A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Good. Hopefully it will help.

22050338_1813571575323926_6424488942625440899_n.jpg

Hyundai A-League Clubs can spend a maximum of $3,748,516 this season (including loyalty, homegrown and scholarship players, plus salary cap banking)
On top of this they can spend an unlimited amount on two marquee players, a 14 game guest player, a mature age rookie and any relocation expenses.
Would anyone know what sort of league that compares to?

Absolutely not. People either weren't following the sport pre-2004 or idiotic if they think it'll get back to how awful it was at board level down in the dark days.

Rugby is in a far worse position.

Apparently you could still get NRL granny tickets as of yesterday.
Not a good sign for them.

I don't think anything untoward has happened - maybe he just thought it was a really good offer. Turkey has been a decent home for Australians over the last few years. If he goes well, he moved up the ranks of European leagues - if it goes badly, he still has Asia, including Australia to fall back on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do Sydney FC fans think Arnold is a tit? Genuine question. I can totally understand people hating Muscat so wondering if Sydney FC fans have some sort of understanding of how much others dislike him.

I had a strong interest in Melbourne Heart....then Melbourne City. The problem is they turn over so many players each season, I found it difficult to form any attachment. IMO it's one of the A-League's biggest challenges......retaining players so fans have get some continuity. I feel like I'm following a different team every year.

I had a strong interest in Melbourne Heart....then Melbourne City. The problem is they turn over so many players each season, I found it difficult to form any attachment. IMO it's one of the A-League's biggest challenges......retaining players so fans have get some continuity. I feel like I'm following a different team every year.

I hear ya it's a problem within the whole league not just at City. The recycled player retention is even worse. Unfortunately Clubs are more interested with quick fix and papering over cracks modes then with say a rebuild like in the AFL.

1) it's easier to do that in the A-League with only Ten teams despite the salary cap.
2) the gap between NPL standard and A-League stranded is far to wide.
3) players are encouraged to go and test themselves in overseas leagues Europe preferrable but lots of Money are also being thrown around in Asian leagues that is very tempting for young Professional footballers who don't make it to Europe.
4) end of the day it's all a results driven league.

Unfortunately it's going to be this way until we get more teams and more Money flowing through.

Last edited:

Agreed, could be worse though...Michael Mifsud could still be playing for us ;)

What I can't understand is that South Melbourne is not wanted in the A League due to its NSL/Ethnic ties, nor is any team with such ties wanted.

But then why is it fine for these teams to play in the FFA Cup.

What would happen if there was a Melbourne Knights vs South Melbourne FFA Cup final?

Is that what FFA wants?

Just can't work out why its not a problem in the FFA Cup but it is a problem in the A League.

What I can't understand is that South Melbourne is not wanted in the A League due to its NSL/Ethnic ties, nor is any team with such ties wanted.

But then why is it fine for these teams to play in the FFA Cup.

What would happen if there was a Melbourne Knights vs South Melbourne FFA Cup final?

Is that what FFA wants?

Just can't work out why its not a problem in the FFA Cup but it is a problem in the A League.

It's only a problem to the Lowy's

A-League clubs set to sue FFA after EGM called to end governance crisis
gettyimages-630283098.jpg

Intensifying the turmoil surrounding Australian football after reports of Socceroos coach Ange Postecoglou's imminent departure, FFA has called the meeting for November 1 and claims it has enough support for its preferred 9-4-1-1 model.

As reported first by The World Game, A-League clubs threatened legal action to stop what Adelaide United chairman Greg Griffin has described as an "abuse of power" from FFA.

A-League clubs' legal threat has Lowy in limbo as FIFA takeover looms

A-League clubs have threatened legal action to ensure they have a greater say in the governance of Australian football amid a pact between the FFA and the state federations designed to freeze the clubs out of the reform process.

But FFA chairman Steven Lowy responded on Wednesday in a letter to Griffin, defending the governing body's actions and accusing him of not fully understanding the reform process.

A-League clubs and Professional Footballers Australia oppose FFA's structure and want a 9-5-1-1 model - with an extra vote for the clubs - to ensure the nine state federations no longer have the majority power to decide who is elected onto FFA's board.

Griffin wrote on Sunday to FFA on behalf of the clubs, accusing the governing body of "contemptuous" behaviour and acting "in concert" with the state federations to retain the status quo.

"There is no polite way of describing this other than it being an attempt to perpetuate the existing gerrymander which has resulted in ... the existing board of FFA (maintaining) absolute control over who is to stay or be invited to join the board," Griffin wrote in the letter.

Griffin said the clubs would launch an injunction to stop the EGM happening, and claimed FFA was acting against the instructions of FIFA by pushing through a congress model that not all stakeholders agreed with.

FIFA has implied it will only accept a model agreed to by all three stakeholders - the states, clubs and players - having tried and failed to fix the stand-off by sending a delegation in August to oversee talks.

However, Lowy fired back on Wednesday, denying Griffin's claims that the state federations would vote as a bloc and saying they all had "independent minds".

Postecoglou to quit in November even if Socceroos book World Cup spot: reports

Ange Postecoglou will sensationally quit as Sooceroos coach after the final World Cup qualifiers in November even if Australia book their place in Russia.

A 75 per cent vote of FFA's membership - currently nine votes for the state federations and one for the clubs - is required to pass constitutional change and modify the congress.

Lowy said he was confident there would not only be enough support for the 9-4-1-1 model but said it would also satisfy FIFA and AFC's concerns.

"Any decision on the future membership composition of FFA is, as a matter of company law, a decision to be taken by the present members," Lowy wrote.

"If the proposed constitutional amendments are carried by the meeting, FFA will report to the FIFA committee, as will be the case, that FFA has responded constructively and in good faith to the committee's wishes."

A resolution must be struck by November 30 or FIFA will remove FFA's board and install a 'normalisation committee' to run Australian football.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/arti...ue-ffa-after-egm-called-end-governance-crisis

Lowy loses crunch FFA congress motion
steven_lowy_1.jpg

Lowy's motion to reform the FFA Congress fell short of the threshold to be passed at the governing body's annual meeting on Thursday afternoon.

The A-League clubs detailed a list of 13 potential conflicts of interest involving FFA board members.

As expected, the A-League clubs and the NSW and Victoria state federations voted against the motion for FFA's preferred Congress model, one also bitterly opposed by the players' union.

Lowy needed a 75 per cent majority to expand the membership that votes on the FFA board by the end of Thursday - FIFA's deadline.

High noon for Lowy as opponents stand firm in joust for power

The curtain on the tumultuous two-year reign of FFA chairman Steven Lowy could be about to fall with the A-League clubs, the PFA and two rebel states holding a united front as Australian football's governance crisis nears its crescendo.

Seven of the nine state federations voted in favour but swing state Victoria stuck to its guns in opposition.

The matter will now be referred to FIFA, which will decide whether to remove Lowy and his board and install a so-called normalisation committee to temporarily run the sport.

Speaking on behalf of A-league clubs, Adelaide United chairman Greg Griffin said the vote made it obvious Lowy "has lost the locker room".

FFA has no right to appoint Postecoglou successor, claims Griffin

On the day that FFA lost coach Ange Postecoglou, they also lost the legitimacy to select a successor to lead Australia into battle at the 2018 World Cup.

"The professional game voted against it, the two major states voted against it," Griffin said.

"Once you lose the locker room in sport, it's very difficult to get it back.

"I think it has to go to FIFA. It's regrettable but that's what it is."

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/11/30/lowy-loses-crunch-ffa-congress-motion

Cya!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back