A-League 2020/21 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
From what I have heard from someone that is close to a staff member at the club, the Poppa rumors are complete bullshit. I also reckon that since that Greek side got relegated, if there was any truth to rumors that only 1 supposed journo that nobody has heard of before was reporting, he might think twice about going.

And yet here we are.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Patrick Kisnorbo appointed Head Coach of Melbourne City FC as Mentor Erick Mombaerts Departs
melbournecityfc.com.au

Former Melbourne City FC player and Assistant Coach Patrick Kisnorbo has been appointed as the new Head Coach of Melbourne City FC following the departure of Erick Mombaerts for family reasons.
Mombaerts will return to Europe following 14-months as Head Coach for the men’s team. Under Erick’s leadership, Melbourne City has qualified for it first ever Grand Final, achieved its highest ever finishing position, and secured a spot in the AFC Asian Champions League for the first time.
He is succeeded by the former Socceroo, who first joined Melbourne City as a player in 2013. Kisnorbo went on to become Club Captain and after retiring as a player, joined the Club’s coaching staff, first with the youth team, before leading the women’s team to 2018 Championship. He was appointed as Assistant Coach to the men’s team last year, working as part of Mombaerts’ coaching staff.
Vice Chairman, Simon Pearce, expressed the Club’s thanks to Mombaerts’ for laying the foundations for future growth and development:
“Under Erick’s guidance, we are now playing a recognisable City brand of football and one that is ingrained within the DNA of the Club.
“His dedication to the completion of that task, during COVID-19, is something we’re extremely grateful for and the onus is on Patrick and all of us to continue to build on the work that Erick has overseen.”
Chief Executive Officer, Brad Rowse, said:
“We are incredibly grateful for all that Erick has achieved and for the mentorship he has provided to Patrick. What we have achieved on the pitch in the last season with Erick at the helm has been a source of great pride, and he is loved by fans, staff and players.
“Patrick has been part of this Club for more than seven years and steps into this role at an incredibly important and exciting time for Melbourne City. All eyes are on next season and we are all ready to get to work to build on the achievements of this season.”
Director of Football Michael Petrillo added:
“Erick’s contribution is part of a multi-year football strategy that has many contributors. His part in this strategy has been invaluable and its significance will always be remembered.
“We have seen the team’s playing style transformed to a more dynamic, attacking brand of football and we are also well positioned to be able to maintain an ongoing challenge for titles.
“Patrick’s apprenticeship under Erick positions him perfectly to take us forward as we enter the next stage of the Club’s journey.”
Erick Mombaerts said:
“I am sad to leave Melbourne City in these circumstances, but I am so very proud of the players and what the Club has achieved during my time here.
“We have reached some incredible milestones, we have implemented an exciting way to play, and we have become a true family, playing together every week for our fans, and I have no doubt that Patrick will continue this work. The team is in safe hands under his leadership.
“I have had a fantastic experience in Melbourne and I will always remember my time here with much fondness, but I have been away from my family for a long time and now I must return to care for them in France.”
Patrick Kisnorbo said:
“I’m grateful to the City Football Group for their support in my development since I began my coaching journey. Erick has taught me so much and I am extremely grateful for the way he has helped both myself and the Club to develop over the last 14 months.
"Melbourne City is in my blood now and I am here to work hard, to give my all and to ensure this team continues to be a team that everyone can be proud to be a part of.”
Melbourne City FC’s Hyundai A-League side will return to training for the 2020/21 season on October 5.

Surely if players salaries are reduced to 30% and cap is reduced by a third season tickets will have to go down by at least a third? Already paying too much for a European equivalent third/fourth tier comp with threat of player exodus The league cannot afford to have players fleeing overseas for better wages

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
$20m A-League exodus raising red flags ahead of new season
The challenges facing the A-League next season have been laid bare by a $20 million exodus of talent – compounded by the prospect of replacing them under a reduced salary cap.
As negotiations drag on between the players association and the A-League clubs over a new collective bargaining agreement that can ensure next season can get underway, teams are dealing with a departure of talent that is expected to worsen in the coming weeks.

Off-season turnover is not a foreign concept in the A-League, a competition where one-year deals are all too common.

However, there are growing concerns about the league’s ability to replace the recent exodus of talent, while operating under a reduced salary cap that is expected to be slashed from $3.1 to $2.1m.

