A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

JezzasOnTheAsphalt

Club Legend
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hopefully Sagey pulls out now. If this is news to him, alarm bells would surely be going off.

Yeah and if for some reason he still wants to go through with it there’s no chance the FFA are gonna be approving it now.

Wonder if he stays on as chairman though and tries to become a football group crypto king himself now.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Its kinda funny that the BBL and ALeague have on the face of it suffered from a too long a season

A-League is just to repetitive over to long of a period, need to get to 14 teams play each other twice over 26 rounds plus finals and it won't seem so long.
The BBL on the other hand is just a piss take of a competition designed for TV and people with short attention spans.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
A League is a professional league not a side show, needs to be a full length so we can create careers and have players commit to the league. Hopefully changes to salary cap, relegation, management of the league etc which are expected to occur take place sooner rather than later.
League in transitional phase atm and it shows.

The number of games this season barley make the requirement for qualification in the ACL (they have to count finals and, i think, Ffa cup games to qualify). Will be god to have the Macarthur in next season to make it even, and for the owners to have proper power over the league (event though it is believed that they may not officially get control until after the current rights as there are thoughts that fox sports may use the change of ownership as a get out clause, which might not be a bad thing for the league)

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
A-League is just to repetitive over to long of a period, need to get to 14 teams play each other twice over 26 rounds plus finals and it won't seem so long.
The BBL on the other hand is just a piss take of a competition designed for TV and people with short attention spans.

100%

And we get pro relegation and every game matters

1st to 4th fighting it out to come 1st

The next 6 fighting for finals

The bottom 4 to stay out of relegation.

With pro rel it also means when an owner gives up the club and they tumble they will automatically have a replacement and we don’t have a 5 min build like the Wanderers and Nix.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
100%

And we get pro relegation and every game matters

1st to 4th fighting it out to come 1st

The next 6 fighting for finals

The bottom 4 to stay out of relegation.

With pro rel it also means when an owner gives up the club and they tumble they will automatically have a replacement and we don’t have a 5 min build like the Wanderers and Nix.

I would love a pro/rel ecosystem but how it’s funded and implemented remains to be seen. Get a second national division running first then slowly integrate the pro/rel.

But don’t expect it to happen overnight, this is still a good 15, 20+ years away before we get a fully intergraded pro/reg system imo.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I would love a pro/rel ecosystem but how it’s funded and implemented remains to be seen. Get a second national division running first then slowly integrate the pro/rel.

But don’t expect it to happen overnight, this is still a good 15, 20+ years away before we get a fully intergraded pro/reg system imo.

They seem to be doing it smartly and not listening to the Sth Now Now Now fans.

Making sure they get it right.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Someone found this tidbit about the Mariners
IMG_0161.JPG

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

If I was a city fan I wouldn’t be laughing. They haven’t kicked a ball yet but aren’t sharing a ground with any big brother and has growing members and big sponsors.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
If I was a city fan I wouldn’t be laughing. They haven’t kicked a ball yet aren’t sharing a ground with any big brother and has growing members and big sponsors.

Meh, who needs sponsors when you are owned by the City Footy Group 👍👍👍

Anyhow it's more of an indictment of how badly the FFA has been running the A and W Leagues of late. One cluster fudge after another.

And people want promotion/relegation put in sooner rather than later, the idiots running the game couldn't run a chook raffle.

SMFCMike might be an agitator and crank, but he ain't wrong about the clowns running the FFA since it was reformed from Soccer Australia

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Except he conveniently forgets it was worse as Soccer Australia and the NSL

Yeah, from all reports the league was falling apart and had worse tv coverage than we have now, and that is saying something. Pro/rel, even though it would be great to have, is not going to be successful until the current 1st and potential 2nd divisions are set up in a manner that works. I would love to see some of the old nsl clubs back and it would be very interesting to see how it works, but it wont be happening for at least 5-10 years.

I am half surprised by the mariners not putting the money in (wont bode well for there hope for a wleague team if they can barley pay for the men’s side)

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
A league is going to be run independently of FFA and run by clubs so thats why there's optimism regarding policy, salary cap etc.
Macarthur has a few things going for it but 'Western United' already looking like a shocking decision.

Far too early to tell with WUFC, although I think they will make it eventually, once their new stadium is built

Imo, the biggest mistake was getting rid of North Queensland Fury, yes GCU was a mistake and tjey had to go, but the Fury had respectable crowds and a growing and passionate fanbase up there
Also I think it's time Adelaide (a town with a proud football tradition) got a 2nd team and Derby.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
The Perth deal is officially not going to happen

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Credit to Sage for his transparency the whole way through. Told the media his plans from the start, maybe his hand was forced but either way right decision in the end.

Are Perth fans happy that Sage is staying put (for now) ?

Are Perth fans happy that Sage is staying put (for now) ?

Yes. I have (for the most part) always been happy with him. He is passionate about the club and has the best interests of the club at the forefront of all decisions he makes. He was always staying on as chairman anyway so it is not like he was going anywhere.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
He was never going anywhere, all he has said for the deal is that he wants a partner to put more money into the squad (And for him to loose less money on it). Even with this LFE deal he would just be in control of both his and the companies money (and potentially any other clubs that they bought).

He did begin to walk back his opinion and stage of the deal almost as soon as he touched down in London.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

What an absolute shambles this has all been talk about peak A-League moments lol

What I find amazing is those clowns out there (mainly on Facebook and Twitter) who want Wellington kicked out of the A League, esp after last year's exodus, when the Nix are one of the most well run and stable clubs at the moment..

The unexpected success of Welly has probably been the one saving grace in an otherwise mainly tedious and uninspiring season of The A League..

Back