A-League 2020/21 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Ftbl are calling lee a former owner and has been said that ffa are unlikely to be able to bank roll the club. Unless a new owner or the other 11 club are able to come together, it doesn't look pretty.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
If the FFA are smart, they would take over the next TV rights deal to Optus Sport, be good to tie it in with the J League, and of course Premier League and Champions League etc

Optus Sports is the home for eurosnobs! I can assure you the A-League will rate worse on Optus than it will on Foxtel! as well as alienate a hell of a lot of fans!

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Wsw are saying the aleague and wleague will start in the 27th of December. Aleague will end in June (23 week, 161 game comp), wleague (gf in April, 57 games)

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
The start of the season should go ok, but I think once the NRL/AFL kick off at the end of March interest will start to dwindle. Imo it has to be a summer league, it can’t compete with the big 2
Unfortunately you are in the minority, especially for those who are involved in the organisation. I think the January to June window is a good in-between; if it was march to September it would be more problematic. There was enough interest with the restart (although the games were all over the place)

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victorian clubs on the road early
Marco Monteverde, NCA NewsWire

VICTORIA could be starved of matches in the early stages of the A-League season to avoid games being played in near-empty stadiums.
As the majority of A-League clubs return to training ahead of the December 27 season start, Football Federation Australia is playing a waiting game with confirmation of fixtures due to different COVID-19-enforced restrictions in each state.
One scenario that Melbourne City, Melbourne Victory and Western United are bracing themselves for is having to play several away games in the opening weeks of the season due to severe restrictions on crowd numbers in Victoria.
With more people allowed to watch games in the rest of Australia, City, Victory and United face several weeks on the road.
And while they hope to be able return to Victoria after each match, City, Victory and United may have to travel back and forth on the days of games when flying in and out of Brisbane, Sydney and Adelaide.
Playing a host of away games early would ensure all the Victorian derbies involving City, Victory and United would be contested in front of bigger crowds later in the season.
similars

United returned to training on Monday, with CEO Chris Pehlivanis saying the was following “professional sports restrictions” put in place by the government.
City have been training for a fortnight, with the whole squad being able to train together but players’ arrivals being stagnated to ensure dressing rooms are not over populated.
Western Sydney Wanderers returned to training under new coach Carl Robinson on Monday, with players having their temperatures checked on arrival.
“It’s like your first day at school,” Robinson said.
“Lots of new faces, lots of happy faces, which is good, and ready to get going.”
Brisbane Roar started training at their new Gold Coast base on Monday, with captain Tom Aldred saying COVID-19 had made the situation “challenging” in the closing stages of last season.
However, Aldred was adamant the Roar had built a “foundation” to succeed in the new season.
Meanwhile, competition newcomers Macarthur FC have signed Frenchman Loïc Puyo.
The 31-year-old midfielder played for SCO Angers in the French top flight.
Puyo will start training with Macarthur when his two-week hotel quarantine period ends.
“To be part a new club and join the inaugural squad is something I never thought I would have the opportunity to do,” Puyo said.
“I’m looking forward to the challenge and playing in the A-League for the Bulls.”
Macarthur coach Ante Milicic said: “(Puyo) has strong composure on the ball, very technically sound and good range in passing. He will be an excellent fit in the way we want to play our football.”

Zidane98 Doesn't look like any matches in Victoria for some time unfortunately mate.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg

VICTORIA could be starved of matches in the early stages of the A-League season to avoid games being played in near-empty stadiums.
As the majority of A-League clubs return to training ahead of the December 27 season start, Football Federation Australia is playing a waiting game with confirmation of fixtures due to different COVID-19-enforced restrictions in each state.
One scenario that Melbourne City, Melbourne Victory and Western United are bracing themselves for is having to play several away games in the opening weeks of the season due to severe restrictions on crowd numbers in Victoria.
With more people allowed to watch games in the rest of Australia, City, Victory and United face several weeks on the road.
And while they hope to be able return to Victoria after each match, City, Victory and United may have to travel back and forth on the days of games when flying in and out of Brisbane, Sydney and Adelaide.
Playing a host of away games early would ensure all the Victorian derbies involving City, Victory and United would be contested in front of bigger crowds later in the season.
similars

United returned to training on Monday, with CEO Chris Pehlivanis saying the was following “professional sports restrictions” put in place by the government.
City have been training for a fortnight, with the whole squad being able to train together but players’ arrivals being stagnated to ensure dressing rooms are not over populated.
Western Sydney Wanderers returned to training under new coach Carl Robinson on Monday, with players having their temperatures checked on arrival.
“Lots of new faces, lots of happy faces, which is good, and ready to get going.”
Brisbane Roar started training at their new Gold Coast base on Monday, with captain Tom Aldred saying COVID-19 had made the situation “challenging” in the closing stages of last season.
However, Aldred was adamant the Roar had built a “foundation” to succeed in the new season.
Puyo will start training with Macarthur when his two-week hotel quarantine period ends.
“To be part a new club and join the inaugural squad is something I never thought I would have the opportunity to do,” Puyo said.
“I’m looking forward to the challenge and playing in the A-League for the Bulls.”
Macarthur coach Ante Milicic said: “(Puyo) has strong composure on the ball, very technically sound and good range in passing. He will be an excellent fit in the way we want to play our football.”

Zidane98 Doesn't look like any matches in Victoria for some time unfortunately mate.

Im happy with that. Any reason why we cant play a few games in Albury? Would be a fun road trip.

Last edited by a moderator:

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
More sh*t hitting the fan up at Newcastle.

I don't blame either of them for wanting out (or Robinson for that matter). No money, owner or coach. Newcastle are saying an owner is able to take over soon, but the fox football podcast said that the ffa people are saying it will be much longer then that (and that's if one of these multiple owners are acceptable)

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

similars

Suits me fine as a City fan. We have had a good record on the road last season.

I actually missing going to Melbourne City/A League games more than Carlton and AFL fixtures these days, better atmosphere and far less hooligans and s**t fights (despite what the mainstream media narrative tells you, the A League is a far more fan friendly league to attend to than any other footy code in Australia)

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Suits me fine as a City fan. We have had a good record on the road last season.

I actually missing going to Melbourne City/A League games more than Carlton and AFL fixtures these days, better atmosphere and far less hooligans and sh*t fights (despite what the mainstream media narrative tells you, the A League is a far more fan friendly league to attend to than any other footy code in Australia)

Well it would be at a City game that’s for sure. #Greenseatunited 😉

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Dolphins stadium is set to be the full time home of the roar. Probably would need to pick up some infrastructure like buses to assist fans from the other side of the city. Also could see a split of games at different grounds of a similar size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back