A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologetic Rudan reveals reasons for Wellington Phoenix exit

An emotional Mark Rudan has apologised to Wellington Phoenix fans for his decision to quit the club, but says he simply has to put his family first.
Phoenix confirmed on Monday that Rudan would leave the club at the end of the 2018/19 Season, walking out with a year to run on his contract.
In a 40-minute press conference on Wednesday, Rudan revealed the personal struggle over his decision, having helped transform the club from strugglers to Hyundai A-League contenders.

But living apart from his young family, who remained back in Sydney, was taking too much of a toll on the 43-year-old.
"It wasn't my intention to lead anyone on. I was just very confused what to do and what the best thing was. But it got to a point where it puts a strain on your relationship, it really does,” Rudan told reporters.
“I'm tied here but my family is over there and we had some tough, heated discussions about it all.
"I go home and I'm on my own. I don't go out. Some of you might be at bars but you won't see me out because I'm home, and you're home alone. You can WhatsApp, FaceTime or Skype as much as you want.
"But there are moments when a dad has got to be a dad and be there and put his arm around his kids. He's got to be there for the family and I've missed that, and I don't want to miss that again.​
"I was always going to let someone down no matter what decision I made. I've let my club down and my fans down and everybody here and that's genuinely how I feel. They've got every reason to be upset with my decision, I get that. I'm sorry to those who I've upset and I just hope they can understand my side."

Mark Rudan has turned Wellington's fortunes around this season
There has been plenty of speculation that Rudan has already agreed to join new Hyundai A-League franchise Western United FC.
But the former Sydney FC championship-winning defender insists he hasn’t signed with any other club and plans to wait until the end of the season to sort out his future.
"I'm a professional coach and whatever I do decide to do next my family will be with me,” Rudan stressed.
“They will be in the same house as me. But apart from that I haven't signed a contract with anybody. It's as simple as that.
FINALS COME EARLY: A preview of the huge clash between the Phoenix and City
WATCH FOR FREE: How to watch the Hyundai A-League LIVE and FREE
HOW TO WATCH: Hyundai A-League Round 26
"Right now, the full focus is on this football club and making sure we finish off the best way possible. I'll continue to give everything of myself until that final whistle blows.”
Rudan hasn’t ruled out returning to coach the Phoenix again one day, declaring he has ‘unfinished business’ with the Kiwi outfit.
"If this club wants me back, I'll be back in a heartbeat. I love it," said Rudan.​
"The people of Wellington and this club have really taken me in. I understand why [the fans] angry and everything they want to say about me they're right. All I can do is apologie.
“I worked hard, I gave it my all and dedicated a year of my life to this and there's a lot more to go.
“I'd love to come back but who knows where life takes you? I thought I was going to be here not just for two years, but a lot longer. I love this place. If it was just about me, I'd be here long-term."

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/ap...lMD0jdwfdB9cImk2G1nWN2-Wykh487I3KTepsHu22qszQ

video is in the link.

Andonis1997 Aucklander do you buy it?

I don't believe he hasn't got another club lined up already, which ultimately means I just don't buy it period.

He's got a huge task getting the players up over the next few weeks.
Kurz has been able to do it here, in fact we've been better since the announcement came.

Brisbane Roar captain and Australia's AFC Asian Cup-winning midfielder Matt McKay will retire this month after an 18-year professional career.

McKay, 36, best known for his on-field leadership and tucked-in shirt, is ending a stellar career for both club and country.
Other players will retire with more accolades, but McKay can say he led one of the greatest Australian club sides of all time.
Under coach Ange Postecoglou, McKay captained the Roar to the club's first title in 2010-11, finishing the season on a 28-game unbeaten streak.
In that season, he was named PFA Player of the Year.
His teammates would lengthen that run to an Australian-record 36 matches as he pursued an overseas career, but McKay returned to help Brisbane win another double in 2013/14 under Mike Mulvey.
He's continued on at the Roar through the club's downturn in fortunes and has decided against playing on next year.
"I'm grateful for everything football has given me," McKay said.
"I've had an enjoyable career with plenty of highs and lows, but I've always had a smile on my face and that's what's made it for me."
McKay also enjoyed success in the Socceroos set-up, most notably under his former club boss Postecoglou.

He travelled to Brazil as part of Australia's 2014 FIFA World Cup team and helped the Socceroos win a first major trophy - the Asian Cup - in 2015.
"I've always tried my hardest and I think that's what has made my career last as long as it it has - I've always given my all," McKay said.
"I was there from day one at the Roar and played with some immense players with a great work ethic, which has been really special."
McKay has two matches to finish his career, both on home soil.
The Roar face Newcastle on Saturday and then Adelaide United on Anzac Day, with tributes planned for the foundation A-League player.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/roar-skipper-mckay-coy-on-future-plans_1

Another wonderful leader gone! Through his Harry high pants won't be missed.

