A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
AFL, the biggest sporting code in the country, will kill A-League ratings. I'd like to hear a counter argument

Chuck NRL into that mix as well and nobody can come up with a valid counter-argument. Saying it can't compete against the AFL and NRL is such a basic argument but it just happens to be one point that can't be refuted.

People advocating for it to move to winter are wasting their time.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
To be fair not like we get “clean air” now.
Cricket, NBL, and both codes still dominate the media.
Then you have things such as going to the beach in summer and late nights to get cooler temps and Summer isn’t working either.
Sorry, but we should be killing the NBL... And it's a realistic opponent to go up against. Too many "all they do is dive" opinions from AFL/rugby land. At least NBL might be open-minded families.

And with the beach, if they don't put games at the hottest time of day, maybe people will consider HAL instead of the beach!

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Sorry, but we should be killing the NBL... And it's a realistic opponent to go up against. Too many "all they do is dive" opinions from AFL/rugby land. At least NBL might be open-minded families.

And with the beach, if they don't put games at the hottest time of day, maybe people will consider HAL instead of the beach!

Nothing to be sorry about, you are right we should. But we are still 10 pages in wether summer or winter. We aren’t getting the clear air summer was supposed to bring.

Thing is by that time it’s late at night. We need kids involved as well as adults.

I’m not saying we should move just that it’s not so clear cut to stay summer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon

Summer is probably better time to get the non committed soccer fans or those general sports fans. There will be a need for the game to be focused upon having a good product with a more strategic focus that imo mixes the nbl and previous bbl systems (but with the acl and how most contracts work it would involve partial cross over with winter sports).
Nothing to be sorry about, you are right we should. But we are still 10 pages in wether summer or winter. We aren’t getting the clear air summer was supposed to bring.

Thing is by that time it’s late at night. We need kids involved as well as adults.

I’m not saying we should move just that it’s not so clear cut to stay summer.
It doesn't matter either way, if it's not done right (which it hasn't been) it doesn't matter when its played. The broadcast arrangement and care from the broadcasters is key to the success, which hasn't been happening for years. Good match times and marketing (including getting the traditional supporters on side) is key to either placement.

The afl and nrl fans who are that and that only are weird. But understandable given they are essentially domestic sports. Ok ok league isn’t but u know what I mean.

It’s unfair that football has to avoid them to find fans and traction. But it is what it is.

So can’t run in winter cause of other footy. Thinking perhaps is there a time of year where there is nothing on ?

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
A-League club aiming to start new W-League team
Daniel Gilhooly

Wellington Phoenix have announced their desire to field a team in Australia's W-League.
Buoyed by the growth of women's soccer in New Zealand and the possibility of co-hosting the 2023 Women's World Cup with Australia, Phoenix general manager David Dome said the time is right to push for a W-League licence.
The concept has been mooted for several years but Dome said significant commercial progress had been made before the coronavirus pandemic interrupted sport.
He is working closely with NZ Football, who regard a progressional team as critical for the development of the 23rd-ranked Football Ferns national team, as well as providing a pathway for junior talent.
The biggest barrier is financial, with Phoenix owners wanting the team to be cost-neutral.
"'We had made significant progress pre-COVID and if we are to look at this positively, we have a very sound base to continue to build from," Dome said.
"More so than ever there are some significant financial and logistical challenges around professional sport but I believe that with the strong support of some key stakeholders, and most importantly of all the added prospect of a FIFA Women's World Cup in Australia and New Zealand in 2023, this is an unprecedented and unique opportunity that may never present itself again."
Any Phoenix women's team would probably be based in Australia because of the prohibitive costs of regular trans-Tasman travel.
Of the 11 current A-League clubs, only Wellington, Central Coast and the newly-formed Western United don't compete in the W-League. Central Coast contested the inaugural 2008-09 season but were dissolved a year later.
Oceania Football Confederation general secretary Franck Castillo threw his support behind the push, saying the Phoenix could be a pathway for players in the wider Pacific region.

