A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I think the fixtures are basically a week by week proposition at the moment. We know what should be happening but whether or not the games go ahead is another matter entirely.
I would say any nsw based games will go ahead, not sure what is happening with Perth. Victory are meant to be heading to Brisbane so might see a couple of teams move up there.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
The jets ownership have been stripped of the license. Forming a holding company with investment from members of the apl (i.e the owners of the other clubs, atleast some of them wouldn't be surprised if cfc was among the members)

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
The jets ownership have been stripped of the license. Forming a holding company with investment from members of the apl (i.e the owners of the other clubs, atleast some of them wouldn't be surprised if cfc was among the members)

The Jets themselves confirmed via a separate statement that the consortium will be "led by Sydney FC, Western United FC and the Western Sydney Wanderers FC."

"The consortium is focused on providing stability for the club and, in time, moving to an ownership model which is more representative of the local community," the Jets statement said.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Update on the Jets

'Real potential': Ex-NRL boss sees blue skies ahead for Jets, A-League

Former NRL executive Shane Mattiske can see "real potential" ready to be unlocked in both the Newcastle Jets - the struggling club he has been tasked with nursing back to full health - and the A-League overall.
Best known for his 15-year stint in rugby league - which included a six-month period as interim NRL chief executive after the resignation of David Gallop - Mattiske has, in more recent years, worked as a broadcast rights advisor for Nielsen Sports and Rugby Australia, and helped negotiate Football Australia's previous six-year deal with Fox Sports in 2016.
Lured into football by former colleague Danny Townsend, the chief executive of Sydney FC, Mattiske believes there are blue skies ahead for the A-League, which has struggled off the field for several years but is now being run by a club-controlled entity called Australian Professional Leagues after being officially 'unbundled' from Football Australia.
Advertisement
"There's winds of change blowing and the A-League is well positioned," Mattiske said. "It's similar to Newcastle [Jets] in a way - it's got all the right fundamentals [to succeed] and there are now significant structural changes that are going to support growth.
"I think there is a strong future. It will rely heavily on the commitment of the fans and the broader community and that is critical.
"Nothing's assured - we need people to stand up and get behind the competition, but it has real potential and these changes are going to help us unlock that potential."
A consortium led by the owners of Sydney FC, Western Sydney and Western United have pooled funds together to save the Jets from oblivion, with Mattiske chosen to spearhead the club's rehabilitation.
FIFA and AFC statutes prohibit any one person from controlling or influencing more than one club in a competition for integrity reasons, but a Football Australia spokesperson told the Herald the arrangement was "compliant" with those rules, adding: "No one person has decisive influence in more than one club in our league."
Mattiske was confident that conflicts of interest involving the Sky Blues, Wanderers and Western United could be managed with the right governance and management frameworks.
The Newcastle Jets made a grand final in 2017 but have endured a difficult few years since, on and off the field.
"The governance of the club is going to be really important. It's why there is an independent chair in place, and we will look to bring on independent directors who have got a connection into the Newcastle and broader region," he said.
"We will put in place structures - and we're already putting those in place - around matters like player recruitment and football decisions so that there aren't conflicts that occur because of the higher-level ownership interest. We're aware of all that ... I don't see it as an issue moving forward."
Mattiske stressed that the consortium in place should not be seen merely as "interim owners" but businesspeople who have made a serious commitment towards the club and the region.
Their plan is to re-engage with the Hunter community, find and secure locally-based investors, and then gradually hand the Jets over to a new ownership group.
"We're in a position where we can move in stages. We've got time and we'll take time," Mattiske said.
The Jets play their first home game on Friday night against the Wanderers and are offering $10 tickets for adults and $5 for juniors in recognition of the club's "fresh start".
Mattiske was non-committal on whether a permanent coach would be appointed to replace caretaker boss Craig Deans, who sources say has strong support from the playing group. Gary van Egmond, who has served as Jets coach in two separate stints, has already been linked to the job.
Arthur Papas, an assistant coach to Ange Postecoglou at Yokohama F. Marinos who is regarded as one of Australia's brightest young tacticians, had been lined up to coach the Jets in the event of a successful ownership takeover last year. However, the uncertainty surrounding the club prompted him to look at other options and he has since been appointed as the head coach of third-tier Japanese side Kagoshima United.
The Jets have racked up several million dollars in debt over the past 18 months but Mattiske said the club was now being run by a new and entirely separate corporate entity, and that previous liabilities were being addressed by Lee.
"Martin Lee is the owner of the old entity and Martin Lee is working through that at the moment, from our understanding," he said.
As for Lee's chief executive Lawrie McKinna, Mattiske said he had "great respect" for the job he had performed under difficult circumstances and wants him to be a part of the club going forward.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Update on the Jets

