A-league 2019/20 Off Season Thread - News, Rumors, Signings etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
2019/20 fxture:

It's a compromised draw with the 11 clubs each playing 13 home and 13 away matches, some clubs play each other three times and others twice. So, for example, Western United play Melbourne Victory three times and Melbourne City twice.

I still struggle with the Australian franchise system of creating top level clubs rather than clubs starting from grass roots then rising to the top on merit. But it explains why supporters would have little loyalty.

Who will support the new club, Western United? Victory's average attendance peaked at 27,000 in 2007 and last season was 17,000. City have been getting about 9,000. WU will be hoping to pinch a few supporters from both clubs plus a few extras but I can't see many switching.

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
Apparently hoping to move from 12 to 14 ASAP. I would add 2 new teams in one go, but at least one already existing club.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
No SCG games this year. Sydney play at jubilee 10 times, which from the looks of the tv coverage, is quite a good oval to play at.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
The word I've heard is Canberra and Brisbane 2 are the next 2 lined up and ready to go.

This time they won't be staggered either.

They turfed Canberra out of the most recent process early - I think there were 10 bids, which they shortened to 6, and Canberra were among those first 4 turfed out. (Actually, Brisbane Strikers might've been turfed out at that stage too?) I don't know that Canberra is a market that the game particularly cares about.

Although maybe independence has changed that?

Everything is hypothetical and dependent on a FTA deal anyway. They desperately need the 10 deal to happen, and for it to be successful, especially given what we've heard in recent months about Fox Sports wanting to wind back how much they're paying for particular sports.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
They turfed Canberra out of the most recent process early - I think there were 10 bids, which they shortened to 6, and Canberra were among those first 4 turfed out. (Actually, Brisbane Strikers might've been turfed out at that stage too?) I don't know that Canberra is a market that the game particularly cares about.

Although maybe independence has changed that?

Everything is hypothetical and dependent on a FTA deal anyway. They desperately need the 10 deal to happen, and for it to be successful, especially given what we've heard in recent months about Fox Sports wanting to wind back how much they're paying for particular sports.
Canberra was in the last group and the only reason they missed was fox wanted a 3rd Syd and Mel team.

Brisbane pulled out of the process themselves. Wanting some more time. Word was they came in late to put another offer in and they they were told that they would be in next expansion.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Would just love to seem some content generated from the league. Hopefully the owners realise it's cheap "advertising". Should be a Youtube channel with all the press conferences (pre and post). A weekly hour highlights package. A weekly "Thursday Teams" show and then some actual content generated by the clubs themselves (inside Anfield type things, fans love "behind the scenes" content.

All this stuff costs very little in the modern age. You need a set, camera and lighting. Upload to Youtube and that's it. If the FTA channel wont to use it then fine.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Would just love to seem some content generated from the league. Hopefully the owners realise it's cheap "advertising". Should be a Youtube channel with all the press conferences (pre and post). A weekly hour highlights package. A weekly "Thursday Teams" show and then some actual content generated by the clubs themselves (inside Anfield type things, fans love "behind the scenes" content.

All this stuff costs very little in the modern age. You need a set, camera and lighting. Upload to Youtube and that's it. If the FTA channel wont to use it then fine.
People bag the AFL and NRL but damn do their social media kill it.

Podcasts, player profiles, Twitter and Facebook they are everywhere.

A-league struggle with this. Which is strange because of how easy it would be to do it.

I mean the Skyblues don't even have any podcasts, let alone anything regular on YouTube or fb. Ridiculous.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
People bag the AFL and NRL but damn do their social media kill it.

Podcasts, player profiles, Twitter and Facebook they are everywhere.

A-league struggle with this. Which is strange because of how easy it would be to do it.

I mean the Skyblues don't even have any podcasts, let alone anything regular on YouTube or fb. Ridiculous.
Yeah, it's insane. We had Raul Baena do a little series on Melbourne last year and the fans went nuts for it, was literally a couple of two minute videos. I mean all they have to do is basically rip off what Premier League clubs are doing and put an Aussie flavour to it, don't even have to be that creative.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah, it's insane. We had Raul Baena do a little series on Melbourne last year and the fans went nuts for it, was literally a couple of two minute videos. I mean all they have to do is basically rip off what Premier League clubs are doing and put an Aussie flavour to it, don't even have to be that creative.
Hell do what the AFL and NRL clubs do and make it about football. Simple.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix

Honestly, Nix have all of those which is why we're constantly the most actively watched soccer channel in Australasia, and we post pretty much a couple of times every day on social media. Up to 4.5k subscribers on YouTube, which is second most subs behind Victory (as per usual).
Our social media guys are pretty good, I do think we could do more though
More Simpsons quotes pls.
Whoever runs your account is such a memer, and I'm all for it :D You sometimes see me comenting on their posts haha

Mighty Eagles

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Once again the season goes on too long. I think the final should be held in early April, wrapping up the competition two months earlier than plan.