Pray that Robbie Fowler turns out to be a good manager for the Roar. It's good publicity and probably opens up a few doors with contacts to agents but if he doesn't perform or get the backing of the Roar board to do as he wants then could be a disaster.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It won't happen. There is no way he doesn't go to a lower-mid table PL club or a team in one of the other big European leagues.
Yep, he's 29 years old. Obviously injury prone but still, no chance he is coming out here to "retire" just yet.

Phoenix announce former Young Socceroos boss Talay as coach | The World Game

Talay has been released from his assistant coaching job at A-League rivals Sydney FC and will take up his new post at the end of the current season, the Phoenix announced on Saturday.
The appointment comes on the morning after Wellington's 3-1 loss to Melbourne Victory in the first elimination final which ended their season.
It marked a campaign of improvement under Rudan, who announced last month he was cutting his two-year contract in half.
Talay, a former title-winning teammate of Rudan's at Sydney FC, soon emerged as a candidate, having forged a good reputation after a stint coaching the Young Socceroos.
Wellington chairman Rob Morrison said the 43-year-old boasted the sort of drive and quality they were seeking.
''The club has spent a lot of money and resource in the academy space and you can see this in the talent that is coming through," he said.
"We wanted a coach who was going to drive through the group the desire to win, to play for the club and the city and to never give up."
Morrison said Talay shares the same goal as management - to lead a club that regularly reaches the finals and challenges for a title.
Sydney issued a statement announcing Talay had been given permission to terminate the final year of his contract.
Talay described his season with the Sky Blues as the most satisfying of his coaching career.
"This step-up to a head coaching job would not have been possible without the help and support of Sydney FC, so I would like to thank everyone at the club for that," he said.
"Now my focus is solely on repaying that faith by helping the club to another A-League title and progression to our best ever AFC Champions League finish."

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/phoenix-announce-former-young-socceroos-boss-talay-as-coach

That was quick Nix fans Andonis1997 Aucklander thoughts?

Jets for sale as owner looks to cut costs | The World Game

A report by the Australian has claimed Jets owner Lee is desperate to find new backers to take on some of the financial burden of running the Hunter based side with the Chinese billionaire looking to off-load his stake in the club.
It could mean Jets are set to face another tough year on the paddock with Lee set to make major cut backs on player and staff costs limiting any chance for coach Ernie Merrick to bolster his squad in the off-season.
Twelve months ago Newcastle were the talk of the A-League after a brilliant campaign where they ended an eight season finals drought before suffering a controversial defeat in the grand final to eventual champions Melbourne Victory.
While the Jets were expected to challenge for the title again this season, Merrick's side suffered a cruel reality check as they struggled to find form before finishing the season outside the finals.
Club chief executive Lawrie McKinna told the Australian that the club was struggling with a few issues off the pitch but assured fans the team would field a competitive side next season.
McKinna, who last week travelled to China for key strategic meetings with Lee, revealed that the billionaire has been looking to move on from the club since the middle of 2018.
"He (Lee) did want to sell the club 100 per cent lock, stock and barrel about nine months ago and there were a couple of interested parties but nothing came of it,” McKinna said.
“Martin’s preference now is that he wants to keep the club, but have a shareholder involved to help take some of the financial load.
"He would look at selling if someone wants to buy 51 per cent or even 100 per cent … he would definitely look at that.”
Lee, who bought the Jets in 2016 for $5.5 million, has been downsizing his once sizeable portfolio of football investments including folding his Chinese club Shenzen Ledman which played in China's second division.
Trade tariffs between the USA and China has had a major impact on Lee's fortunes with his LED lighting company Ledman Group suffering a severe downturn in profits.
The money troubles faced by Newcastle's owner will hit the club hard with McKinna admitting the club will have less money to work with next season making a marquee signing out of the question.
“We will be cutting the budget a bit but the amount has not yet been finalised," he said,
““When you include the marquee, we spent a fair bit over the salary cap last season as we did the previous season.
“That is why I was in China last week. There is still a bit to do and we are waiting for confirmation from China.
“The cuts will be to bits and pieces, player and staff budgets.”
Venezuelan marquee midfielder Ronald Vargas and Brazilian import Jair were among six players released by the club this week.
However, the Jets are still confident of resigning striker Roy O'Donovan despite negotiations reaching an impasse last month.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/jets-for-sale-as-owner-looks-to-cut-costs

Owners jumping ship so soon isn't a good look

That was quick Nix fans Andonis1997 Aucklander thoughts?
Sounds promising. Going by his heritage, he's going to be more ruthless than the Croatian in Rudan :tongueclosed: Just happy we've been proactive in seeking another coach. Just hope this gamble doesn't bite us on the ass.