'Real potential': Ex-NRL boss sees blue skies ahead for Jets, A-League

Former NRL executive Shane Mattiske can see "real potential" ready to be unlocked in both the Newcastle Jets - the struggling club he has been tasked with nursing back to full health - and the A-League overall.
Best known for his 15-year stint in rugby league - which included a six-month period as interim NRL chief executive after the resignation of David Gallop - Mattiske has, in more recent years, worked as a broadcast rights advisor for Nielsen Sports and Rugby Australia, and helped negotiate Football Australia's previous six-year deal with Fox Sports in 2016.
Lured into football by former colleague Danny Townsend, the chief executive of Sydney FC, Mattiske believes there are blue skies ahead for the A-League, which has struggled off the field for several years but is now being run by a club-controlled entity called Australian Professional Leagues after being officially 'unbundled' from Football Australia.
Advertisement
"There's winds of change blowing and the A-League is well positioned," Mattiske said. "It's similar to Newcastle [Jets] in a way - it's got all the right fundamentals [to succeed] and there are now significant structural changes that are going to support growth.
"I think there is a strong future. It will rely heavily on the commitment of the fans and the broader community and that is critical.
"Nothing's assured - we need people to stand up and get behind the competition, but it has real potential and these changes are going to help us unlock that potential."
A consortium led by the owners of Sydney FC, Western Sydney and Western United have pooled funds together to save the Jets from oblivion, with Mattiske chosen to spearhead the club's rehabilitation.
FIFA and AFC statutes prohibit any one person from controlling or influencing more than one club in a competition for integrity reasons, but a Football Australia spokesperson told the Herald the arrangement was "compliant" with those rules, adding: "No one person has decisive influence in more than one club in our league."
Mattiske was confident that conflicts of interest involving the Sky Blues, Wanderers and Western United could be managed with the right governance and management frameworks.
The Newcastle Jets made a grand final in 2017 but have endured a difficult few years since, on and off the field.
"The governance of the club is going to be really important. It's why there is an independent chair in place, and we will look to bring on independent directors who have got a connection into the Newcastle and broader region," he said.
"We will put in place structures - and we're already putting those in place - around matters like player recruitment and football decisions so that there aren't conflicts that occur because of the higher-level ownership interest. We're aware of all that ... I don't see it as an issue moving forward."
Mattiske stressed that the consortium in place should not be seen merely as "interim owners" but businesspeople who have made a serious commitment towards the club and the region.
Their plan is to re-engage with the Hunter community, find and secure locally-based investors, and then gradually hand the Jets over to a new ownership group.
"We're in a position where we can move in stages. We've got time and we'll take time," Mattiske said.
The Jets play their first home game on Friday night against the Wanderers and are offering $10 tickets for adults and $5 for juniors in recognition of the club's "fresh start".
Mattiske was non-committal on whether a permanent coach would be appointed to replace caretaker boss Craig Deans, who sources say has strong support from the playing group. Gary van Egmond, who has served as Jets coach in two separate stints, has already been linked to the job.
Arthur Papas, an assistant coach to Ange Postecoglou at Yokohama F. Marinos who is regarded as one of Australia's brightest young tacticians, had been lined up to coach the Jets in the event of a successful ownership takeover last year. However, the uncertainty surrounding the club prompted him to look at other options and he has since been appointed as the head coach of third-tier Japanese side Kagoshima United.
The Jets have racked up several million dollars in debt over the past 18 months but Mattiske said the club was now being run by a new and entirely separate corporate entity, and that previous liabilities were being addressed by Lee.
"Martin Lee is the owner of the old entity and Martin Lee is working through that at the moment, from our understanding," he said.
As for Lee's chief executive Lawrie McKinna, Mattiske said he had "great respect" for the job he had performed under difficult circumstances and wants him to be a part of the club going forward.

