A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A top flight league with less exposure than the A-League has ever had? Also many AFL games during the 90's had similar attendances, especially at places like Whitten Oval and the WACA.

Using the "main leagues" argument would be like me comparing the First Division in 1985 to the EPL in 2015. There's that many differences it's beyond asinine to compare them.

Don't you think playing in the highest professional football league in the country would attract more fans as well as getting more existing ones to watch the games?

South Melbourne have the point of difference to Victory in geography, demographics, history and any other metric you want to use. City were originally the Melbourne Heart and got fu** all fans to any game. Only reason MC get higher than the Heart did is because they're semi-successful and because of the Man City influence.

There is still nothing shown that would say South would draw the same or more than City.

There is still nothing shown that would say South would draw the same or more than City.

Carn they got 5,500 against Sydney in the FFA Cup not long ago. Most SANFL/VFL/WAFL/QANEAFWAFFLE clubs would bend over backwards for a crowd like that. It's pretty obvious they have supporters (especially if you actually live in Melbourne) and would have more fans than MC or WU in a heartbeat if they got admitted in.

Carn they got 5,500 against Sydney in the FFA Cup not long ago. Most SANFL/VFL/WAFL/QANEAFWAFFLE clubs would bend over backwards for a crowd like that. It's pretty obvious they have supporters (especially if you actually live in Melbourne) and would have more fans than MC or WU in a heartbeat if they got admitted in.

A 1 off game against 1 of the biggest clubs in the land.
Other NPL clubs drew that with ALeague opposition..

There is no evidence they would average higher.

A 1 off game against 1 of the biggest clubs in the land.
Other NPL clubs drew that with ALeague opposition..

There is no evidence they would average higher.
Alot of the ffa cup games have been sold out, no matter who has been playing.

Let me say I’m all for pro rel and even letting in Sth in the next round, just for the laughs when they get CCM crowds at most. Just think City was the right choice backing wise, they just needed to work on their point of difference.
The new teams needed a geographical element to it. Melbourne 'Heart' was stupid when 'Victory' already existed. Why leave Victory to join Heart if not for geographical purposes. Then they do 'City' which obviously no one got behind. Now it's too late, no one cares about that plastic club owned by the middle east...

The new teams needed a geographical element to it. Melbourne 'Heart' was stupid when 'Victory' already existed. Why leave Victory to join Heart if not for geographical purposes. Then they do 'City' which obviously no one got behind. Now it's too late, no one cares about that plastic club owned by the middle east...

Which still draws more than South who don’t pay coaches or players.

Which still draws more than South who don’t pay coaches or players.
Maybe now but we'll never know what would've happened had they done it better from the start

I'm not for/against south specifically just never understood the brain-dead idea of teams with no geographical affiliation. Victory had Melbourne already, you had to cater to a fanbase to pry fans away, most would be nailed on already. "Heart/City, that'll do it". WTF were they thinking? (they weren't)

Edit: Only need to see WSW early crowd success and need for new stadium to see what happens with correctly selected geographical planning of a team. "City" doesn't cut it

Last edited:
Said it before and I'll say it again. Melbourne City should have always been South Melbourne.
I would have agreed until they lied to the media about talking to the Nix about merging and taking our licence. Karma's got the best of them right now, and now I'm considering it even.

I would have agreed until they lied to the media about talking to the Nix about merging and taking our licence. Karma's got the best of them right now, and now I'm considering it even.

As someone who got into the A-League (and football) through the Nix and is happy to say his first favourite players were Paul Ifil and Andrew Durante, I know it leaves a sour taste with what they tried to do but South Melbourne should have had a team in by now and Wellington's position has been teetering on the brink for a few years now.

Wellington have been useless for more seasons than they were good, draw no crowds and arent even Australian (obviously). Why we are helping NZ by giving them a club i have no idea...