The A League season is simply too long

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Melbourne derby set to electrify A-League Round 1, with Marvel Stadium set for reconfiguration
An electric Melbourne derby will headline the opening round of the A-League season, with Marvel Stadium’s grandstands to be brought in for the first time in two years.
Melbourne Victory fans will be closer to the action this season, with the Docklands venue’s stands coming in for four of their five home fixtures.

Melbourne Victory and Melbourne City will lock horns with new coaches and new-look squads for their Round 1 clash, with several more derbies set to follow in ensuing weeks with the arrival of a third Victorian club.

Western United will wait until Round 2 to play its first home game at Kardinia Park, after a potentially spicy opening weekend trip to Wellington Phoenix.

United pinched coach Mark Rudan, captain Andrew Durante, A-League goalkeeper of the year Fiip Kurto and rookie sensation Max Burgess from the Kiwis.

Melbourne City host Adelaide United in their opening home game of the season at AAMI Park.

The A-League fixture is due to be released early next week, as venues are signed off and negotiations continue with Fox Sports and potential Free-to-Air partners.

It comes as the A-League prepares to officially become independent on Thursday, in a huge development for the local game.

Western United will wait until Round 2 to play its first home game at Kardinia Park, after a potentially spicy opening weekend trip to Wellington Phoenix.

United pinched coach Mark Rudan, captain Andrew Durante, A-League goalkeeper of the year Fiip Kurto and rookie sensation Max Burgess from the Kiwis.

Melbourne City host Adelaide United in their opening home game of the season at AAMI Park.

The A-League fixture is due to be released early next week, as venues are signed off and negotiations continue with Fox Sports and potential Free-to-Air partners.

It comes as the A-League prepares to officially become independent on Thursday, in a huge development for the local game.

FFA chiefs refused to comment when contacted about the fixture, with Round 1 due to kick off on October 11, after the AFL and NRL grand finals.

The grand final is set down for May 17, in a season where the A-League will play through FIFA breaks as byes return for the first time since 2010-11.

Western Sydney will feature in a prime time Saturday slot several times in their return to Parramatta Stadium (Bankwest Stadium), which was rocking for the Wanderers’ friendly with Leeds United last week.

Victory fans by enlarge prefer AAMI Park, but the move to reconfigure Marvel Stadium should go down well with the club’s growing fanbase.

The last time the terraces were brought in was Victory’s 2017-18 Round 10 clash with Adelaide United — the Star Wars round.

A-League chiefs are kicking off the season with a bang, with a Sydney derby featuring in the opening rounds of the season.

Seats in at Marvel :thumbsu:
Round one derby :thumbsdown:
This copy and paste was... interesting...

I did lol at this part of the article:

wtf?
Work experience kid writing copy now it seems. The seats are great in for people who are seated in them. Still sucks, albeit a little less, for the rest of us.

Victory should've stopped playing at Docklands years ago. Part of why I stopped getting a membership is refusing to watch games there. Crowds don't warrant an AFL oval. Transparent greed from the club owners at the spectators expense.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Victory should've stopped playing at Docklands years ago. Part of why I stopped getting a membership is refusing to watch games there. Crowds don't warrant an AFL oval. Transparent greed from the club owners as the spectators expense.

I agree, But with the seats in (like they are gonna be) it’s not to bad. That “Transparent greed“ has and still make the club a shitload of money. To me it’s good business not greed.

I gotta say through as much as most fans hate the joint (myself included) without Docklands Victory wouldn’t have become the big juggernaut it was and currently still is. The big crowds and novelty may have worn off compared to ten years ago but the club still has a healthy consistent fan and membership base and still manger to produce a good loyal crowd of 15k - 20k that would go to home game. Easily bigger than any other A-League club.
Docklands imo played a big part in shaping that foundation for the club.

Last edited:

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Got to say, some seriously good recruiting done across the league this year. Apart from being really excited to see Victory play, am very interested in what the Smurfs, Roar and Western United put out.

Alongside seeing the RBB back in action I hope. Been a bit gloomy of late about the league but I hope we have hit rock bottom and are turning the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back