Negotiations between the players’ union – the PFA – and the clubs are ongoing, with lengthy discussions on Monday failing to bring the parties much closer together.

And while those talks are taking place, teams continue to bid farewell to their players.

Already, close to $20 million worth of talent have left Australian and New Zealand shores since June 1, according to transfer website TransferMarkt – including the likes of Western Sydney Wanderers’ captain Mitchell Duke and Wellington Phoenix starlet Liberato Cacace in the past fortnight.

There are fears Perth Glory star Diego Castro, who sat out the season resumption to be with his family, will follow after being left frustrated by mooted pay cuts, and Sydney FC striker Adam le Fondre has been strongly linked to a move to the Indian Super League.

Adelaide United player of the season Riley McGree is also on the radar of several European clubs.

A move to Belgian club Sint-Truiden, where he’ll play under former Melbourne Victory captain and manager Kevin Muscat, was an opportunity that couldn’t be ignored by 19-year-old Cacace as he takes the next steps in his international development.

But replacing one of the bright spots of the 2020 season will be a tough ask, as will Duke’s 14 goals for the Wanderers.

Speaking in the wake of Sydney FC’s historic grand final victory last week, Sky Blues skipper Alex Wilkinson said it was important to keep a high standard of play in the upcoming season – though he didn’t begrudge anyone who opted to take their careers overseas.

“That’s not only in a pandemic situation, that’s just in football in general,” Wilkinson told reporters.

“Our careers are short and you’ve got to do everything to maximise your career, and if that means looking at opportunities elsewhere then so be it.”

The importance of selling the game to new broadcasters next season, with the Fox Sports’ deal set to expire in July, is also an important factor in keeping a quality product on the field, according to Wilkinson.

“It’s an interesting one. I think with the Fox deal expiring next year, we want to put on a good product for whoever is going to come in and bid for the new broadcast rights,” he said.

“It’s important that the standard on the pitch is high and we’ve got quality players.

“If the standard on the pitch is high and we’ve got people watching the games, hopefully we get more interest (from) potential broadcasters.”

CONFIRMED OUTGOING TRANSFERS SINCE JUNE 1:

Player Value (€ Euro)*

Liberato Cacace €800,000

Callum McCowatt €350,000

Dimitri Petratos €675,000

Mitch Duke €600,000

Markel Susaeta €3,200,000

Kadoslaw Majewski €350,000

Gregory Wuthrich €800,000

Dean Bouzanis €300,000

Lawrence Thomas €800,000

Wes Hoolahan €300,000

Tim Hooglan €300,000

Panagiotis Kone €800,000

Eun-Seon Kim €325,000

Michael Maria €200,000

Mirko Boland €350,000

Ola Toivonen €1,000,000

Total €11,150,000

Total ($AU) $18,090,000

*Market values sourced from TransferMarkt

STILL TO COME?

Player Value (€ Euro)*

Adam Le Fondre €800,000

Riley McGree €900,000

Diego Castro €400,000

Total €2,100,000

Total ($AU) $3,400,000

Im not sure this league is gonna last much longer after the Fox deal runs out next year! these are genuine really worrying times for Australia soccer, the professional league is at stake.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Glory
I can't believe no one has gone with the headline "Here Juande, gone the next". Also, I might be the only Glory fan to say this, but I am actually disappointed Kristian Popovic is moving to Greece. I thought he was an upgrade on Wilson and he looked to be a player.

I wonder if Alex Grant will move on. There was talk of him moving to Korea in January, and he is good enough. It will be a massive shame to lose Castro, hopefully that doesn't happen because we just don't have the same threat without him, Fornaroli too often looks isolated.

It will be weird to see what kind of squad we will send to the ACL. They are having a meeting tonight about it, but it sounds like it will definitely go forward. I imagine we will be going with a lot of fill ins, it could provide a good opportunity to trial players or even give some NPL players a chance. I am guessing that Foxe will be in charge for it which might be a poison chalice for him, given I can't see us being competitive with our trimmed squad.

You are far from the only Glory fan to be disappointed about losing Kristian Popovic. His performances after the restart were pretty good and he was one of our most consistent players. He looked to have finally settled and become comfortable at A-League level.

Castro will defo be gone IMO unless he stops being a selfish campaigner and takes a pay cut like everyone else.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
lol forgot all about this award! Congrats to Alessandro!

