A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

All Nomads "United" jokes aside, I ******* hate this Tasmania stuff. It's eminently frustrating when you feel like you, some pleb on a message board, know more than the experts running the comp.

Going back to that last expansion I was vehemently saying that Tassie had to be one, for the exact reason we've seen over the last couple of weeks. (And not just cos I grew up there) Let's remember they didn't even make the final 6 of the 10 bids.

It's been plain to see since before the current Tasmanian Liberal Government were even elected that there would come a point that they would get jack of FIFO teams and they'd give the AFL the nuclear ultimatum. The AFL will always say no, cos they don't care about Tassie.

So you've got a state where local footy is dead, where I think the AFL's FIFO teams aren't long for the state, and where even by Australian standards, football is a wildly popular junior sport (especially among girls)... Tassie was ripe for the taking by the FFA. The Hurricanes have shown that a well-marketed team that represents the whole state will be supported by the whole state, I think the Jack Jumpers will do the same (disproving Gil's "north/south parochialism" argument).

We could've had a whole state of half a million and we pissed it away for a couple of extra derbies that no one actually cares about, and no one will ever care about, because Western United can't ever hope to find a fan base if they can't sit still for 5 friggen minutes (and I'm one of those who never thought the stadium would be built - I don't believe it's the case that they'll eventually find their fanbase in a growing Tarneit region, cos it'll never be their home.)

It's insulting to Tasmanian's to expect them to give a sh*t, and to judge their future prospects on them giving a sh*t about a nomad team that can't even get fans in its own back yard. You're giving them a worse version of what Tassie is trying to get out of with the AFL, at least Hawthorn and North are established teams with fans who are excited to see their teams play down there. You can't see that for this rabble.
And now we have the looming Womens World Cup in 2023, a perfect launching pad to the game in Tasmania. Hell, imagine the opening night of a rectangular stadium being a World Cup game. I honestly think a female team in the W League would be a no brainer as well. Create a "centre of excellence" in Tassie, the Universities would be well suited to offer it in their curriculum (somehow) and it wouldn't be hard to enter teams in local (high level) competitions.

Tasmania is ripe for the picking, they're as parochial as they come and the grass roots game is very well placed. Anyone that brings up the North vs South debate is someone who clearly only talks to people over the age of 70. That rivalry is from a time where it was an Aussie Rules based allegiances, you only need to spend any time in the place to realise that if someone from Tasmania does anything remotely note worthy that the whole state treats them like a legend, regardless of what part of the state they originate from.

I wish I had the money to make things happen in that space because I would be all in on a Tassie team, fresh nights in a packed boutique 12k stadium and elite training facilities backed by the government and local universities isn't something I think would be a financial risk.

Adding to the coaching panel mid-season but not sacking the head coach is bold I suppose.

Ridiculous statement by AAMI Park! We can see right through the double standards.

Melbourne & Olympic Parks Update: AAMI Park Active Support
FRIDAY 12 MARCH 2021
Melbourne & Olympic Parks works in partnership with the Victorian Government Department of Health, Victoria Police and its tenant clubs to deliver COVIDSafe public events that balance safety and wellbeing of our guests, staff and athletes, while providing an enjoyable event experience.
To achieve a COVIDSafe event environment, standing active support has not been possible at AAMI Park to date.
Discussions are ongoing between all parties to review the opportunities for re-introducing active support to the matchday experience, taking into account the evolving public health landscape and COVIDSafe requirements.
Standing active support is not a feature of the Rugby League game experience, however, all other current COVIDSafe venue requirements remain the same for all codes.
AAMI Park’s COVIDSafe operating plan is being regularly reviewed, and we will continue to work with our partners with a common goal to achieve COVIDSafe active support.

Ridiculous statement by AAMI Park! We can see right through the double standards.

Melbourne & Olympic Parks Update: AAMI Park Active Support
FRIDAY 12 MARCH 2021
Melbourne & Olympic Parks works in partnership with the Victorian Government Department of Health, Victoria Police and its tenant clubs to deliver COVIDSafe public events that balance safety and wellbeing of our guests, staff and athletes, while providing an enjoyable event experience.
To achieve a COVIDSafe event environment, standing active support has not been possible at AAMI Park to date.
Discussions are ongoing between all parties to review the opportunities for re-introducing active support to the matchday experience, taking into account the evolving public health landscape and COVIDSafe requirements.
Standing active support is not a feature of the Rugby League game experience, however, all other current COVIDSafe venue requirements remain the same for all codes.
AAMI Park’s COVIDSafe operating plan is being regularly reviewed, and we will continue to work with our partners with a common goal to achieve COVIDSafe active support.

That Rugby League line is a real doozy. Are they trying to say that it is allowed because it’s not a feature of the game experience?

It's been fifteenth years since Australia joined the AFC! A Good Article by Simon Hill about football Australia's relationship with Asia and Asian players in that time.

There was a very odd video released by Optus Sport a while ago involving John Aloisi interviewing Bogut and getting his thoughts on everything wrong with the current state of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised to come across a Reddit post in the A League thread regarding the Tassie team (or potential). Seemed to be a consensus of they're only using the A League as a pawn to get the AFL to get a team so we don't want them in the A League.

Seemed a rather contradictory view to most football people I speak to and what the general consensus is here.

I actually don't care if the A League is being used as long as the government gets behind the team. I just hope that Covid isn't going to be used as the 'catch-all' for why the league doesn't want to expand.

I would love for people like Craig Foster, Simon Hill, Bresh and Moore to have some major input into the code in this country. We have so many smart football people in this country but they never seem to be given an opportunity to make change.

Also, I don't think we should switch to the winter season. I don't know how we do it to align with Asia better but I just don't see the competition doing as well when it's competing with Rugby League and AFL for the entirety of the season.

Had an argument with Bogut on Twitter once. The guys an absolute looney.

A few writers have outed him as a RW conspiracy theories in the past

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few writers have outed him as a RW conspiracy theories in the past

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think he just likes being outspoken and in the headlines.

If the money and club support of the deal is as high as it is being stated, fa won't (and probably couldn't) say no. Winter would be difficult, also with players (unless they force all the games between Feb and June/July due to the structure of Europe seasons.

What Bogut thinks about anything shouldn't really matter. All that matters should be his output on the court

Well off topic now but I disagree. This isn’t even a comment referring to Bogut in particular, but I don’t think it’s ideal when anyone with a sizeable following promotes baseless conspiracies and toxic behaviour, all under the guise of not falling anywhere on the political spectrum but instead just thinking that he is the common man.

Ffa cup will have a new name (unsurprisingly). They are calling for ideas seen Australia Cup and Les Murray Cup being mentioned.

Had an argument with Bogut on Twitter once. The guys an absolute looney.
Lucky to have had an argument with him. Normally he just blocks you the coward.

Ffa cup will have a new name (unsurprisingly). They are calling for ideas seen Australia Cup and Les Murray Cup being mentioned.

Not sure about naming the competition after a TV host despite his love and affection for the game. It's a good sentiment in theory but if it has to be named after someone I'd rather a famous past player. The Australia Cup makes the most common sense but this is the F.A we're talking about Common sense isn't what they are renowned for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back