A-league 2019/20 Off Season Thread - News, Rumors, Signings etc..

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivory Coast international representative Adama Traore
Yeah I know who he is, just being silly.

Good signing, very disappointed he never played for the Socceroos actually

Some updates across the league. Not long till the start of the season now only three weeks!

A-League and Australian football news: Besart Berisha linked with stunning Melbourne City transfer despite being Melbourne Victory hero | Goal.com
Australian winger Martin Boyle could be available for November's World Cup qualifier against Jordan as he gets closer to a return from injury.

Boyle's Scottish Premiership club Hibernian announced on Twitter that the 26-year-old would be back in action soon from the knee issue he suffered in July.

"We're pleased to report that @MartinBoyle9's rehabilitation is coming along well and, if all goes to plan, he should be back sooner than first feared," the club posted.

Scotland-born Boyle made his debut for the Socceroos against South Korea in November last year and looked set to be a key player at the green and gold's Asian Cup defence in 2019 after scoring a double in a lead-up match against Lebanon.

But a season-ending knee injury suffered in the lead-up to the tournament kept him sidelined for the rest of the season.

While the Socceroos' October World Cup qualifiers will probably come a little soon for Boyle, he is a realistic chance to be included for the crucial away match against Jordan on November 14.

Melbourne City want to sign championship winner Besart Berisha as a back-up to first-choice striker Jamie Maclaren.

The 34-year-old striker, who won four A-League championships at Melbourne Victory and Brisbane Roar, is currently a free agent and looking for a new club since leaving J-League side Sanfrecce Hiroshima.

According to SMH, City are chasing the Kosovan-born centre forward, who holds Australian citizenship, but negotiations haven't started on a potential deal.

A move for Victory hero Berisha to City will make his return to Melbourne hostile and add a selling point to the three derbies that will played during the regular season.

Western United and Wellington Phoenix have also been linked with deals for the A-League's record goalscorer, who hit the back of the net 116 times in three seasons with Roar and four with Victory.

Socceroos playmaker Aaron Mooy earned his starting debut for Brighton in a 0-0 draw with Newcastle United on Sunday (AEST).

The midfielder, who is on-loan from Huddersfield Town, played 70 minutes as Brighton dominated the game but couldn't get a breakthrough on the road at St James' Park.

The result leaves Brighton in 15th place with six points from six matches while Newcastle have one point less from the same amount of games.

New A-League franchise Western United continued their pre-season with a goalless draw against Adelaide United in Ballarat.

Reds midfielder Riley McGree went closest to opening the scoring with Filip Kurto excellently saving his low shot in the first half.

The A-League season begins in October 11 with a fixture between the Reds and Sydney FC at Coopers Stadium.

Australian midfielder Mustafa Amini scored a late winner for Danish side AGF on Saturday morning as they triumphed 2-1 over OD.

With scores locked in the 80th minute, the Socceroo found the back of the net from distance with a stunning strike.

While Amini started the match, AGF also brought on two more Australians as substitutes in the form of Alex Gersbach and Zach Duncan.

The Danish club currently sit third in the league, eight points behind early leaders Midtjylland, who boast Aussie Awer Mabil.

Former Australian goalkeeper Mark Bosnich was within inches of becoming a Juventus player, according to the club's former director Luciano Moggi.

Having tried to sign both Roy Keane and Alan Shearer, Moggi revealed to the Daily Mail that Bosnich was also firmly on their radar in the late 1990's.

"Then there was the story of Mark Bosnich. He seemed to be ours but then we changed our mind at the last moment after long reasoning," Moggi said.

"He would have done well in Italy too."

While he never lined up in the Serie A, the Aussie's career did include an infamous spell at Manchester United along with a longer stint at Aston Villa.

Australia have risen two spots to 44th in the world after FIFA's most recent rankings were released.

A 3-0 win over Kuwait have seen the Socceroos move ahead of Bosnia and Herzegovina but level with the Czech Republic.

Belgium remain top of the rankings, followed by France and Brazil, with Iran the highest ranked Asian nation at 23rd.

German striker Alexander Meier has signed for Western Sydney Wanderers after a decorated career in his homeland.

Meier, 36, scored 119 times over 300 matches for Bundesliga side Eintracht Frankfurt and finished top scorer in Germany's first division in the 2014-15 season.

Set to arrive in Australia on Sunday, the striker is eager to give all he can for his new side.

“I’m very excited to play in Australia and I can’t wait to go on the plane tonight,” Meier said.

“Markus told me how professional the club is and that they are very ambitious, and it is a great club to play for. I don’t like to speak about myself, about what I can deliver, all I can say that is I will always give 100 per cent on and off the field.

