A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm all for Cahill playing in the A-League but changing the rules to allow this to happen is bull$hit. City could've dropped a marquee to make way for him. Classic case of having your cake and eating it. Unfortunately it's to the detriment of the other clubs

well, suppose you could argue that all other 9 clubs can also sign a 3rd year long "guest marquee" too. So, not really detriment. Sydney and Victory have the coin to go out and do this if they want.

well, suppose you could argue that all other 9 clubs can also sign a 3rd year long "guest marquee" too. So, not really detriment. Sydney and Victory have the coin to go out and do this if they want.
So basically its for the big clubs. It can be spun anyway they like but the FFA have buckled to CFGs requests. They did it with Brattan and Caceras too.

Also it proves what we all thought and Cahill is all about the coin.

So basically its for the big clubs. It can be spun anyway they like but the FFA have buckled to CFGs requests. They did it with Brattan and Caceras too.

the whole notion of any of the marquee spots is for the big clubs. CCM use it to sign Zwaansjwik

Cahill is about $$$$, everyone knows that. Massive PR machine for his brand.
As long as he can grow the league and up the TV rights and crowds, dont care.

Cahill is about $$$$, everyone knows that. Massive PR machine for his brand.
As long as he can grow the league and up the TV rights and crowds, dont care.

Yeah, and that's why I don't have a massive problem with it either. Even if City have a contrived advantage for 1 season, we're still trying to build a league, so we have to take a long view. If Cahill adds a few digits to the tv money and crowd figures, it's probably worth copping said contrived advantage for a season.

You'd prefer it if it weren't consistently the same club have rules bent and changed for them, but in the words of Mehmet Durakovic... "what are you gonna do?"

Sure, "suppose". But we all know it's unlikely to happen. From this "magical marquee fund" the FFA have pulled out of a hat how much is going to Cahill? Are they making sure there's an even spread for this fund to be allocated across the comp? Or is it all bull$hit to look after one area of the market?
As I said, City could've made room for Cahill without needing an extra marquee position, make the hard decisions.....but no.

Sure, "suppose". But we all know it's unlikely to happen. From this "magical marquee fund" the FFA have pulled out of a hat how much is going to Cahill? Are they making sure there's an even spread for this fund to be allocated across the comp? Or is it all bull$hit to look after one area of the market?
As I said, City could've made room for Cahill without needing an extra marquee position, make the hard decisions.....but no.
Newcastle signed Heskey
CCM signed Luis Garcia (same age as Cahill at the time)
The A-League clubs can do it, they just dont want to. It frustrates me so much that Victory havent had the balls to go out and sign a massive crowd puller.

Can't see the other 9 clubs complaining if in 12 months time, the "Cahill effect" has generated larger crowd numbers and $$ for their home games and increased TV rights $$.

Time to take a longer view on whats good for the game.

I hope all Football and A-League followers in this country can look at these recent developments from an overall perspective and not just think about their own clubs they follow.

I want Football in the country to survive and blossom. This is so largely dependent on the next TV deal. A Cahill type signing will do wonders for this. If it means City get a "third" marquee, then big deal. Cahill won't win them the league anyway.

But this could be big for the interest in the A-League. Cahill might just be the catalyst for converting casual fans into members. If he fails, then oh well who cares, its CFG's money to lose.

I understand what your saying but in reference to the past these ventures are usually only short term gains rather then long term gains.

Look at when Kewell signed for Victory or Delpiero at Sydney, Heskey at Newcastle and Villa at City all had short term gains with crowds, TV ratings and Facebook likes. But really I haven't seen the league attendance, TV ratings or interest grow from it, at best it stagnated.

The Cahill experiment will be the same you'll see a rise in interest in crowds and TV rating etc.. but once the gloss wears off its back to the normal hardcore dedicate fans that keep the league's interest going not the theater goers which is what mostly Cahill will bring.

I'll say this about Cahill though, he may be able to change and increase interest in the sport at grassroots level through highlighting and promoting his academy's which is what he has been wanting to contribute in Australia.

Apart from that, the only interest that will be increase is Brand Cahill not Brand A-league.

Last edited:
Newcastle signed Heskey
CCM signed Luis Garcia (same age as Cahill at the time)
The A-League clubs can do it, they just dont want to. It frustrates me so much that Victory havent had the balls to go out and sign a massive crowd puller.

Can't see the other 9 clubs complaining if in 12 months time, the "Cahill effect" has generated larger crowd numbers and $$ for their home games and increased TV rights $$.

Time to take a longer view on whats good for the game.

Do Victory really need a crowd Puller??

Victory have a big enough loyal fan base that doesn't need to be increased by theater goers who have no idea about the sport or the club and are just there to support one player. Do you remember the Kewell experiment? that was a disaster for Victory and in all honesty it didn't increaed our fan base.
Ange coming the next year increased our crowds more then Kewell. shows what the real fans wanted success on the park not gimmicks.

I can understand City wanting it and going that way in order to increase its fan base and they may find a few that latch on and stick around after the Cahilll experiment is over.

