A-league 2019/20 Off Season Thread - News, Rumors, Signings etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Captain Durante announces Phoenix departure

The most capped player in A-League history with 313 appearances, Durante's leadership has become part of the Phoenix fabric but is joining an exodus that began when Rudan announced his departure two months ago.
Rudan, who will be the inaugural coach of Western United, is already confirmed to have Phoenix players Filip Kurto and Max Burgess on his books for next season.
It appears centre back Durante, 37, will join them, spurning an offer to stay in Wellington where he had been offered an expanded off-field role.
In announcing his Phoenix departure on social media, Durante did nothing to quell reports he would join the Geelong-based expansion club.
"I have an opportunity to challenge myself in a new environment, to take on a new adventure with my wife and kids, closer to our family," Durante said.
"For me, life is about taking on new challenges, to test yourself in places that may make you uncomfortable, to experience new things and to grow as a person.
"Not everyone will agree with it, not everyone will see my view on things, but that's OK. That's football and that's life."
It marks the end of an era in Wellington, which Durante made his home after leaving the Newcastle Jets in 2008 and performed at a consistently high level for more than a decade.
His three daughters were all born in New Zealand and Durante proved his loyalty by turning out 24 times for the All Whites.
Phoenix officials couldn't be contacted after losing another battle at the negotiating table, having bid farewell last month to star forward and Johnny Warren Medal winner Roy Krishna.
On Tuesday morning they confirmed the other half of their potent 2018-19 strike force, former Socceroos forward David Williams, has exited after having bagged 11 goals.
New Phoenix coach Ufuk Talay faces a hefty rebuilding job, with four visa slots to be filled and an entire front line to replace.
He can at least call on experience at the back in Durante's absence, with veteran former Newcastle United defender Steven Taylor having committed to next season and now boasting strong credentials to captain the Kiwi club.
Talay's first two signings were New Zealand international goalkeeper Stefan Marinovic and Australian teenage left-back Walter Scott.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/cap...SoCET1U5KypK9Haosx2yZKKCgrsnWMdAG-JJLHpczpJ7A

Rudan has really taken a big dump on the Nix hasn’t he? He was probably all part of the FFA plan to dismantle them.
#metrics

Last edited:
May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Andy's been a great servant to the game in NZ and I wish him well.

Meanwhile Rudan continues to be quickly becoming the most hated man in NZ soccer after all the crap he spewed. He'll long be remembered as the coach who revived the Phoenix only to later play an integral part in its downfall just a few weeks later.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Didn't Rudan say he wanteed to leave the club in a better position when he left than it was on his arrival? What an absolute scumbag. You can forgive him taking the cream of the crop but poaching a 37 year old centre half who (no offense - I like the guy) you could easily find the equivalent to in the NPL is damn poor.

I can near guarantee the FFA knew exactly what was going to happen and probably gave their blessing.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
How does the Hyundai A-League transfer window work?

Matt Dorman

Player movements in the Hyundai A-League are set to ramp up in the coming weeks, with released and retained lists being published and the opening of the transfer window on July 24 likely to bring more fresh faces from overseas.
See below for all the key details of the transfer window, including when new signings can officially be registered to represent their clubs.

