A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
I

There already is the Johnny Warren medal though, calling the FFA Cup after Les Murray seems perfect to me.

There are plenty of past famous Aussie footballers we can attach the Cup name too before Les imo if we want to connect the competition with the community and past history of the game then surely we can come up with a past footballer, Socceroo etc..

Charlie Yankos, Paul Wade, John Kosmina, Alex Tobin, Mark Viduka, Harry Kewell, Craig Johnston even (I know he never player for the Socceroos but he had a Brilliant career in England) that's just to name a few, plenty others..

I like the sound of 'The Charlie Yankos Cup' rolls off the tongue nicely.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
There are plenty of past famous Aussie footballers we can attach the Cup name too before Les imo if we want to connect the competition with the community and past history of the game then surely we can come up with a past footballer, Socceroo etc..

Charlie Yankos, Paul Wade, John Kosmina, Alex Tobin, Mark Viduka, Harry Kewell, Craig Johnston even (I know he never player for the Socceroos but he had a Brilliant career in England) that's just to name a few, plenty others..

Mark Vidkua ftw or GAGF

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche

Les was quite pivotal in growing the game with Johnny Warren. I’d be happy to have it named after him

Not too sure how to feel about this. Hopefully more defensive reinforcements mean we see less Ingham.

163996158_10159422679878960_2761903905163456752_o.jpg

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
"a source close to the Victory board - which itself has been suffering a supporter backlash over the club’s descent into the abyss - maintains rookie coach Brebner will be given more time. Very possibly until the end of the season.

A monthly board meeting scheduled for early next week will delve deeply into how badly the wheels have fallen off for the four-time champions, whose calamitous decline continued with last night’s 4-1 loss to Wellington."

Also says that whoever they bring in won't make a difference because the squad is not good enough.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Would be interesting to see if city decide to build a ground in Dandenong. Would depend on the length of the aami park deal and potentially if anything could happen with the government. The ground the wleague are playing at tonight has a reported cap of 4k.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Mcr will be the principal partner for the rest of the season

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Looks like the eoi is closed on the aleague broadcast rights. 9 bidders fox sports and Stan/nine are pretty much confirmed, and are said to be both domestic and international companies (so probably also includes optus and Amazon). Also they are happy to spread the content between providers)

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Looks like the eoi is closed on the aleague broadcast rights. 9 bidders fox sports and Stan/nine are pretty much confirmed, and are said to be both domestic and international companies (so probably also includes optus and Amazon). Also they are happy to spread the content between providers)

I'll believe it when I see it. Sadly I've been following football in Australia far too long to not be cynical. Unless you can drum up a bidding war between 2 of the 3 commercial FTA stations then you're really relying on charity/whatever they'll give you. Outside EPL and Champions League, there isn't a streaming service that's going to make a godfather offer that blows everyone out of the water.

Still, without much summer sport outside a month of tennis, I could see 9/Stan making a decent bid and putting the match of the week or GEM or something. It'd be no worse than our previous FTA deals.

MUFC want to buy CCM = good
MUFC then wanting to move CCM to Sydney = brain dead.

Why do the worlds dumbest people buy sports teams?

Brain dead? It's been in the works/talked about for a long time and would unlock a huge chunk of Sydney without a team. I know for instance that a lot of my friends and myself who currently have a reasonably passing interest in going to A-League games would go a whole lot more, and the train from the Central Coast into Sydney is 30-40 minutes so CCM fans would still be able to get there reasonably easily.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Brain dead? It's been in the works/talked about for a long time and would unlock a huge chunk of Sydney without a team. I know for instance that a lot of my friends and myself who currently have a reasonably passing interest in going to A-League games would go a whole lot more, and the train from the Central Coast into Sydney is 30-40 minutes so CCM fans would still be able to get there reasonably easily.
Sydney doesn't need another team. They barely support the ones they have in relation to the population of the city. Really, really stupid idea

If it's only a 30-40 minute train ride why don't the fairweather Sydney-based supporters travel rather than making the decades-long supporters do so?

Sydney doesn't need another team. They barely support the ones they have in relation to the population of the city. Really, really stupid idea

If it's only a 30-40 minute train ride why don't the fairweather Sydney-based supporters travel rather than making the decades-long supporters do so?

Do they? Reckon Sydney supports their teams better than Melbourne does.

Some do travel, I've gone up for a few games, but come on mate, North Sydney has a much bigger population catchment than the coast.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Do they? Reckon Sydney supports their teams better than Melbourne does.
North Sydney has a much bigger population catchment than the coast.
Couldn't disagree more re: Sydney crowds to Melbourne. There's a reason Melbourne makes claim to sporting capital of the world...

Alienate your current fanbase costing you fans then hope a notoriously fairweather city picks up the slack isn't the way forward IMO.

A-League just keeps dwindling down to nothing anyway, none of this will matter in 3 years

Couldn't disagree more re: Sydney crowds to Melbourne. There's a reason Melbourne makes claim to sporting capital of the world...

Alienate your current fanbase costing you fans then hope a notoriously fairweather city picks up the slack isn't the way forward IMO.

A-League just keeps dwindling down to nothing anyway, none of this will matter in 3 years

Yawn. Sporting capital of the world. How are Melbourne City going compared to WSW?

The current fanbase who completely deserted the side when they were s**t? Don't pretend that Central Coast supporters aren't any less fairweather. Speaking of, how are Melbourne Victory crowds going?

Dwindling? Have you even watched this season at all?

Back