Good luck to them if that's the case but to me and my experience watching the league the past 11 years it hasn't been and its not the way to increase dedicated fans for the clubs and the league as a whole.

Last edited:
Do Victory really need a crowd Puller??

Victory have a big enough loyal fan base that doesn't need to be increased by theater goers who have no idea about the sport or the club and are just there to support one player. Do you remember the Kewell experiment? that was a disaster for Victory and in all honesty it didn't increaed our fan base.
Ange coming the next year increased our crowds more the Kewell. shows what the real fans wanted success on the park not gimmicks.

I can understand City wanting it and going that way in order to increase its fan base and they may find a few that latch on and stick around after the Cahilll experiment is over.

Good luck to them if that's the case but to me and my experience watching the league the past 11 years it hasn't been and its not the way to increase dedicated fans for the clubs and the league as a whole.
Regular Season Average (Excludes Finals)
upload_2016-6-29_12-29-10.png
Victory hasn't really been able to capitalise on their large supporter base. The crowds are good, best in the league, but not really growing enough, if at all.
The numbers above include derbies.

View attachment 261515
Victory hasn't really been able to capitalise on their large supporter base. The crowds are good, best in the league, but not really growing enough, if at all.

And what makes you think a Gimmick marquee will increase it? remembering we have already tried once and it failed.

Victory should be continuing it's hardwork within the community, continuing it's presence in the media in a saturated Melbourne sports market as well as continuing its success on the field should be enough to increasing its supporter base.

Won't be long till we will be able to attract 30k members, It already has over 100 Business connections throughout Australia and Asian markets. making them the envy of some AFL clubs *cough* *cough* Collingwood, we are the only A-league club that has constantly generate a profit. By far the biggest soccer club in the country.

All without any Gimmicky Marquees to disrupt it.

View attachment 261515

Yet their membership numbers - guaranteed money in the bank - continue to increase every years.

The reality is that Victory are in a completely different boat to everyone else, sans maybe the Wanderers. They can focus entirely on success, they don't have to worry about gimmicks - they can't fit any more people into AAMI park as it is.

And what makes you think a Gimmick marquee will increase it? remembering we have already tried once and it failed.

Victory should be continuing it's hardwork within the community, continuing it's presence in the media in a saturated Melbourne sports market as well as continuing its success on the field should be enough to increasing its supporter base.

Won't be long till we will be able to attract 30k members, It already has over 100 Business connections throughout Australia and Asian markets. making them the envy of some AFL clubs *cough* *cough* Collingwood, we are the only A-league club that has constantly generate a profit. By far the biggest soccer club in the country.

All without any Gimmicky Marquees to disrupt it.
Yet their membership numbers - guaranteed money in the bank - continue to increase every years.

The reality is that Victory are in a completely different boat to everyone else, sans maybe the Wanderers. They can focus entirely on success, they don't have to worry about gimmicks - they can't fit any more people into AAMI park as it is.
Biggest and best club in the A-League on all fronts.

Club has to be aiming to be selling out Etihad on a regular basis, not AAMI.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's very difficult in the current climate mate not even buying Messi will achieve that!

You have to remember the fronts that Victory are fighting against, considering what they've had to put up with in this town at times, I am amazed they are as big as they are in just over eleven years! let alone thinking of being able to constantly sell out Etihad.
One day who knows through, atm can't see it happening.

Last edited:
That's very difficult in the current climate mate not even buying Messi will achieve that!

You have to remember the fronts that Victory are fighting against, considering what they've had to put up with in this town at times, I am amazed they are as big as they are in just over eleven years! let alone thinking of being able to constantly sell out Etihad.
One day who know through, atm can't see it happening.

It'll happen... it just needs old man Rupert to die and a few w***ers at the Hun & Ch7 to lose rightly lose their jobs first.

I know the pricing structure is so different as to perhaps be irrelevant - but I'm fairly sure that every game Victory played at Etihad last season had a larger crowd than the Socceroos got vs Greece.

I guess something that is more relevant is that Docklands isn't just hated by a lot of AFL fans... even when the AAMI Park field went to s**t after the 2 concerts there in December (which reached it's tipping point 2 weeks ago at the rugby), there were still plenty of Victory fans bitching about the notion of playing finals at Etihad.

I think Etihad provides a bigger challenge than just finding 50,000 people in Melbourne who want to go watch the Victory.

Vukovic and Ibini to Sydney. I would have thought Vuka to WSW would be better for his football since Janjetovic is number 1 but apparently his kid needs some sort of transplant and a lot of his family is based in Sydney so good luck to him. Ibini back to Sydney is big for them but only on loan.

Vukovic and Ibini to Sydney. I would have thought Vuka to WSW would be better for his football since Janjetovic is number 1 but apparently his kid needs some sort of transplant and a lot of his family is based in Sydney so good luck to him. Ibini back to Sydney is big for them but only on loan.
Multi organ I believe. He was back and forth to Sydney all last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back