Alessandro Diamanti claims Johnny Warren Medal at Dolan Warren Awards
Matthew Comito

Western United captain Alessandro Diamanti claimed the Johnny Warren Medal for his outstanding debut Hyundai A-League campaign, receiving the honour at the Dolan Warren Awards held online on Thursday night.
Diamanti received 34 points from a panel that included former professional players, technical experts, match officials and media representatives.
He was followed by Milos Ninkovic (Sydney FC – 28 points) and Jamie Maclaren (Melbourne City FC – 25 points) with Diego Castro (Perth Glory – 23 points) and Ulises Dávila (Wellington Phoenix – 23 points) in equal fourth place.
Diamanti was recruited by Western United ahead of their inaugural Hyundai A-League campaign, and the international marquee proved to be the perfect fit for the Green and Black.
Donning the captains armband for Mark Rudan's side Diamanti led by example throughout the 2019/20 campaign, displaying a damaging set of skills which produced eight goals, five assists and plenty of awe-inspiring moments displaying the trickery, guile and poise which put the Italian on a different level to his competitors.
"It’s a huge pleasure, it’s a great honour, it’s incredible satisfaction," Diamanti said when accepting the Johnny Warren Medal.
"I just want to say thanks to share this medal with my teammates, with the [coaching staff], with my club and my supporters.
My family, my parents, everyone... always they stand by my side, it’s unbelievable and I’m very excited."

GOAL: Diamanti's outrageous chip against the Wanderers was nominated for Goal of the Season
Diamanti's first season of Hyundai A-League football was memorable for so many more reasons than one.
His on-field performances aside, Diamanti's personality and energetic charisma proved an infectious quality which won over United fans and neutrals alike.
Diamanti says it's the way he's been all of his life, and translating that energy and entertainment onto the football pitch may be the secret to his success.
"I’m always like this," he said.
When I go to sleep in the night I put my body on charge and wake up with 100% energy. I’m always like this, I play like that all my life.
"I’m very happy, I want to continue with this behaviour, with this attitude… because when I go on the pitch before a game, when I walk on the pitch I feel the butterflies in my body still like I’m a kid, maybe this is my secret.
"I like to give the smile and positive things to the people, maybe in this moment I can help so if I can share my normal life and people like, I’m happy.
"I feel very good, my body feels very good but it’s important in this sport and in this job at my age if you feel good [in] your head - my head is very free.
"I want to continue, I want to continue my experience, I want to have fun, I want to continue to dream."

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
lol forgot all about this award! Congrats to Alessandro!

Alessandro Diamanti claims Johnny Warren Medal at Dolan Warren Awards
Matthew Comito

Western United captain Alessandro Diamanti claimed the Johnny Warren Medal for his outstanding debut Hyundai A-League campaign, receiving the honour at the Dolan Warren Awards held online on Thursday night.
Diamanti received 34 points from a panel that included former professional players, technical experts, match officials and media representatives.
He was followed by Milos Ninkovic (Sydney FC – 28 points) and Jamie Maclaren (Melbourne City FC – 25 points) with Diego Castro (Perth Glory – 23 points) and Ulises Dávila (Wellington Phoenix – 23 points) in equal fourth place.
Diamanti was recruited by Western United ahead of their inaugural Hyundai A-League campaign, and the international marquee proved to be the perfect fit for the Green and Black.
Donning the captains armband for Mark Rudan's side Diamanti led by example throughout the 2019/20 campaign, displaying a damaging set of skills which produced eight goals, five assists and plenty of awe-inspiring moments displaying the trickery, guile and poise which put the Italian on a different level to his competitors.
"It’s a huge pleasure, it’s a great honour, it’s incredible satisfaction," Diamanti said when accepting the Johnny Warren Medal.
"I just want to say thanks to share this medal with my teammates, with the [coaching staff], with my club and my supporters.
My family, my parents, everyone... always they stand by my side, it’s unbelievable and I’m very excited."

GOAL: Diamanti's outrageous chip against the Wanderers was nominated for Goal of the Season
Diamanti's first season of Hyundai A-League football was memorable for so many more reasons than one.
His on-field performances aside, Diamanti's personality and energetic charisma proved an infectious quality which won over United fans and neutrals alike.
Diamanti says it's the way he's been all of his life, and translating that energy and entertainment onto the football pitch may be the secret to his success.
"I’m always like this," he said.

