Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins

It’s a shame, I didn’t think Hope copped that much abuse on socials apart from the usual trolls (that I read). Even so proves that mentally some players just can’t switch off or look away. He’s only human I guess.

Wish him all the best for what the future holds for him.

JezzasOnTheAsphalt

Club Legend
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood

It’s a shame, I didn’t think Hope copped that much abuse on socials apart from the usual trolls (that I read). Even so proves that mentally some players just can’t switch off or look away. He’s only human I guess.

Wish him all the best for what the future holds for him.

No winners out of this story. The predictable ‘just delete your accounts’ brigade that are commenting on it already have no idea that while that might be a good strategy for some, it isn’t always simply enough to do it and recapture the passion. Ignoring it just masks yourself from further abuse, there’s still the issue of dealing with the abuse that you’ve already received and the anxiety of thinking about what people could be saying about you while living in that ignorance.

I hope it can humanise athletes somewhat and leads to better outcomes in future, but I also don’t see Sokkah Twitter changing much.

HulkSmash

Just a bit outside...
Jan 7, 2020
Rent-free in your head
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NK, NUJ, SK, ST, NSWW, NSWP, MUFC
Something other clubs may be looking to do to cut costs in the next few years - Jets memberships are all digital, no physical items but can buy members only merchandise (apparently).

At the very least give us the option to get a lanyard and card, if only to add to the collection. Also, missing the member's sticker too - need a sticker for the car. ;)

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Something other clubs may be looking to do to cut costs in the next few years - Jets memberships are all digital, no physical items but can buy members only merchandise (apparently).

At the very least give us the option to get a lanyard and card, if only to add to the collection. Also, missing the member's sticker too - need a sticker for the car. ;)

How does all digital work? Do you get like a virtual card on your phone that you scan in at the turnstiles?

How does all digital work? Do you get like a virtual card on your phone that you scan in at the turnstiles?

I would assume so. It would be like the footy this season where everyone just had a digital ticket on their phone and got the barcode scanned at the gate.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide

Good idea. No need for paper tickets anymore but there's also no need for ticketek really and they're still around.

The league should control tickets itself, halve the $4.95 "booking fee" from ticketek and pocket that money. Its mostly automated, but would need initial investment which is something power brokers wont do. Invest

Sep 1, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Glory
Screenshot_20201109-180523_Chrome.jpg

Interesting. Sports streaming on Stan could be a potential future home for the A-League, perhaps.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
View attachment 1007353
Interesting. Sports streaming on Stan could be a potential future home for the A-League, perhaps.
Imo it would have to be a similar deal that includes proper fta game/s each week. I'm not sure if stan would like having another commercial fta channel partnering with them (but I could be wrong); also not sure if there would be fta space on a Friday or Saturday evening (the prime time), especially in a winter season.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
To many streaming services who’s paying for all these? eventually it’s gonna get to much and most of us will just pirate everything including live sport!
Correct.

Netflix came along and it was great with its convenience. Now there's 10's of them so it's back to being easier to torrent what you want

Sports will go the same way. It was great being bundled in one + FTA, now it's being splintered too much

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Correct.

Netflix came along and it was great with its convenience. Now there's 10's of them so it's back to being easier to torrent what you want

Sports will go the same way. It was great being bundled in one + FTA, now it's being splintered too much

I don’t subscribe to any of these services and I still get to watch what I want when I want, if you know what I mean ;)

Live sport is and will be no different, there is always a way!

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Correct.

I wouldn't have optus sport if I didn't get it for free. There will be a couple of sport ones in the market (especially here). I guess its what sport an individual wants and what each platform offers (and the deals that can be arranged)

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Wonder if they're holding out on announcing the fixture due to the improving covid situation.

Victory should be able to have some fans at games and Phoenix shouldn't have to play their games here either if things continue around the country.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Wonder if they're holding out on announcing the fixture due to the improving covid situation.

Victory should be able to have some fans at games and Phoenix shouldn't have to play their games here either if things continue around the country.
From the nix point of view even if the bubble is fully in place (i think it may only be into nsw and the nt at this stage) it would be dependent on the financial costs of moving the team back.

Draw shouldn't be too far off now, I would put its release in the last week of November or the first of December. W-League was only just confirmed to stick with the same teams from last year (nix were being considered but the allowance for nz players which the men have was not permitted as,according to the ffa, the time line to ask the clubs and pfa etc was too short.

Last edited by a moderator:

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know ill be "labeled" for this but running the wleague this year is a terrible financial decision for a league near crisis. It loses money, the government had to pay fox sports to show the women's world cup as theres no money in it. Now a struggling league is paying salaries, match payments, referees, flights, hub costs for something that isnt profitable? The negative PR you'd get for canceling a year would last 2 weeks before people moved on. Better than a lot of lost money?

Anyone know if this is subsidised or grants from government? Economically this just isnt smart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back