A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
FFA(?) Cup said:
Football Federation Australia (FFA) today announced that the FFA Cup will return to the national football calendar in 2021 with some key adjustments intended to improve and enhance the excitement associated with Australia’s largest annual club-based sporting competition.
  • FFA Cup Semi-Finals & Final earmarked to be on stand-alone weekends for the first time.
  • Final to be played at neutral venue.
  • FFA Cup Final Rounds will feature an open draw for the first time – generating more competitive tension and uncertainty.
  • FFA Cup 2021 winner to be awarded a preliminary round slot representing Australia in the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Champions League*.
  • FFA Cup Final Rounds Slot Allocation for A-League clubs and Member Federations to remain unchanged.
  • FFA Cup Final Rounds Play-Off matches between the bottom four (4) placed A-League clubs from the A-League 2020/21 season will be played to determine the final two (2) A-League teams to enter the Round of 32.
  • Wollongong Wolves (NPL 2019 Champions) will be granted entry into the FFA Cup 2021 Final Rounds. Wollongong missed out in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • :)

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins

Happy with all that apart from the neutral venue for the final, that will just suck the atmosphere away from the match and you know its always gonna be in Sydney.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Happy with all that apart from the neutral venue for the final, that will just suck the atmosphere away from the match and you know its always gonna be in Sydney.
It depends on what they mean by a neutral venue anyway. It could be nice to have, but I guess we will see.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
In a wide-ranging assessment of what lies ahead for an independent competition in charge of its own commercial destiny, the billionaire businessman explained funds would be at hand to forestall any worst-case scenarios from developing.

Lederer also said he expected the Jets to have a new owner “in a matter of days” whilst confirming recent speculation that Brisbane Roar’s vice-chairman Chris Fong is close to purchasing the club from the Jakarta-based Bakrie Group, who took a controlling ownership share of the three-time champions in 2011.

Lederer also revealed talks with rights holder Fox Sports about extending their recently renegotiated broadcast deal beyond the upcoming season were underway.

But he also hinted there may be others in the mix also.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins

Melbourne City becomes Melbourne Team 11 City.

Ten years to late! They should have made Casey Fields their base when it was offered to them back when Heart enter the league!
that whole catchment is Navy Blue! Will be tough to win fans over unless they build a stadium down there.

I regretfully say that if they build a stadium at Dandenong I'll surely be jumping ship. 5 minutes from their training ground, 20 from their stadium, it'd be insane not to. I'd rather be jumping ship to Team 11, but it looks as if that option is gone.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I regretfully say that if they build a stadium at Dandenong I'll surely be jumping ship. 5 minutes from their training ground, 20 from their stadium, it'd be insane not to. I'd rather be jumping ship to Team 11, but it looks as if that option is gone.

Find the whole closer argument weird.

I grew up in MtDruitt and lived 99% of the time west of Parra.
Didn’t jump ship when the Wanderboys joined. Never stopped following Balmain in the NRL

Giants are the only “closer” club I follow and that’s only because they are the reason I watch AFL.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon

Didn’t jump ship when the Wanderboys joined. Never stopped following Balmain in the NRL

Giants are the only “closer” club I follow and that’s only because they are the reason I watch AFL.
They were saying a good portion of the members joining are from around Casey. It will also be easier to pick up the talented immigrants/first generation/any other talented individuals that call the region home. We also have to be real, the facilities at Casey are going to include a 4000 seat stadium and probably is better and more central than at the back of a university (the current facility is likely to be expensive), the council also wants it. Yeah a few will switch sides because they are closer, but there will be people who haven't chosen a side yet or are more likely to pick the side because they are based in the same region.

It basically comes down to me despising travelling for 2+ hours for a game that is over in an hour and a half. I generally go alone so am not "making a day/night out of it'. I'm still relatively new to following soccer, so I am not overly attached to Victory. In fact the only reason I have a membership there is because they were the first club in Melbourne. If my City supporting friends were willing to attend games I would have signed up with them.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Sth Melbourne never averaged what City get.
Hell the highest crowd the got was 8k.

They would be selling out Lakeside most games if they were in the A-League and would easily have more fans than City. The A-League have been horrible in their expansion attempts in Victoria.

Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Atalanta B.C
Both were the main leagues of their time.

Besides being overly vocal, verging on psychotic, on social media they have not shown anything that would tell me they would get crowds that high.
They're still beyond comparison, south melbourne never played a derby vs melbourne victory, at the very least they have a geographical difference to victory which city realise they needed the whole time.
It is not a valid comparison at all.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
They're still beyond comparison, south melbourne never played a derby vs melbourne victory, at the very least they have a geographical difference to victory which city realise they needed the whole time.
It is not a valid comparison at all.

It’s all we have to compare.

So what evidence is there then that Sth would be any better? There is none.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
No they wouldn’t.
They didn’t when they were in the top flight.

A top flight league with less exposure than the A-League has ever had? Also many AFL games during the 90's had similar attendances, especially at places like Whitten Oval and the WACA.

Both were the main leagues of their time.

Using the "main leagues" argument would be like me comparing the First Division in 1985 to the EPL in 2015. There's that many differences it's beyond asinine to compare them.

Besides being overly vocal, verging on psychotic, on social media they have not shown anything that would tell me they would get crowds that high.

Don't you think playing in the highest professional football league in the country would attract more fans as well as getting more existing ones to watch the games?

Just think City was the right choice backing wise, they just needed to work on their point of difference.

South Melbourne have the point of difference to Victory in geography, demographics, history and any other metric you want to use. City were originally the Melbourne Heart and got * all fans to any game. Only reason MC get higher than the Heart did is because they're semi-successful and because of the Man City influence.

Back