That said, there isnt an obvious replacement that will have a good fanbase. Dont say "south Melbourne" either, there's enough Melbourne teams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wellington have been useless for more seasons than they were good, draw no crowds and arent even Australian (obviously). Why we are helping NZ by giving them a club i have no idea...

That said, there isnt an obvious replacement that will have a good fanbase. Dont say "south Melbourne" either, there's enough Melbourne teams
In a broad sense Canberra should be the next cab of the rank. But also Tasmania, Adelaide and another team in Queensland. I dont mind having the nix in the comp (which seems to be the case with the other clubs as well), they seem to have turned the corner and have been able to bring something to the league, which I think Western United and Macarthur (Who look to be going pretty well) will get into a position that will bring something to the league.

In a broad sense Canberra should be the next cab of the rank. But also Tasmania, Adelaide and another team in Queensland. I dont mind having the nix in the comp (which seems to be the case with the other clubs as well), they seem to have turned the corner and have been able to bring something to the league, which I think Western United and Macarthur (Who look to be going pretty well) will get into a position that will bring something to the league.
I can assure you there is no need for a 2nd team here in adelaide. I actually fear for the viability of aufc as it is, no one cares about. I play soccer and out of 40 blokes at the club, none even follow them enough to check scores. Theres less aleague interest here than BBL and NBL, now going up against footy? Good luck. Everyone i know who vaguely followed it doesnt even pretend anymore...

On top of this, owners dont invest, they want a cheap squad so they can sell players for a profit which doesnt help bring in fans. Hindmarsh is a fantastic stadium when full at night but it hasnt been full for a very long time and without that atmosphere youre reminded it needs somewhere to escape the heat/rain etc. No shade, facilities getting older. No new fans, old fans giving up on it. I cant see these owners staying longer than 2-3 more years and covid cant have helped. Its fooked here, dont get it twisted. A 2nd team here is less needed than condoms in the queens bedroom

Good call on tassie and Canberra, theyd have to be next

Why do Adelaide need another team? It is not like the existing team are getting huge crowds.
because when expansion comes up all the journalists are into the idea of it. It would be interesting who would be coming in and out of the league if pro/rel would come in today.

Adelaide United is struggling for any sort of traction so I fail to see another team happening there any time soon. We've had 2 other teams in QLD already and whilst I had no issues with either of them, I can't see the Fury or GCU coming back (for now).

Macathur I'll reserve judgement until they start playing games but Western United has "Defunct A-League Club" written all over them. Canberra should have gotten in over WU but obviously Lowry, Gallop and the rest of the brains trust thought differently.

Why do Adelaide need another team? It is not like the existing team are getting huge crowds.
I tend to agree, but with the mockups for a proposed stadium design, on the roof they printed AUFC V Adelaide City, and it actually gained some traction.

That being said, City would take away from the AU fan base so...
Probably because we've been giving young Aussies a shot, more than any other club... And we've given 2 Aussie coaches their professional starts 🤭🤫

Glory's have always been a joke. I did like this line though, "the club have not raised their prices for a number of years." Considering probably 5 years ago I was paying about $250 for my membership and now it is up over $350, someone has been telling fibs.

Glory's have always been a joke. I did like this line though, "the club have not raised their prices for a number of years." Considering probably 5 years ago I was paying about $250 for my membership and now it is up over $350, someone has been telling fibs.

I wonder if part of the problem is WA being (seemingly) a one team Football Town (for the foreseeable future)

If there was a 2nd/alternative team based in Perth, Sage may have no choice to lower his greedy fat cat ticket price for The Glory.

Maybe it's a Perth thing though as acm21 says, the Eagles and Wildcats fans are also the dearest in the country (and probably for the cricket too, I dare say)

It is largely the cost that the club are charged to play at NIB. Even with the ridiculous membership prices, I think the club still need 10k through the gates each week to break even.

What a joke Perth Glory's prices are.

Western United's Membership is worse imo! Who's gonna pay $244 for a gypsy team who still don't know where some of their matches are gonna be played? WU should be giving away memberships not selling them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back