“The most important thing for me is that as a team we all stand for each other, in bad and in good times, and the better the environment we create, success can come from this."

Meier completes Markus Babbel's foreign contingent this season and has been classed as the Wanderers second marquee player.

Australian midfielder James Holland scored the decisive goal for LASK in a 1-0 win over Rosenborg in the Europa League on Friday morning.

The former Socceroo turned home a corner just before half-time for his first goal of the season.

That contribution would prove crucial as Holland's Austrian club held on for all three points.

LASK have been drawn in Group D for the Europa League alongside Sporting and PSV.

Holland joined the side in 2017 after previous stints in the A-League, Eredivisie and Chinese Super League.

With the upcoming release of FIFA 20, the game not only provides all important player ratings, but also weighs in on a player's potential.

Along with an overall current assessment of their skills, players in FIFA are also given a future rating they could achieve based on form and pure talent.

Ahead of FIFA 20's global release on September 27, Goal casts an eye on the Australian players that have been backed to shine in years to come.

Check it out here.

Melbourne Victory has signed experienced Albania defensive midfielder Migjen Basha on a two-year deal.

The 32-year-old heads Down Under after a campaign with Greek side Aris Thessaloniki - and has picked up 33 caps for his country during his career.

"I'm very pleased to add another international with such experience to our squad," Victory coach Marco Kurz said.
"Given he has played at the highest level domestically I believe he will be a strong leader amongst the group.
"With midfielders Jakob (Poulsen) and Kristijan (Dobras) having also arrived, we're really pleased with the talent we've managed to add ahead of round one."

Basha played three seasons in the Serie A with Torino between 2012-15 and also played in Italy's second division with Bari, Como, Atalanta, Frosinone and Rimini.

Melbourne City are into the FFA Cup semi-finals following a comprehensive 3-0 win over Western Sydney Wanderers at AAMI Park on Wednesday night.

English winger Craig Noone struck a double either side of a a magnificent flicked finish from Socceroos striker Jamie Maclaren.

Wanderers goalkeeper Daniel Lopar had a howler for the opening goal, with his decision to keep the ball from crossing the byline allowing Noone the opportunity to score into an unguarded net.

In the other match, Brisbane Strikers progressed into the final with a 3-2 win over Moreland Zebras.

The FFA semi-finals will be Brisbane Strikers v Melbourne City and Central Coast Mariners v Adelaide United.

Perth Glory has signed Switzerland centre-half Gregory Wuthrich on a one-year deal.

The 24-year-old has played most of his career at Swiss club Young Boys and played in the Champions League against Juventus last season.

Wuthrich joins Osama Malik as Perth's new signings in defence, with Jason Davidson and Scott Neville departing the club in the off-season.

A-League side Newcastle Jets have signed Northern Ireland under-21 international Bobby Burns on a season-long loan deal.

The 19-year-old left-back has moved Down Under from Scottish Premiership side Heart of Midlothian to get the opportunity to play first-team football.

"I’ve played all of my football in the United Kingdom so far, and to come out to Australia is a fantastic opportunity," Burns said.

"To have the opportunity to push for consistent senior football at my age is an exciting one, but I know I’ll have to work hard to earn my spot.

"I have ambitions to kick on from U21 duties and play in the senior Northern Ireland team, and I believe playing for Newcastle will help me do that."

After 10 months on the sidelines, Daniel Arzani returned to action on Tuesday night for Celtic's reserve side against Hibernian in a 1-1 draw.

The Australian attacker came on in the 64th minute of the friendly and immediately impressed, creating a chance before later having a shot saved.

Arzani injured his ACL on debut for Celtic's first team last year with new Hoops coach Neil Lennon saying earlier this week they won't be rushing him back into action.

Scottish striker Jason Cummings could be set to follow in the footsteps of Martin Boyle and switch his allegiance from the Tartan Army to the Australian national team after admitting talks with Socceroos officials.

The 24-year-old attacker, who played two friendlies for Scotland in 2017, is eligible to represent Australia through his mother and says although his birth nation is his preference, he wouldn't hesitate to play for the Socceroos if it meant opportunity at the national team level.

Speaking after he scored on his debut for League One club Shrewsbury Town, Cummings explained he would make his decision in the next month and revealed the contact he had with Australia coach Graham Arnold and his assistant Rene Meulensteen.

Read the full story on Goal!

Melbourne Victory shot-stopper Matthew Acton will be absent for six months after dislocating his shoulder in training last week.

The backup goalkeeper, behind No.1 Lawrence Thomas, is undergoing athroscopic surgery and isn't expected to be available until the back-end of the A-League season.

