A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Kuol off to Stuttgart on a free.

Didn't realise it was a free when I saw it on twitter before.

I'm sure there's cash down the line if he develops into anything, but we've gotta get better than this. Fozzie always used to say it - you go overseas when 10 clubs want you, not when 1 club wants you. To then let them go to that 1 club for free is amatuerish.

Anyone got any solid knowledge, data or links of A-League clubs’ junior and development programmes in the last 10 or so years? At a glance it seems some cashed up clubs just rely on poaching players from other clubs or international foreign and Australian players at the behest of their own development programmes.
I remember Graham Arnold saying it’s not his job to develop young players while at Sydney, I think Muscat may have had a similar mindset at Victory. Both clubs have been successful for it but some real stats might be interesting.

Anyone got any solid knowledge, data or links of A-League clubs’ junior and development programmes in the last 10 or so years? At a glance it seems some cashed up clubs just rely on poaching players from other clubs or international foreign and Australian players at the behest of their own development programmes.
I remember Graham Arnold saying it’s not his job to develop young players while at Sydney, I think Muscat may have had a similar mindset at Victory. Both clubs have been successful for it but some real stats might be interesting.
Wsw seem to have a good development program, same as ccm. After the failures of Brisbane and now victory, should see a shift in forcus to development (also take awhile to build the depth of the development)

As expected popa looks like he is in the frame for the victory role. His biggest challenge yet if he takes it, will need to rebuild completely with all key figures going to be forced out (even the CEO, probably also related to the commercial performance and having to rely on the owners' company interests to fill the jersey)

As expected popa looks like he is in the frame for the victory role. His biggest challenge yet if he takes it, will need to rebuild completely with all key figures going to be forced out (even the CEO, probably also related to the commercial performance and having to rely on the owners' company interests to fill the jersey)

"A radical rebuild is planned, with Victory’s four highly-touted off-season imports - Ryan Shotton, Callum McManaman, Rudy Gestede and Jacob Butterfield - also in the firing line.

All four have two-year contracts, which the club is likely to pay out to clear the decks."

ffs who signs these contracts? Trent Jacobs i'm guessing. Sack his ass ASAP!

Thought Butterfield has been serviceable, and McManaman maybe, other two are rubbish.

Butterfield is useless, average at best as a defensive mid, he couldn't lead men to tie their own shoe laces and MacManaman can only play 20mins before he is stuffed and goes missing. Ironically the only one I would keep is Shotton who has played the lest and is the only one from what I've seen that has shown any leadership. He could be a good centre back in this league if he can stay on the park!

Butterfield is useless, average at best as a defensive mid, he couldn't lead men to tie their own shoe laces and MacManaman can only play 20mins before he is stuffed and goes missing. Ironically the only one I would keep is Shotton who has played the lest and is the only one from what I've seen that has shown any leadership. He could be a good centre back in this league if he can stay on the park!

Shotton has been dreadful whenever I've seen him. Had him in fantasy for a while so watched him more closely and was so poor.

Shotton has been dreadful whenever I've seen him. Had him in fantasy for a while so watched him more closely and was so poor.

At the beginning his lack of pace was telling but he slowly adjusted to the league passing is an issue but positioning and ready of the play was great and I could see he had some leadership qualities. We haven't seen much of him so hard to really tell probably wont get to see him for much longer either by the looks.

We don't do a good enough job of scouting players to suit this league. Typically hotter, harder pitches, League 1 level physicality - it's not as simple as looking at a guy and going "he's played Championship, he'll suit."

Butterfield is such a clear example of that - in the ACL games we played season he bossed that hybrid 6/8 role and it looked like we'd genuinely found one. Get him to Australia - on the other side of 2 weeks in a hotel - and I suspect that like many others, Butterfield's top priority might be more about enjoying Melbourne than enjoying football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't do a good enough job of scouting players to suit this league. Typically hotter, harder pitches, League 1 level physicality - it's not as simple as looking at a guy and going "he's played Championship, he'll suit."

Butterfield is such a clear example of that - in the ACL games we played season he bossed that hybrid 6/8 role and it looked like we'd genuinely found one. Get him to Australia - on the other side of 2 weeks in a hotel - and I suspect that like many others, Butterfield's top priority might be more about enjoying Melbourne than enjoying football.
That and if they don't have a tentative link to the premier league then they're not even looked at.

That and if they don't have a tentative link to the premier league then they're not even looked at.

To be fair there is a large marketing element of marquee players which is fair enough. You either have to nail it and the player scores a bucket of goals, or they have a marketable name.

To be fair there is a large marketing element of marquee players which is fair enough. You either have to nail it and the player scores a bucket of goals, or they have a marketable name.
Wasn't really talking about marquee players. None of the Victory imports are anything close to marketable nor have they been marketed.

How successful was Honda? A big name, but not successful as a player; good at the start but not as the season went on. It seems that overall they should be a good name, atleast in the contest of the league, but also needs to be playing well; think Taylor, Ono or Diamanti.

How successful was Honda? A big name, but not successful as a player; good at the start but not as the season went on. It seems that overall they should be a good name, atleast in the contest of the league, but also needs to be playing well; think Taylor, Ono or Diamanti.

Honda was a known name, which follows my point. The player has to be a known name or a player who can be relied on to score goals.

Honda was a known name, which follows my point. The player has to be a known name or a player who can be relied on to score goals.
My point is that they have to perform as much as they have a name. Honda is probably not the most successful of the signings. Made a splash of course but acouple weeks in he didn't want to be there anymore.

My point is that they have to perform as much as they have a name. Honda is probably not the most successful of the signings. Made a splash of course but acouple weeks in he didn't want to be there anymore.

Thought Honda was reasonable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back