A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Easy to laugh and mock at Western United now, but I am curious to see what their club and fanbase will be like, once their stadium is finally built (by the year 3000 by the looks of it)

And they had a very successful inaugural season (on field), so I am not sure if they deserve a lot to the canning they are getting here.

Easy to laugh and mock at Western United now, but I am curious to see what their club and fanbase will be like, once their stadium is finally built (by the year 3000 by the looks of it)

And they had a very successful inaugural season (on field), so I am not sure if they deserve a lot to the canning they are getting here.
Being a travelling circus is not how you get fans. Start in one community then build from there. These guys are literally homeless.

Being a travelling circus is not how you get fans. Start in one community then build from there. These guys are literally homeless.

Part of their problem is there no decent football stadium out their way (yet) and they won't be able to play home games in Geelong for much longer, and AAMI Park will be booked for Victory, City and Melbourne Storm home games, so they have to go on this magical mystery tour.

In hindsight, maybe they should have waited for their stadium to be built in Tarneit before they were admitted or at least kicked off in the A League.

If they can draw crowds to their games in Tassie, that can only be a good thing (in my opinion)

Part of their problem is there no decent football stadium out their way (yet) and they won't be able to play home games in Geelong for much longer, and AAMI Park will be booked for Victory, City and Melbourne Storm home games, so they have to go on this magical mystery tour.

In hindsight, maybe they should have waited for their stadium to be built in Tarneit before they were admitted or at least kicked off in the A League.

If they can draw crowds to their games in Tassie, that can only be a good thing (in my opinion)
Yeah all they need is a stadium and a location, the problem is those things should primary consideration when giving out an a league license.
Obviously they have a lot of money otherwise they wouldn't exist.
But they've done everything well except have a stadium or a location.

Maybe they should move to Tassie for good.

There was talks months ago that Western were in talks with tassie. City and Victory are not willing for them to play at aami, fight to get the 3 or 4 that they got (that's mainly against city and victory). Covid doesn't help with stadium capacity to use an npl ground.

Hindsight is not giving a license to a group who's main selling point is "well we expect this population to gazoople by 2030 give us a team please".

Call me crazy but I wonder if there's a historic club with their own 10k stadium in a geographically distinct region of Melbourne who got voted Oceania's Club of The Century who've always had the financial backing and supporter base to stand on their own two feet and who've always pushed to be in the A-League.

Hindsight is not giving a license to a group who's main selling point is "well we expect this population to gazoople by 2030 give us a team please".

Call me crazy but I wonder if there's a historic club with their own 10k stadium in a geographically distinct region of Melbourne who got voted Oceania's Club of The Century who've always had the financial backing and supporter base to stand on their own two feet and who've always pushed to be in the A-League.
I dont think an inner city club is what is actually wanted, especially with city and victory. Considering Western is propping up Newcastle, I think they have the money to succeed.

If we go for a new Victorian side maybe a side in Dandenong would have worked, but they wouldn't have had a stadium yet either. You can easily argue there may have been other markets that would have worked, like Canberra or maybe the Illawarra (although the only other professional team in the region has not been finacially successful).

All Nomads "United" jokes aside, I ******* hate this Tasmania stuff. It's eminently frustrating when you feel like you, some pleb on a message board, know more than the experts running the comp.

Going back to that last expansion I was vehemently saying that Tassie had to be one, for the exact reason we've seen over the last couple of weeks. (And not just cos I grew up there) Let's remember they didn't even make the final 6 of the 10 bids.

It's been plain to see since before the current Tasmanian Liberal Government were even elected that there would come a point that they would get jack of FIFO teams and they'd give the AFL the nuclear ultimatum. The AFL will always say no, cos they don't care about Tassie.

So you've got a state where local footy is dead, where I think the AFL's FIFO teams aren't long for the state, and where even by Australian standards, football is a wildly popular junior sport (especially among girls)... Tassie was ripe for the taking by the FFA. The Hurricanes have shown that a well-marketed team that represents the whole state will be supported by the whole state, I think the Jack Jumpers will do the same (disproving Gil's "north/south parochialism" argument).

We could've had a whole state of half a million and we pissed it away for a couple of extra derbies that no one actually cares about, and no one will ever care about, because Western United can't ever hope to find a fan base if they can't sit still for 5 friggen minutes (and I'm one of those who never thought the stadium would be built - I don't believe it's the case that they'll eventually find their fanbase in a growing Tarneit region, cos it'll never be their home.)

It's insulting to Tasmanian's to expect them to give a s**t, and to judge their future prospects on them giving a s**t about a nomad team that can't even get fans in its own back yard. You're giving them a worse version of what Tassie is trying to get out of with the AFL, at least Hawthorn and North are established teams with fans who are excited to see their teams play down there. You can't see that for this rabble.

I dont think an inner city club is what is actually wanted, especially with city and victory. Considering Western is propping up Newcastle, I think they have the money to succeed.

If we go for a new Victorian side maybe a side in Dandenong would have worked, but they wouldn't have had a stadium yet either. You can easily argue there may have been other markets that would have worked, like Canberra or maybe the Illawarra (although the only other professional team in the region has not been finacially successful).

Aside from SM the only other Victorian side I would have been in favour of is one based in Geelong that have a game or two in Ballarat/Bendigo to expand their supporter base and make it the regional alternative to the Melbourne clubs similar to how NSW have the Jets and the Mariners. SM and Geelong are also the only two who'd have had ready made stadiums and built in support so why WU got in ahead of them is just insane.