"It’s unfortunate to lose a talent like Matt from the group for a sustained period,” Victory coach Marco Kurz said.
"The outcome is disappointing for everyone. Matt is obviously feeling flat, but his teammates and everyone at the club are supporting him.
"He is a popular member of the squad and will continue to contribute to the group in any way that he can.
"We wish him a speedy recovery and look forward to having him back at full fitness as soon as possible."

Victory will likely be forced to sign an injury replacement goalkeeper because of the length of Acton's injury.

Former Melbourne Victory star Besart Berisha has gone unwanted by A-League clubs after making himself available for the upcoming season.

The 34-year, who is now an Australian citizen, has been looking for a club Down Under after his release from J-League side Sanfrecce Hiroshima.

But despite several clubs needing a striker, such as Wellington Phoenix, Westeen Sydney Wanderers and Central Coast Mariners, an offer hasn't been tabled for the Kosovo international, according to the World Game.

Berisha won four A-League championships at Melbourne Victory and Brisbane Roar - scoring 116 goals in 186 matches.

ABC has emerged as the favourites to show Saturday afternoon A-League matches this season.

A deal is reportedly close to being struck with the new campaign now less than a month away.

Read the full story here.

Australian striker Nikita Rukavytsya made it three goals from three games for Maccabi Haifa with the opening strike in a 2-0 win Ironi Kiryat Shmona.

The 32-year-old was in the right spot to tap the ball in on 49 minutes to continue his hot goal scoring form for the Israeli club.

Socceroo defender Trent Sainsbury also plays for the same club but is yet to make his debut since crossing from PSV Eindhoven at the end of the transfer window.

Socceroos attacker Awer Mabil opened the scoring on Sunday night in Midtjylland's 3-0 away win over Lyngby.

The Aussie fired home his second goal of the season in the 29th minute to celebrate turning 24 before two second-half strikes wrapped up the three points for his side.

Mabil starred throughout the match, ending the game creating a game-high four chances and boasting the best passing accuracy in the final third.

Midtjylland currently sit top of the Danish Superliga, four points clear of second-placed Kobenhavn.

Melbourne Victory have defeated Western United 6-0 in a friendly played behind closed doors on Sunday.

Western United beat Melbourne City 2-1 on Thursday but had no answers for Marco Kurz's side as Ola Toivonen (2), Andrew Nabbout, Elvis Kamsoba, Kenny Athiu and Birkan Kirdar all got on the score sheet.

Mark Rudan's side will play their first A-League match in under a month when they take on Wellington Phoenix on October 13.

New Zealand prodigy Sarpreet Singh has even been surprised by his own progression at Bayern Munich but is keen to take the opportunity and make his Bundesliga debut.

Since making the move from A-League side Wellington Phoenix at the end of the June, the 20-year-old has been named in the Bundesliga giants' Champions League squad after impressing in the first-team friendlies during pre-season.

Singh says even he didn't expect to get a chance with the Bayern first team so quickly after only a few short months and he wants to repay the club for showing the faith to sign him.

Read the full story on Goal!

The 2019-20 A-League season looms as a big one for many clubs.

With the introduction of Western United and a new stadium for Western Sydney Wanderers, many clubs will be hoping to grow and consolidate their fan bases.

After Goal compared the prices of every A-League club's membership, the early numbers on how many fans are signing up for each club make for interesting reading.

Check them out here.

Though the next A-League season may still be two months away, Goal has rounded up the membership prices for all eleven clubs.

With pre-season well underway for players, clubs have been quick to settle on how much it will cost fans to attend their games in the 2019-20 season.

Ahead of a big campaign for A-League clubs as they look to revitalise the competition, getting their membership pricing right will be crucial.

The Article states that City are interested but Negotiations haven't started, me think Berisha has told them to GAGF on only wanting to sign him as a backup striker! Berisha needs to be the center of attention no way would he sign as just a backup even at his age.
His best option in the A-league for him would be to go to Wellington imo

Sounds made up for clickbait by Theworldgame.com, But anyhow what do people think Berisha should do?

Western United close in on Berisha as final piece of jigsaw | The World Game

The four-time Championship winner has also been linked with Melbourne City, Wellington Phoenix and Central Coast after returning from a 13-month stint in Japan.
However, it appears Berisha, 34, will be the final piece of the jigsaw for coach Mark Rudan ahead of the Melbourne club’s debut season.
The impending capture of the former Brisbane Roar and Melbourne Victory talisman would bring extra pizzazz to United’s derby with Victory, as well as providing proven goal power up front in a veteran double act with 36-year-old Scott McDonald.
The naturalised Australian citizen’s recent return to the country following his release from Sanfrecce Hiroshima initially sparked scant interest from A-League clubs due, in part, to him not kicking a ball for his club all year.
However, as other targets became unattainable, Berisha loomed even larger on the radar with Western United, due to their salary cap dispensations, able to offer the largest lure.
The fiery forward, who has 106 A-League goals from 171 appearances, plans to remain in Melbourne when he retires to set up a coaching academy for kids.
His frustrating spell in Japan brought just six appearances off the bench without scoring.