Good move? and why not? Aucklander Andonis1997

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
A-League club aiming to start new W-League team
Daniel Gilhooly

Wellington Phoenix have announced their desire to field a team in Australia's W-League.
Buoyed by the growth of women's soccer in New Zealand and the possibility of co-hosting the 2023 Women's World Cup with Australia, Phoenix general manager David Dome said the time is right to push for a W-League licence.
The concept has been mooted for several years but Dome said significant commercial progress had been made before the coronavirus pandemic interrupted sport.
He is working closely with NZ Football, who regard a progressional team as critical for the development of the 23rd-ranked Football Ferns national team, as well as providing a pathway for junior talent.
The biggest barrier is financial, with Phoenix owners wanting the team to be cost-neutral.
"'We had made significant progress pre-COVID and if we are to look at this positively, we have a very sound base to continue to build from," Dome said.
"More so than ever there are some significant financial and logistical challenges around professional sport but I believe that with the strong support of some key stakeholders, and most importantly of all the added prospect of a FIFA Women's World Cup in Australia and New Zealand in 2023, this is an unprecedented and unique opportunity that may never present itself again."
Any Phoenix women's team would probably be based in Australia because of the prohibitive costs of regular trans-Tasman travel.
Of the 11 current A-League clubs, only Wellington, Central Coast and the newly-formed Western United don't compete in the W-League. Central Coast contested the inaugural 2008-09 season but were dissolved a year later.
Oceania Football Confederation general secretary Franck Castillo threw his support behind the push, saying the Phoenix could be a pathway for players in the wider Pacific region.

Good move? and why not? Aucklander Andonis1997
Definitely good move. Has been building for years and there's been a fair bit of momentum for it due to the NWL and now the World Cup bid. Look forward to actually tuning in if they get through 😅
It's just now logistics, do we base ourselves in Aus or NZ, and then with solely NZ players or mix?

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Definitely good move. Has been building for years and there's been a fair bit of momentum for it due to the NWL and now the World Cup bid. Look forward to actually tuning in if they get through 😅
It's just now logistics, do we base ourselves in Aus or NZ, and then with solely NZ players or mix?

That's the part I was a little iffy about. It wouldn't really be much of a Wellington team if they are based in Australia. But in the current climate maybe based in Oz for a couple of seasons might be a good thing in the long run.

Last edited:

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
It may be the future but there needs to be fta coverage to draw in those casual observers. I'm not sure if I would be willing to pay for another service (if it were to be through a paid service). If it were to be just like a YouTube channel it wouldn't be that bad but I still think for the competition at this point still needs to have atleast some sort of traditional media.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
FFA want to transform St George stadium into 'Home of Football' by 2023 - report | The World Game
By SBS The World Game

The site in Banksia is located in Sydney's south, less than 10 minutes away from Sydney airport.
On Tuesday, FFA lodged a formal enquiry with the local council who own the location, as reported by The Sydney Morning Herald.
"We received the letter this afternoon from James Johnson, FFA chief executive," Bayside mayor Joe Awada said.
"We will go through what’s been offered and what the benefits are to the local community. I am happy to talk to Football Federation Australia and keep them in mind but at this stage, it is very early to say."
FFA also intend to use the site for community programs and multicultural events when it's not occupied by one of the national teams.
Should Australia and New Zealand's joint Women's World Cup bid be successful on Friday morning (AEST), the plan is for the 'home of football' to be ready for the 2023 tournament.
Many European countries, including England, France, Italy and Spain have similar facilities for their national teams.

This is a good idea if they can sercure funds for it! Should have been done years ago tbh.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Fozza Gone!!