I agree completely with Canberra and they should've been brought in after the Asian Cup in 2015. The fact they don't have a team yet when we've got WU and had the Fury and GCU in at one stage is a disgrace. And I have always argued extensively that Wollongong should've gotten in over Macarthur but will preserve judgement because they've come in at the worst possible time and it is unfair to properly appraise or judge them yet.

The next team to come in should probably always have been Canberra. They have been wanting a team for years and have the stadium there ready to go.

If Lowy and Gallop had a brain between them, they'd have brought in Canberra and Tasmania in together in 2016 after the Asian Cup and before the two new teams we have now.

2k at Souths first NPL game, capacity capped due to covid. (just an NPL game)

Awesome, yet that’s been their crowds for a while now even without covid.

Wish them all the best, a bit different to how they think of the ALeague, but this talk they are the greatest club and they will sellout the stadium every game if they were in the A-League is ridiculous. Laughably so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

honestly, what would you know? You’re a johnny come lately with FA understanding/knowledge of roots of the game locally but post like you’re well versed in all facets. (Sorry to tell you but you’re at a Forrest Gump equivalent level when it comes to this)

South would be comfortably getting bigger home crowds than either of city or WU. They automatically would be considered a big draw for all non-vic teams given their history which in turn would have benefited the league/tv rights negotiations/crowd numbers/media exposure/general interest

Too bad the ffa and club owners archaic view/thickheadedness towards “ethnic” clubs (as if there was “really” an issue given south was/is the only genuine a-league aspirant from the old ethnic nsl clubs) is unravelling this season with diminishing crowds right across the league. If you think the current owners will prop up 5-6 clubs as opposed to 1 or 2 ongoing then you’ve been sniffing a little too much glue.

Nice whinge but you’ve shown me nothing in response that would contradict me.

Great news Andonis1997

honestly, what would you know? You’re a johnny come lately with FA understanding/knowledge of roots of the game locally but post like you’re well versed in all facets. (Sorry to tell you but you’re at a Forrest Gump equivalent level when it comes to this)

South would be comfortably getting bigger home crowds than either of city or WU. They automatically would be considered a big draw for all non-vic teams given their history which in turn would have benefited the league/tv rights negotiations/crowd numbers/media exposure/general interest

Too bad the ffa and club owners archaic view/thickheadedness towards “ethnic” clubs (as if there was “really” an issue given south was/is the only genuine a-league aspirant from the old ethnic nsl clubs) is unravelling this season with diminishing crowds right across the league. If you think the current owners will prop up 5-6 clubs as opposed to 1 or 2 ongoing then you’ve been sniffing a little too much glue.
1. There ground is an athletic stadium that was not upto standard to host the wleague game last night
2. They are not the only nsl club who wants in, you have Wollongong and Adelaide city who have put there hand up previously. And I know there are other clubs like Apia, Marconi and Sydney Olympic who are wanting in on the b league. These b league clubs obviously would have aspirations to get into the A-League.
3. The Melbourne metro market is full. There is no reason for another Melbourne metro team because two is plenty to survive in a market where soccer is not the number 1 sport.
4. There is no real basis to argue that they will get than the 2 or 3k mark at games. There would be a history and sentimental value to the club joining the league but how long would that last?

thats right i got nothing. Please though, continue with the wildly naive, inaccurate and cringeworthy Macarthur FC takes/predictions and across the other football threads on this forum

So still nothing?

Ahh so you are one of those.

Tell me with all that experience and knowledge how did your beloved NSL implode so dramatically?

Actually forget it you’ve added no info in this thread other than insults and chest beating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Youve implied i am an NSL cheerleader when ive already stated other than the current nsl/a- league clubs only a team from wollongong and south deserved to eventually be granted licences on their merits with south having existing stadium infrastructure and established supporter base.
Amongst my extended group of friends that i grew up (not social media “friends”) with include, a current ceo, a current head coach of an a league team, head coach of a prospective b-league team, a chief football journalist and a 3 recently retired a-league players who all won a-league championships.

I also work for the one of the biggest off field figures in the league whos ideology is polar opposite to the way i see things. there was no current place for a western united team in what is an already diluted marketplace which doesnt have that strong affiliation/divide to west/east that you find up in sydney. Allowing them in with no stadium in place has f’ed them before theyve even started. Also, the short sightedness of his cohorts up north ******* over the logical choice Southern Expansion bid to “protect” their own clubs from possibly losing a small number of members to a southern expasion franchise which would have encompassed the st george region was pathetic but its clear that its blown up in their face cos no one gives a fu** except for Armenia’s own pinocchio.

Unfortunately i suspect you may brush that off as a dick measuring contest or of no consequence/substance to the basic points i have made (and to add to that the time it took me to write all this out on my phone lol) but hopefully it may make you think twice about being so dismissive .

Didn’t imply it.

I personally think you’re all talk.

All you’ve done is whinge.

Southern expansion was logical? lol says it all really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn’t imply it.

I personally think you’re all talk.

All you’ve done is take this thread off topic and whinge.

Southern expansion was logical? lol says it all really.

Haha, shame on me for engaging the village idiot. Enjoy the season, ring those cow bells proudly and loudly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back