How does the transfer window work?
The Hyundai A-League operates around two transfer windows, known more formally as registration periods.
Within these times, clubs can officially lodge the paperwork necessary to ensure new signings are eligible to play.
The first registration period begins on July 24 and closes on October 15, 2019, while the second runs from January 3 to January 31, 2020.
Recent signings such as Kosta Barbarouses (to Sydney FC), Daniel Georgievski (to Western Sydney Wanderers) and Filip Kurto (to Western United FC) will not be officially registered with their new club until the registration period opens on July 24.
Both transfer windows bring flurries of activity, as clubs take stock and consider how best to approach the new campaign – or make changes for the crucial run-in at the end of the season.
Players can be signed and registered at any point until 11:59pm on the final day of these windows.
New signings from overseas require an International Transfer Certificate (ITC) to be passed between the relevant national associations.
While an ITC must be requested before a window closes, it can be received beyond the final day.
Can clubs register a player outside the Registration Period?
Yes, certain opportunities exist for clubs to add new players to their rosters outside the designated windows.
The most straightforward option is if the player is a free agent – and last registered as a professional footballer – prior to the conclusion of the registration period.
Alternatively, a player can be registered if FFA is satisfied that 'exceptional circumstances' exist, for example if an individual has terminated their contract at another club with just cause.
If a player is signing from overseas under 'exceptional circumstances', FFA requires approval from the sport's international governing body FIFA.
How do loans work?
Domestic loans
For players moving domestically within the Hyundai A-League, the following rules apply:
  • The player must be Australian, and eligible for national team duty
  • The player must be born after January 1, 1996 (so be no older than 23 at the start of the 2019/20 Hyundai A-League season)
  • The term of the loan must be for a period of at least one registration period to another, or until the end of the season
  • Clubs may not loan out more than two domestic players, and may not receive more than two domestic loan players
  • The loaned player is ineligible to play against his parent club
International loans
There is no limit to incoming or outgoing loans internationally, providing the Hyundai A-League club complies with foreign player limits.
For international loans, dates vary due to differing seasons around the world, but players must be registered during the first or second registration period to meet the requirements of the International Transfer Certificate.

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/ho...cYrmmlCCnl0-1tE3engY9FjsM0nWlj02DV8khvlTDHBxw

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Around the Grounds: Redmayne linked with English club, Glory teen makes Germany move, Wanderers recruit looks the goods

John Greco

Andrew Redmayne has enjoyed arguably the best season of his career but things could get even better for the Sydney FC shot-stopper.
The last month has seen the 30-year-old star in the Sky Blues’ Grand Final win over Perth Glory – making two saves in the penalty shootout – while he also made his Caltex Socceroos debut in a friendly against Korea Republic.
And now a report in the Bristol Post has Redmayne linked with a possible move to England.
The in-form gloveman has reportedly attracted interest from Bristol City, the same club where Caltex Socceroos defender Bailey Wright plays at.
The sticking point could be whether the Robins are prepared to pay a transfer fee for Redmayne, who has another year to run on his Sydney FC deal.
Redmayne, trialled with Arsenal early in his career, has been with the Sky Blues since 2017.
He has also played for Brisbane Roar, Central Coast Mariners, Melbourne City and Western Sydney Wanderers in the Hyundai A-League.
Andrew Redmayne celebrates lifting the Hyundai A-League championship

Italiano arrives in Germany
Ex-Perth Glory teenage starlet Jacob Italiano has touched down in Germany to join his new club Borussia Monchengladbach.
The exciting attacking midfielder signed with the Bundesliga club in December 2017 but was allowed to remain with the Hyundai A-League club until he turns 18.
Italiano – who turns 18 in July – has moved to the club now to prepare for the new season with the U23s squad at Monchengladbach ahead of the start of the campaign in August.
"Jacob Italiano is a great talent whose path we have been following for a long time and we are very happy that he is with us now," Monchengladbach sporting director Max Eberl said.
Italiano played 19 games for Glory in the Hyundai A-League after making his debut as a 16-year-old in 2017.

Wanderers recruit has knack for the spectacular
Markus Babbel made his fourth signing of the off-season this week with the addition of Polish international midfielder Radoslaw Majewski.
The 32-year-old has played his entire career in Europe, enjoying most success in his homeland where he has won a Polish Cup and Super Cup.
And by the look of some of his highlights in the Polish Ekstraklasa, the Wanderers have got themselves a player who could light up Bankwest Stadium in the 2019/20 Season.

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/ar...EhK_Obbhr9AqPkT-WSY2_hT2axCc5qCw_2j70x6J4Yivk

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Big lose for The Glory, he was a big reason in them wining the league.

