A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

:(

Mine has auto renewed but I finally have convinced some mates to join so I'll be leaving the confines of my reserved seat and joining in with one of the active areas I think.
Yeah unforntunately I lost my best mate who I went with for years. It's still enjoyable flying solo at times but not the same.

Riley McGree is not a Utd (adelaide).

Adelaide bought him from club brugge after CB received him from Adelaide. But CB loaned him to Newcastle (Jets) and then to melb city. So he was never a Bruggian per se.
That happens a lot though? Lots of players never play for their club or basically never even appear at the parent club. Maybe to sign the contract. It's that unique.

Bloke's got a Wikipedia as long as Ian Wright's and he can't even buy a Bud in Boulder. Ooph.

What are peoples thoughts on the removal of the rules allowing clubs to now, basically, take back any ties to their original ethnic origins?

Will South Melbourne rebrand as the Hellas, Melbourne Knights to Croatia? etc etc.

I like them being able to do as they choose and for anyone who has been involved with some of these "ethnic" clubs the fact they couldn't have their origins in their name of crest didn't change a thing about the club or how they operated. I've played for a couple of Greek clubs, Macedonian, Croatian and English clubs before. All of the above were great with the exception of one club who I trained for once and only once as it was clear I wasn't wanted due to my ethnicity (even though I'd come from a grade above).

I don't think changing back will change the way they are run. A good club is a good club, regardless of what they call themselves. My only issue is if we get a second division in twenty years do we want Melbourne, Sydney, Gwelup Croatia etc etc in one league? Be kind of weird, right?

GALLOP GONE!!!!

yep but not until end of the year! Should be immediately.

David Gallop to stand down as FFA CEO on 31 December 2019

The Chairman of Football Federation Australia (FFA) Chris Nikou today announced that David Gallop AM had given notice of his intention to stand down from the role of Chief Executive Officer and agreed to depart FFA on 31 December 2019.
The FFA board has thanked David for his significant contribution to FFA and the game and for signalling his intention early, allowing for there to be a considered search to find a suitable candidate for what will be a reshaped role in 2020.
Chris Nikou said: “David has provided strong and distinguished leadership over a long period and particularly through a difficult last few years for FFA as we have managed the governance and structural changes around the game. Working together for the next six months, we will continue to reposition FFA for ongoing success. While he will be with us for some time yet, David will leave us with our respect and sincerest best wishes for continued success in the next stage of his career.”
“The timing of David’s decision is predicated on the recent progress of the New Leagues Working Group with regards to determining the future governance model for Australia’s Professional Football Leagues and FFA,” Mr Nikou said.
David Gallop said: “It has been an honour to lead FFA for the last seven years. Football is the true world game and many Australians from all backgrounds want to see it grow bigger and stronger in the decades to come. From the Caltex Socceroos and the Westfield Matildas to the vast participation base of men, women, boys and girls who love to kick a football there are so many wonderful ways to enjoy the sport.”

“With the NLWG recommendations to bring about fundamental changes to Australia’s professional competitions – the Hyundai A-League, Westfield W-League and Foxtel Y-League (the Leagues) and FFA, the chief executive’s role as it currently exists will be a very different, narrower role. It makes sense for everyone to have time to openly determine what that new role and new leadership looks like. “
“It has been very satisfying to be part of so many important moments including the introduction of the FFA Cup, winning the AFC Asian Cup, participating in the FIFA Women’s World Cup & FIFA World Cups, securing a record six-year media rights deal with Fox Sports, strengthening the financial aspects of women’s football, adding expansion teams to the Hyundai A-League and growing the huge participation base of the game.”
“There are challenges given the expectations that are created by the global mirror that is held up to the game in this country’s competitive sporting landscape, but enormous growth opportunities are available if the stakeholders are united.”
“My aim is to ensure there is a seamless transition, with minimal interruption to the good work of the very many people in the Member Federations, the Leagues, the NPL and community clubs who work so hard to deliver on the game’s extensive agenda.”
“I extend my sincere thanks to Chris and the current board as well as the past chairmen and board members who gave me the opportunity to lead a wonderful team of talented, passionate and dedicated people at FFA.”
“There is plenty of work to be done including the finalisation of our bid to host the FIFA Women’s World Cup in 2023. It would be fantastic on so many levels if Australia could secure such a huge football tournament and world event.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dave Davout on sen now

yeah listening, interesting to know that DD wasn't to suprised it happen seems he knew its been in the works for a while, I didn't see it coming to be honest, not now anyway.

