without the entire FFA being sacked!!

We can all see it, we knew Lowy Jr would be more of the same.

He's actually been worse.

Would an independent A-League mean no threat to clubs getting culled?

..Asking for a friend.
Come back to the red side......

In all honesty a rebel league may well help teams like the Nix and any others that may want to join.

Come back to the red side......

In all honesty a rebel league may well help teams like the Nix and any others that may want to join.
You guys have more than enough fans, we'll need all we can get :D

That would be very handy. Stable future. I'd assume the only way we'd fail is if we pull the plug ourselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yet on the Other hand Greg griffin ran North Adelaide to the ground.
The business side of the Reds is doing pretty well, and he's a large part of it.

But he has no idea about sport and it shows through. We won the double in spite of him IMO.

The business side of the Reds is doing pretty well, and he's a large part of it.

But he has no idea about sport and it shows through. We won the double in spite of him IMO.
he is here to make money, half of that starting 11 that won Adelaide united the grand final were gone

Is it true that Wellington drew, 0-0, with an amateur team last night? I'm not sure how many semi-professional teams there are in NZ, if any (Auckland-kind of).

Is it true that Wellington drew, 0-0, with an amateur team last night? I'm not sure how many semi-professional teams there are in NZ, if any (Auckland-kind of).
Yes. Apparently Darije was focusing on our defence and structure rather than attack... Believe that if you will..
Rossi got a red card, haha..

Perth Glory lost 3-1 against Inglewood United the other week.

Perth Glory lost 3-1 against Inglewood United the other week.

Andy Keogh is their manager too. His brother also scored in that game. To be fair to the Glory though, it was mostly the NPL and NYL kids playing.

Andy Keogh is their manager too. His brother also scored in that game. To be fair to the Glory though, it was mostly the NPL and NYL kids playing.
From what I read it was their first team in the first half, where they went down 1-0, then the NPL guys in the second, where they went down 2-1.

From what I read it was their first team in the first half, where they went down 1-0, then the NPL guys in the second, where they went down 2-1.

Yeah the first team in the first half but it took a 30 yard rocket from Keogh's brother to beat Reddy. Being the first game back I don't really care about that result as they have a bit of form for being crap the first 1-2 games of pre-season. They played Perth SC last night and had a comfortable 3-0 win.

We are playing White City tonight, wouldn't shock me if we got done given most of our recruits aren't playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back