I had to ‘grab’ Korea opportunity, declares Davidson | The World Game

Negotiations Between the Koreans - who are joint top of the K League 1 table - and Glory lasted barely a week before an undisclosed fee was agreed on Wednesday.
Davidson saluted Glory for allowing him to accept the lucrative move to one of Asia’s powerhouse leagues.
“When I came to the club I wanted to give myself the best opportunity to be successful, and Tony Popovic and everybody at the club gave me that platform,” he told The World Game.
“I’m very grateful for that - but in football when opportunities arise like this you need to grab them with both hands.
“Ulsan are a big club and are everything that Perth - having qualified for the (AFC) Champions League - are striving to follow.
“Ulsan are up there fighting for the title and play Urawa Reds tonight (Wednesday) chasing a place in the last eight of the ACL.
“To be a able to be a part of something like that - if the deal all goes forward - really attracted me.”
The approach for Davidson - who recently signed a season-long extension with Perth - came out of left field, quite literally.
The two-time K1 winners - and seven-time runners up - were initially looking for a winger and sent scouts to watch Adelaide United’s Craig Goodwin and Davidson’s Glory teammate Chris Ikonomidis.
Whilst Goodwin turned down overtures, flying wing-back Davidson caught the eye.
Coach Kim Do-hoon followed up by having him watched on several other occasions - with each trip only hardening his resolve to land the 27-year-old.
“If you perform on the pitch you just never know who’s watching,” added Davidson.
“For me, I was fortunate enough that they were watching our games and I played to a standard that interested them.
“They continued to watch and obviously they have come in and put an offer down which Perth have accepted.
“That showed how keen they were to bring me in mid-season, which was a huge positive.
“It’s a big reason why I was so interested in the move when I heard about it, because they just wanted to bring me in and they made it happen.”
Not yet able to force his way into Graham Arnold’s Socceroos plans, the 2014 FIFA World Cup player and 2015 AFC Asian Cup winner hopes this latest move can only strengthen his claims.
“Having an opportunity like this, to be able to go over there to a big club, and hopefully play week-in week-out will give me a stronger claim to the national team,” he added.
“For me now is just the beginning. It’s back to the drawing board.
“I must go over there and perform and get the job done like I did when I came to Perth. The hard work begins now.
“I’m feeling the best I have ever - strong, fit and slim.
“I’m coming off a holiday and while I aim to hit the ground running, it’s mid season and it may take me a little bit of time and the club understand that.
"I’m excited and hungry to go over there and prove a point, and have a real go at it.”
Having the played in the Netherlands' Eredivisie, England's Premier League and Championship - as well as in Portugal, Croatia and Slovenia - Davidson sees Asia as his next great frontier.
“I’ve been fortunate to have played a long time overseas,” he added.
“To come back to Australia and after just one season to win a Premiers Plate, make it to a grand final and get the opportunity to go overseas straight away is a blessing and something I don’t take lightly.”

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory turn to arch enemy for Muscat replacement
David Davutovic, Herald Sun

Former Adelaide United boss Marco Kurz will become Melbourne Victory’s sixth coach, replacing club great Kevin Muscat.
Victory are expected to ratify the appointment on Tuesday, with Kurz beating a group of high-calibre, mainly overseas contenders to sign a multi-year deal.
It’s understood that Kurz had emerged as the clear favourite of Victory’s coach selection panel, which included chairman Anthony Di Pietro, over a week ago but they’ve since been negotiating personal terms.

Ex Melbourne City and Brisbane Roar coach John Aloisi was understood to be the only local option that made the final six-man shortlist after dozens of strong options were considered.

Kurz, 50, has been in talks with Victory since May, when he stayed in Australia for several weeks after his Adelaide contract expired.

He will quickly turn his attention to plugging the many gaps on Victory’s roster after a host of exits, including Keisuke Honda, Georg Niedermeier, Raul Baena, Kosta Barbarouses and possibly James Troisi, who is out of contract.

The German enjoyed some epic duels with Muscat’s Victory in his two seasons at Adelaide before he was controversially released, despite a penalty shootout standing between United and a grand final appearance.

Kurz, who has German Bundesliga experience, was a popular figure with his United players while also upping the training intensity and made two FFA Cup finals, winning in 2018.

A defender who played for Borussia Dortmund, Schalke and 1860 Munich, Kurz carved his coaching teeth at 1860 Munich and Kaiserslautern, where he won promotion with Kaiserslautern in 2009-10.

He later coached Hoffenheim, Ingolstadt and Fortuna Dusseldorf before moving to Australia.

Kurz has been a passionate figure on the A-League sidelines but appeared to fall out with Adelaide’s new owners midway through last season, conceding they lacked a “common vision” before the club announced that they would not extend his contract.

He was in contention for the Brisbane Roar job, before they opted to sign Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Will be interesting to see how he goes there, I wasn't as big of a fan as some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back