A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Western United's Membership is worse imo! Who's gonna pay $244 for a gypsy team who still don't know where some of their matches are gonna be played? WU should be giving away memberships not selling them.
Is there a gmhba pack? Would be interesting to see the price per game for the venue.

Western United's Membership is worse imo! Who's gonna pay $244 for a gypsy team who still don't know where some of their matches are gonna be played? WU should be giving away memberships not selling them.

They are. I saw something before about them giving away 2k 3 game memberships to junior clubs or something.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
They are. I saw something before about them giving away 2k 3 game memberships to junior clubs or something.

A 7 game GA membership is $131 ($18.7/game), 3 game GA $37 ($12.3/game) you also get a gym towle as part of your membership.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon

Independence from FA?

Second division?

Expansion?

All three?

Independence has apparently already occurred. It feels like a sponsorship or broadcast deal. maybe second division,but why would the wleague (and clubs) post about it when the second division would be fa managed.

Independence has apparently already occurred. It feels like a sponsorship or broadcast deal. maybe second division,but why would the wleague (and clubs) post about it when the second division would be fa managed.

"Game changing" doesn't seem to suggest sponsorship. Adelaide (and presumably other clubs) have also tweeted about it regarding both A-League and W-League, so second division seems quite likely, if it's occurring across both mens and women.

netslave

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006

OMG. So they've literally just given a shiny new name to something that we knew was happening anyway.

And peak Australian football to announce it at 4pm on New Year's Eve as well.

133817960_10159629585995769_510665630496061241_n.jpg

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I can guess what it means but after reading it, I really have no idea. What a vague press releases full of a nothing words.
It means not much. All its saying is giving an official name to the independent leagues and the fa washing its hands and saying we are the ones responsible for the second division. Its nothing new, just making it all official (the clubs have been in charge for 6 months, especially on the commercial side)

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Well sooner we get normal football things like transfer fees the better.
The wsw poaching contracted players was embarrassing
Its all going to happen quickly now, I would say most of the things will be up and running in time for next season.

Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Atalanta B.C
Its all going to happen quickly now, I would say most of the things will be up and running in time for next season.
Let's hope so, been a tough off season for the league even with the split.
Between the schedule getting upheaved and mariners and jets struggling to find new owners.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Full statement/article from the FA/A-league.

Australian Professional Leagues to be unbundled from Football Australia
Updated: 30 mins ago
Football Australia and the newly formed Australian Professional Leagues (APL) today announced that terms have been agreed to ‘unbundle’ the A-League, Westfield W-League and Y-League (‘Professional Leagues’) from Football Australia. As part of the unbundling, the APL will also obtain the exclusive right to use the intellectual property rights associated with the E-League brand.
Paul Lederer, Chair of the APL said:

“This is an historic moment for the future of football in Australia – for the fan, for the player, for the whole game.
“It’s now time to earn and deliver the future our game deserves.
“The handbrake on the game is off; owners can finally invest in what they own and create value for the entire footballing ecosystem.
“Players can plan their careers in Australian football, fans can reconnect with the game that they love, and clubs can create meaningful moments for the whole Australian Football Family.”
Chris Nikou, Chair of Football Australia said:
“There is unprecedented unity amongst football’s key stakeholders with the Football Australia, Clubs, and the Members of Football Australia, being the group making up the NLWG, that paved the way to the unbundling of the A-League, W-League and Y-League from Football Australia.
“Football Australia will now focus its energies and resources on the regulation of the professional game, national teams, grassroots and the overall strategic direction of the game as outlined in the XI Principles for the future of Australian Football, the new 15-year vision for the sport and strategic agenda.”
“All parties are committed to ongoing cooperation and collaboration and we look forward to working closely with the APL this season as we transition to the new model, and more broadly, the future of professional football in Australia.”

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting article on the independence of the leagues. Some of the issues mentioned do make sense, and hopefully the fa will be pretty acomadating with what the clubs want to do, and the money to the fa obviously makes a lot of sense. Also the association made up of npl clubs interested in the second division is making an announcement on Friday.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
did i miss something all next weeks figures are called off in nsw an vic?
I haven't heard anything about that. Roar are promoting the home game against victory on the 10th and the wleague are playing a game in vic today. The only issue that would exist are the games in vic due to the border restrictions, with the nsw based clubs playing each other. If anything they would play in front of no fans.

littlegg

Senior List
Aug 8, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I haven't heard anything about that. Roar are promoting the home game against victory on the 10th and the wleague are playing a game in vic today. The only issue that would exist are the games in vic due to the border restrictions, with the nsw based clubs playing each other. If anything they would play in front of no fans.

so vic/nsw games are called off next week, yet they are promoting the 17th wonder what changes if the borders are still lockdown? i''m stumped on what's going on haha

Back