SBS to farewell Craig Foster after 18 years | The World Game

SBS plans to continue working with Craig in the future on the network’s marquee football events.
Craig will broadcast FIFA’s decision for hosting rights to the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup™ on Friday morning at 8am on SBS, alongside Lucy Zelić, as a fitting farewell to an 18-year career.
Craig Foster said: “My deepest gratitude to SBS Chairpersons, Directors, management, colleagues and our loyal viewers across football and news for an incredible journey. SBS provided not just an opportunity, but a mission back in 2002 and I instantly knew that we were aligned in our values, love of football and vision for the game.
But the organisational spirit of inclusion, acceptance of diversity and promotion of Australia’s multicultural heart struck me most deeply.
We brought this to life through football, but the mission was always to create a better Australia and world.
My own challenges lie in this field and I will miss the people, above all, though I will never be too far away.
I will always be deeply proud of having called SBS home for so long and look forward to walking down memory lane and thanking everyone personally over the next month.”
I was privileged to work with Johnny & Les whose vision for ⚽ extended well beyond the field, now my interests lie in how sport contributes to the world, in human rights & social justice
Two things are certain, football will always play a part, & @SBS will always be in my💜 pic.twitter.com/4LH37ZqZGQ
— Craig Foster (@Craig_Foster) June 24, 2020
SBS Managing Director, James Taylor, said: “Craig is one of the finest football analysts and commentators, and has made a significant contribution to SBS over almost two decades.
He embodies the personal and professional qualities that SBS espouses and we will watch with interest as he continues to break new ground, both as a former professional athlete and a strong advocate for social inclusion.
While he will be missed as a regular in the studio, and by all that have worked with him, we look forward to working with Craig down the track.”
SBS Director of Sport, Ken Shipp, said: “Craig has lived the values of our Charter in promoting multiculturalism, inclusion and social harmony and his list of achievements is vast.
From his famous, passionate commentary on the Socceroos’ 2005 World Cup Qualifier, developing a primary school football game for Harmony Day, winning three Logies as part of our amazing SBS World Game team, to championing the game of football in a way of which few are capable, Craig walked in the shoes of former great football advocates, Johnny Warren and Les Murray, and carried a proud legacy for two decades.
I will enjoy watching him continue to rise. The door remains always open to work together again and I know there is nothing that he cannot achieve. Craig will always be part of the SBS family.”
SBS Sport presenter, Lucy Zelić, said: “There will never, ever be another Craig Foster and SBS, together with the Australian football community, have been immeasurably fortunate to have a man of his talents, credibility and professionalism dedicated to the cause.
I always knew the day would come when Craig would be called upon for a greater purpose and I have no doubt in my mind that my beloved friend will continue to shine and inspire us all on his journey. He will always have a seat beside me at SBS, ready and waiting.”
SBS is committed to bringing Australians coverage of some of the best international sporting events, including the 2022 FIFA World Cup™ and the Tour de France and the French Open.
SBS remains the exclusive rights holder of the 2022 FIFA World Cup™ as well as the non-exclusive rights holder of a number of various other football events.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
FFA want to transform St George stadium into 'Home of Football' by 2023 - report | The World Game
By SBS The World Game

The site in Banksia is located in Sydney's south, less than 10 minutes away from Sydney airport.
On Tuesday, FFA lodged a formal enquiry with the local council who own the location, as reported by The Sydney Morning Herald.
"We received the letter this afternoon from James Johnson, FFA chief executive," Bayside mayor Joe Awada said.
"We will go through what’s been offered and what the benefits are to the local community. I am happy to talk to Football Federation Australia and keep them in mind but at this stage, it is very early to say."
FFA also intend to use the site for community programs and multicultural events when it's not occupied by one of the national teams.
Should Australia and New Zealand's joint Women's World Cup bid be successful on Friday morning (AEST), the plan is for the 'home of football' to be ready for the 2023 tournament.
Many European countries, including England, France, Italy and Spain have similar facilities for their national teams.

This is a good idea if they can sercure funds for it! Should have been done years ago tbh.
According to austadiums they wanted to do it in 2005 with Sydney fc using the ground as well (may have changed the existence of the wanderers in the process).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back