"I’m very happy, I want to continue with this behaviour, with this attitude… because when I go on the pitch before a game, when I walk on the pitch I feel the butterflies in my body still like I’m a kid, maybe this is my secret.
"I like to give the smile and positive things to the people, maybe in this moment I can help so if I can share my normal life and people like, I’m happy.
"I feel very good, my body feels very good but it’s important in this sport and in this job at my age if you feel good [in] your head - my head is very free.
"I want to continue, I want to continue my experience, I want to have fun, I want to continue to dream."

I wonder how his twitter followers are looking nowadays.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
May 3, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

More info on the Adelaide kit deal
WTF is a UCAN?
Not going to lie though thats' a tough looking kit

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams

Looks like something from the early 90's

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool

Oh yes awesome, let’s by extension associate with the CCP.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The s**t hitting the fan in Perth! Castro Gone!! Whispers are that Nabbout is in doubt of even arriving!

Deportation threat: Ugly twist in A-League pay war
Joe Barton, The Daily Telegraph

In a dramatic breakdown of the relationship between Perth Glory and star player Diego Castro, last year’s A-League grand finalists have allegedly threatened to have their former captain deported over an ugly contract dispute.
As the frustrating impasse in negotiations between A-League clubs and their players over a new collective bargaining agreement dragged on, things behind the scenes have taken an ugly turn across the country, but at its most pronounced at the Western Australian outfit.
Stunning details can be revealed by News Corp of the growing player unrest around the embattled competition, which include Glory’s efforts to have its former captain deported and unfulfilled contract promises such as new Glory signing Andrew Nabbout not being paid since his switch from Melbourne Victory a fortnight ago.

After overwhelmingly rejecting a proposed deal by the clubs on Monday, which is believed to have included 30 per cent pay cuts for next season, players are growing increasingly frustrated with the position of the league’s clubs and owners.

High-profile players are angling for the exit, with some left exasperated by hefty transfer fees being placed upon them amid interest from overseas despite not knowing whether their next pay cheque will arrive – or whether they’ll be required to accept a significant pay cut for the upcoming season, which is expected to operate under a reduced salary cap.

It is expected Football Federation Australia chief executive James Johnson will be forced to step in to take control of negotiations from the clubs, who have spectacularly botched their first major talks after fighting for independence from the game’s governing body in recent years.

But perhaps most concerning is the situation in Perth, where Castro is being shown the door after withdrawing from Glory’s campaign for the remainder of the 2019/20 A-League season.

Both player and club went on the record at the time to say his omission was made for health reasons relating to the COVID-19 crisis, but it has since been revealed that the split was driven by money – with the superstar opting not to take a pay cut to finish the season.

That divide has since grown into a chasm, with claims surfacing that Glory have threatended to call the Department of Home Affairs as it seeks to terminate the 38-year-old’s contract with immediate effect.

It can also be revealed that Glory have paid just 75 per cent of player wages this week – with Socceroo Nabbout not paid a cent – while Wellington Phoenix’s reward for a mammoth 80-day stay in Australia, away from family and friends, was to find out they’d also not been paid their full salaries.

Champions Sydney FC paid their players in full this week, but changed their payment schedule to a fortnightly payment rather than monthly.

There’s no suggestion Sydney will not make the next forthcoming payment in a fortnight.

“To be clear – we paid our players in full for the first two weeks of the month and intend to do the same for the second two weeks. That was communicated to the players (on Tuesday),” chief executive Danny Townsend wrote on Twitter.

“We are in good faith negotiations with our players on a fair and reasonable outcome.

“They have been very understanding and respectful through the process in keeping with our club’s transparent culture. Consistent with how we have engaged them through the COVID situation.”

Across town, players from the Western Sydney Wanderers – owned by Paul Lederer, who heads up the A-League club owners’ representative body – were paid only the $1500 JobKeeper allowance, putting some in a precarious financial position.

The players’ association, who have repeatedly argued the players have already made enough sacrifices to get the game back on its feet after the COVID-19 break, is monitoring the situation closely.

“As per the players’ individual and legally-binding club contracts, the clubs are required to pay the players’ full entitlements and any reduction would be a breach of their contract,” a PFA spokesman said.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
WTF.

I just read a Murdoch article that has clearly come down as pro-worker.

So again. WTF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back