What are peoples thoughts on the removal of the rules allowing clubs to now, basically, take back any ties to their original ethnic origins?

Will South Melbourne rebrand as the Hellas, Melbourne Knights to Croatia? etc etc.

I like them being able to do as they choose and for anyone who has been involved with some of these "ethnic" clubs the fact they couldn't have their origins in their name of crest didn't change a thing about the club or how they operated. I've played for a couple of Greek clubs, Macedonian, Croatian and English clubs before. All of the above were great with the exception of one club who I trained for once and only once as it was clear I wasn't wanted due to my ethnicity (even though I'd come from a grade above).

I don't think changing back will change the way they are run. A good club is a good club, regardless of what they call themselves. My only issue is if we get a second division in twenty years do we want Melbourne, Sydney, Gwelup Croatia etc etc in one league? Be kind of weird, right?
Sydney United already asked whether they should revert back to 'Croatia' as soon as the NCIP was pronounced dead.

As a person with ties to these kinds of clubs, I like it.

I also hate it.

You're going to lose a lot of identity if you revert back to your nationalist nicknames... Especially if you're a 'Croatia' team. Adelaide Raiders, Sydney United 58, Melbourne Knights, Gwelup could all revert back to 'Croatia' (like you mentioned). Also adds the initial patriotism and tensions that we lost through getting rid of the 'Makedonija's V 'Alexander's/'Hellas's.

I'm scared, because I like the inclusiveness, but even though you're sticking up for these traditional clubs craigos, they'll start to divide as soon as the nations flags start coming back out and the fighting begins.

Just saying - revert back, and say goodbye to a chance at second division football.
WOW! about time!

And he leaves on my birthday, what a present!

Last edited:
An independent A League and the removal of arguably the worst CEO in the history of the game. Starting to feel positive about the sport in this country again for the first time in a few years.

He never, ever, stood for the fans and treated us like criminals. So happy to see the back of this leach.

Sydney United already asked whether they should revert back to 'Croatia' as soon as the NCIP was pronounced dead.

I also hate it.

You're going to lose a lot of identity if you revert back to your nationalist nicknames... Especially if you're a 'Croatia' team. Adelaide Raiders, Sydney United 58, Melbourne Knights, Gwelup could all revert back to 'Croatia' (like you mentioned). Also adds the initial patriotism and tensions that we lost through getting rid of the 'Makedonija's V 'Alexander's/'Hellas's.

I'm scared, because I like the inclusiveness, but even though you're sticking up for these traditional clubs craigos, they'll start to divide as soon as the nations flags start coming back out and the fighting begins.

Just saying - revert back, and say goodbye to a chance at second division football.

I kind of agree in regards to the second division comment, maybe the fine print in the new legislation will be along the lines of having to remove any ties of origin from the club if/when a second division is created.

It's a different time than it was when these clubs operated, the guys who are migrants from these countries would be getting on now and most of the younger guys are all Australian born. Still, it's only going to take one incident to cause massive bad press for the game.

I also hate it.

Watching Gwelup, Western Knights etc these days it's not exactly a team full of Vinkos and Antes. It's very multicultural. A lot of that nationalism will die out as time goes by. I still refer to Perth as Italia etc. It's what they were founded as and it's part of their DNA. Not sure what the issue is. I know the Melbourne Knights still kick off now and then but not as many issues in WA as there is in VIC.

I also went to Dianella White Eagles v Gwelup twice last season. Fans standing near each other. No problems.
droppedImage_2.jpg.html.jpeg

GalleryHandler.ashx

Two grounds I always loved playing at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back