Hmmmm. Hope it doesnt happen. But if it does I will boo him

maybe

I wouldn't boo him, he was amazing for our club, and he left with our blessing (after a season where a lot of fans thought he was past it.)

He doesn't deserve the same treatment as some prick smurf who ****ed us of for $ once, who we took back, and then ****ed us off again saying he wanted to play for a "big club" and to "win trophies". I'll boo that campaigner til I'm hoarse.

lol this league, Just keeps shooting itself! :D

Fixtures set to change for TV deal
Kevin Airs

TV and football bosses are hoping to finalise a deal which will see every Saturday night's 5.15pm match (Sydney time) shown live on the national broadcaster as well as Fox Sports.
But a quirk of the scheduling already announced by Football Federation Australia means the timeslot is heavily loaded with Wellington Phoenix matches.
In total, a third of the games would feature Phoenix, including six home games for the New Zealand-based side and three more away games.
Eight of those happen on consecutive weekends over December and January.
Now Football Federation Australia has confirmed it will revisit the fixture list to vary things up for the timeslot if the TV deal goes ahead to give Aussie teams a bigger showcase.
A final decision has yet to be made, but it could see 7.30pm games brought forward, while the New Zealand- based Phoenix games may move from 5.15 Sydney-time time to an earlier 3pm Sydney time slot.
The FFA is keen to avoid more drastic changes to the fixture list to avoid causing too much disruption for any fans who have already booked travel arrangements.
"We are more likely to tweak times rather than match fixtures," said a spokesman. "It's too early to say though exactly how that will be finalised."
Talks with the ABC are still said to be underway, but doubts have been raised about the ABC taking Fox Sports content without breaching its charter on commercial advertising, but also lacking the resources to produce its own coverage.
Meanwhile the FFA has told fans to wait and see what it has prepared for its pre-season marketing campaign.
Although radio ads have been booked for upcoming Matildas and Socceroos, it's understood there have been no bookings so far for the A-League season launch.
The governing body says it is keeping its powder dry until the AFL and NRL Grand Finals are over before launching its advertising blitz.
Fox Sports have this month been filming night shoots with each club at their stadiums as part of their promo campaign for the season, and the FFA cited that as an example of the marketing ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats the point in starting to advertise everything when the 2 biggest sports are going to get all the air time. From what I have heard every one within the sport is happy to hold fire until after the gfs (with some starting on monday next week). And as was said on bill and boz last night the people who follow the football, and some casual observers who like to keep an eye on it (myself included), who have an idea when it is starting. I do hope they go all out in order to get as many people as possible to know what is happening (which I gather is what is occuring) but I do understand fully that it is better to wait

Yeah I don't mind this approach. As long as they have decent marketing material it will be fine. The social media people at the A League clubs are a unique bunch and I love to see them keep doing what they do.

Yeah I know who he is, just being silly.

Good signing, very disappointed he never played for the Socceroos actually

Not eligible. Because he played at youth level for Ivory Coast he needed to be eligible for Australia at the time he played for Ivory Coast (he wasn't). Its a shame because he ended up playing a few times for Ivory Coast and would have been perfect for the Socceroos.

Signing news: All-time top scorer Berisha joins Western United FC

The Hyundai A-League's all-time top goalscorer, Besart Berisha, has signed for Western United.
It was revealed on the club's official social media channels that the 34-year-old has signed for Mark Rudan's side, returning to Australia after a 13-month tenure in Japan.
The forward joined up with J-League outfit Sanfrecce Hiroshima in July last year, a month after winning the 2018 Grand Final with Melbourne Victory, his fourth Hyundai A-League Championship.
But after struggling for match minutes in Hiroshima, Berisha is back in Australia, where he will don the colours of Victory's new cross-town rivals Western United in their inaugural season.

Berisha became a naturalised Australian citizen last December, meaning he will not occupy the fifth and final VISA allocation on United's inaugural roster.
The club's international signings so far are Alessandro Diamanti, Panagiotis Kone, Filip Kurto and Dario Jertec.
More importantly, the veteran forward should add an unparalleled experience and mentality to the new United squad, who play their first game against Wellington Phoenix on October 13.
Berisha scored 116 goals across seven thrilling seasons for Brisbane Roar (three) and Victory (four), winning the Championship twice with each club.

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/be...NM3k1VIDLz4vBTCwKMYCk2XmMXRxit49ZM2x2L0LBVMIw

Well s**t not sure it suits him playing in front five people, But Good luck to him! Just don't score against us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back