I see the consortium structure in place with Newcastle as being the same as when the ffa took over after tinkler. In this case its the apl with 3 clubs taking charge. This situation has also happened in the mls previously.

Also Mattiske was sacked as consultant by rugby Australia and had no hand in the negotiations.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Honestly, how many chances do the Jets get? Personally I believe that the new owners cannot get their act together, they should just relocate the franchise to Wollongong or Canberra, or just terminate their license altogether.

I am still bitter that the FFA in their foolishness killed off the NQ Fury for no sound or logistical reason.

There is a thriving football community up there.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Honestly, how many chances do the Jets get? Personally I believe that the new owners cannot get their act together, they should just relocate the franchise to Wollongong or Canberra, or just terminate their license altogether.

I am still bitter that the FFA in their foolishness killed off the NQ Fury for no sound or logistical reason.

There is a thriving football community up there.
NQ is definitely one of the markets that needs a side, its important to note that the Phoenix nq side hasn't survived either. But the reason for the side is the same reason for a side in Newcastle;that is a significant region that has a strong population and is apart from the capital city. The failure of Newcastle, at least the past 2 owners, has been the collapse of the owners business, it has nothing to do with the Hunter region at large.

billyboutsis

All Australian
Sep 23, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton
Sth Melbourne never averaged what City get.
Hell the highest crowd the got was 8k.
Oh deary me, what are you talking about? South in the final 7-8 seasons of the NSL used to average 5000-6000 for most games against smaller interstate teams, 6000-7500 for league games against interstate traditional rivals and well over 10k for most derbys and top of the table clashes. We had 14500 against Perth Glory on a wed night ffs.

the whole ethnic thing is such a load of bullshit too. The clashes in the years gone by between rival a league supporter groups were off the charts in violence compared to the s**t that went on during the nsl days. Channel 10 once led the news bulletin about ethnicviolence when all that really happened of note was a horse getting hit by a flare

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Oh deary me, what are you talking about? South in the final 7-8 seasons of the NSL used to average 5000-6000 for most games against smaller interstate teams, 6000-7500 for league games against interstate traditional rivals and well over 10k for most derbys and top of the table clashes. We had 14500 against Perth Glory on a wed night ffs.

the whole ethnic thing is such a load of bullshit too. The clashes in the years gone by between rival a league supporter groups were off the charts in violence compared to the sh*t that went on during the nsl days. Channel 10 once led the news bulletin about ethnicviolence when all that really happened of note was a horse getting hit by a flare

Did they now. Cool. I’m sure you can have links for that? And I mean season average not 1 off games.

Didn’t mention anything about “ethnics” etc so nice added rant.

billyboutsis

All Australian
Sep 23, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton
A 1 off game against 1 of the biggest clubs in the land.
Other NPL clubs drew that with ALeague opposition..

There is no evidence they would average higher.

Did they now. Cool. I’m sure you can have links for that? And I mean season average not 1 off games.

Didn’t mention anything about “ethnics” etc so nice added rant.

Here, go for your life

Last edited:

billyboutsis

All Australian
Sep 23, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton
I have so much to say on the state of the game but ill prob be here for hours typing it all on my mobile so it will need to be left for another time.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
I have so much to say on the state of the game but ill prob be here for hours typing it all on my mobile so it will need to be left for another time.

Any opinions on the state of football is Australia is encouraged on these boards, It creates some good and sometimes heated discussions.
So post away anytime.

Back