Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
With so many players leaving the league, I wonder how many clubs are going to seriously struggle to put out a competitive side next season.

lucky to even have a league at this point!

Victory, Sydney and Perth are surpose to play ACL in a few weeks, Not sure about Perth and Sydney but I've only counted 7 contracted players at Victory atm lol

lucky to even have a league at this point!

Victory, Sydney and Perth are surpose to play ACL in a few weeks, Not sure about Perth and Sydney but I've only counted 7 contracted players at Victory atm lol

I think we have about 12 or 13 contracted players and there is talk that we may be getting Keogh back. I would not be surprised if half our squad for the ACL is comprised of youth team players.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Players leaving us to go to India LOL
Not a chance the A-League makes it. The salary cap is tiny, who's going to go and watch that? what do they expect to get for that money?
Expanded with teams who were never going to have fans.

Honestly, unless tickets are $5 they're going to struggle to get anyone to games. Forget covid restrictions, those limitations won't be an issue

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Not a chance the A-League makes it. The salary cap is tiny, who's going to go and watch that? what do they expect to get for that money?

Honestly, unless tickets are $5 they're going to struggle to get anyone to games. Forget covid restrictions, those limitations won't be an issue

Bulls membership has been selling well.

You sound like an NSL bitter.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bulls membership has been selling well.

You sound like an NSL bitter.
I barely remember the NSL
I'm speaking about the incompetence of the FFA/A-League. Who on earth are they going to attract to play here with that salary cap? Who's going to watch a standard barely better than NPL given that lack of funds?

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
It’s the national comp, it’s got a dedicated fan base.
Which is quickly dwindling

No one watches on TV or Fox Sports, to the point Fox wanted it gone. Stands are empty more often than not and now they're trotting out a cheap product in the hope that already dwindling fan base stays nailed on? Won't happen IMO. This season will be a disaster, I'm not sure they'll make it

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Which is quickly dwindling

No one watches on TV or Fox Sports, to the point Fox wanted it gone. Stands are empty more often than not and now they're trotting out a cheap product in the hope that already dwindling fan base stays nailed on? Won't happen IMO. This season will be a disaster, I'm not sure they'll make it

No doubt tv is a problem but streaming isn’t.

They’ll make it as there are fans of the clubs playing.

They’ll make it and grow again.

Another departure from Perth.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
There will be a lot of departures, but in some respects it is a good sign of the clubs developing players good enough to move to Europe, which after all is the aim of the majority of players. It is unfortunate that some of the mature players have gone to India but that is what's going to happen especially in a time like this.

The league is in a good enough spot and will find its place. The comp has been treading water in part due to the conflict between the clubs and the ffa. But if you are to read about what is actually happening it is obvious that now is a changing time for the league and is heading in the right direction. All clubs have a good quality fan base and are getting a reasonable crowd in, especially considering the population and its spot in the sporting landscape.

The TV rights will be interesting to see, all I can hope is that a good fta partner can be found along with a strong all game provider. Ccm will be good to see stay on the coast but we will see.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda

I'd say the cap has to be tiny to help prevent the poorer clubs from going bankrupt, and then also keeping the league competitive by not having the larger clubs crush them all season. And I'm probably happier watching on TV than attending atm!

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd say the cap has to be tiny to help prevent the poorer clubs from going bankrupt, and then also keeping the league competitive by not having the larger clubs crush them all season. And I'm probably happier watching on TV than attending atm!
You have to spend to make money. When no one watches because there's no one here worth watching it'll bankrupt them anyway. Catch 22 I guess

I think people will give them a pass this year because of rona but really the league has been going downhill for years. People are clearly attending and watching less. They need to spend soon or make a drastic change soon

Sep 30, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory, Blackburn Rovers
when does the new season kick off? Still no official announcement. Was rumoured to be January. That’s suicide imo. Will be ok for January-March, but when the AFL/NRL seasons restart interest will only drop further

I thought the hold up was the pay deal. With that out of the way would've thought we'd see something soon.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
"Sources close to the playing group suggest the squad were shocked to hear about de Marigny's sacking on Monday. They had expected to enter pre-season training on October 15 with de Marigny at the helm.

Sources close to de Marigny suggested issues about recruitment, support staff, season planning and personal differences with other coaches had risen in recent months."

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Robinson about to be unvailed as Wanderes new coach, s**t about to go down in Newcastle! This league just keep delivering!

Robinson to be unveiled as Wanderers coach as Newcastle's future is balanced

The future of the Newcastle Jets hangs in the balance amid a property crisis that has sparked the imminent departure of coach Carl Robinson to A-League rivals Western Sydney Wanderers
Robinson is expected to be revealed by the Wanderers as early as Thursday, according to sources familiar with the club’s prosecution of the former Welsh international, who visited their Blacktown headquarters earlier this week following the sacking of Jean-Paul de Marigny
The Jets confirmed in a statement Wednesday that an “official approach” has been made for Robinson by Western Sydney, with the club allowing the two sides to start talks – despite GM Lawrie McKinna’s comments to the Newcastle Herald on Tuesday that he had heard nothing of it
Negotiations are essentially over but the question now is whether there will be a Jets squad in the next A-League season
McKinna has been on the lookout for a new owner for over a year with President Martin Lee no longer able to fund the club due to difficulties getting money out of China
Their financial problems are believed to have contributed to Robinson’s decision to leave the Jets, who only appointed him coach in February on a three-and-a-half-year contract and guided them to six wins and three draws on his 10 games at the helm so far

Robinson’s contract is believed to have an exit clause that allows him to move to Western Sydney
The Australian Football Federation board met, sources with knowledge of the situation said, on Wednesday to discuss the fate of Newcastle and continue due diligence on potential buyers waiting behind the scenes for decisions urgently needed given the club’s financial situation.
The Jets have a long list of creditors and could run the risk of collapsing without an immediate financial injection – but given the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on Australian sport, it is unlikely that the FFA have the ability to bail out the club if Lee had to surrender his A-League license.
Club owners are expected to assume full control of the competition in the coming weeks, with a legal separation from FFA expected to be finalized by the end of the year – but until that happens , it is not known who would hold the license of a club unable to continue in the A-League.
As the Herald revealed in August, some A-League owners have discussed pooling funds to buy out struggling clubs like the Jets, and this could be the first time such a plan is used.
The A-League is set to expand to 12 teams with the introduction of Macarthur FC next season, and the loss of one club would be a blow to the competition, which is only a year old on his current broadcast contract with Fox Sports

Last edited:
May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
Perth Glory is delighted to confirm a number of key appointments within the club's football department.

Three former Glory players have been handed coaching roles, with Steven McGarry named as the club's new A-League Assistant Coach, Ruben Zadkovich coming in to operate as both a second A-League Assistant Coach and PGFC Academy Head Coach and Chris Coyne being appointed PGFC Academy Under-20s Head Coach.

Terry McFlynn, meanwhile, moves from his previous role as Academy and W-League Manager to become Football Operations Manager and former Lead Skills Development Coach & Head of Academy Performance Analysis, Jesse Hesford, has a new position as Head of First Team Performance Analysis.

The club can also confirm that Jason Weber has been appointed as its new Strength and Conditioning Coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back