....Does he have a wife and kids? :D

So the season is going to be cut down from 27 to 26 games, with the view that 14 teams equate to one home and one away game.

How this is going to pan out until we have 14 teams is anyones guess. They're not going to reduce it to 20 games next year so I have no idea what is going to happen. Just makes the decision to not bring in both teams next year even dumber as a 22 game season with finals would be more than enough.

Not sure a top 6 still works, still rewards mediocrity to a point but you don't want too many dead rubber games either. Love to hear peoples thoughts on what can be done in regards to fixtures to avoid what has happened this year.

I think we all know that active areas need to get back to what they were and the salary cap needs to be looked at but fixturing is something that can be done easily. Lets face it, Foxtel want out so maybe we should stop pandering to them when they're out the door regardless.

So the season is going to be cut down from 27 to 26 games, with the view that 14 teams equate to one home and one away game.

How this is going to pan out until we have 14 teams is anyones guess. They're not going to reduce it to 20 games next year so I have no idea what is going to happen. Just makes the decision to not bring in both teams next year even dumber as a 22 game season with finals would be more than enough.

Not sure a top 6 still works, still rewards mediocrity to a point but you don't want too many dead rubber games either. Love to hear peoples thoughts on what can be done in regards to fixtures to avoid what has happened this year.

I think we all know that active areas need to get back to what they were and the salary cap needs to be looked at but fixturing is something that can be done easily. Lets face it, Foxtel want out so maybe we should stop pandering to them when they're out the door regardless.

I think its the right thing to do conditioning the league to when it becomes 14 teams which I believe it will be sooner rather than later once independance is finalised. I would think that the independent working group would already be planning for a 14 team league.

I agree the top six sucks for now but again with 14 teams its not so bad I would like it to go back to the old top 6 system through not the straight knockout system we have now.

Active areas need to come back organically and this time should be encouraged by the league and clubs (without the ******* flares through), Salary Cap will need to be reviewed and altered in some way after the poor showing of our ACL campaigns. If the league and its clubs want to be serious contenders in the ACL in future. When through is the question.

I don't think Foxtel wants out they wouldn't want to lose the Socceroos package part of the deal which is important to team as much as any other national team. I just think the League needs to change the way it promotes itself and cater for what it is. I liked the made in the A-league campaign they did which showed players who started in the A-league who have gone on to better things, it sends a message that you can play A-league football and still have ambitions to play overseas and play for Soccerooss and you as fan can go see and watch these stars being born. I felt it wasn't utilities well enough through especially to younger kids who want to aspire to be a Socceroo one day as well as saying that the league is a stepping stone to greater things. Sure TV ads are good but who watches TV these days? I would have liked to see more on big Billboards, bus shelter/train station Adverts, Radio and online adverts with that campaign too. Opportunity wasted.

But if Foxtel do want out do you think Optus will take the rights? or will the FFA/A-league go for some other online venture? Or bite the built risk a smaller pay day and just give it all to channel 10? Short term pain for long term gain maybe.

Last edited:
I think it
I think its the right thing to do conditioning the league to when it becomes 14 teams which I believe it will be sooner rather than later once independance is finalised. I would think that the independent working group would already be planning for a 14 team league.

I agree the top six sucks for now but again with 14 teams its not so bad I would like it to go back to the old top 6 system through not the straight knockout system we have now.

Active areas need to come back organically and this time should be encouraged by the league and clubs (without the ******* flares through), Salary Cap will need to be reviewed and altered in some way after the poor showing of our ACL campaigns. If the league and its clubs want to be serious contenders in the ACL in future. When through is the question.

I don't think Foxtel wants out they wouldn't want to lose the Socceroos package part of the deal which is important to team as much as any other national team. I just think the League needs to change the way it promotes itself and cater for what it is. I liked the made in the A-league campaign they did which showed players who started in the A-league who have gone on to better things, it sends a message that you can play A-league football and still have ambitions to play overseas and play for Socceroos and you as fan can go see and watch these stars being born. I felt it wasn't utilities well enough through especially to younger kids who want to aspire to be a Socceroos one day as well as saying that the league is a stepping stone to greater things. Sure TV ads are good but who watches TV these days? I would have liked to see more on big Billboards, bus shelter/train station Adverts, Radio and online adverts with that campaign too. Opportunity wasted.

But if Foxtel do want out do you think Optus will take the rights? or will the FFA/A-league go for some other online venture? Or bite the built risk a smaller pay day and just give it all to channel 10? Short term pain for long term gain maybe.
I think it's pretty clear that Optus are serious about broadcasting sport and the deal they have setup with SBS with the Premier League is somthing that could be replicated. IMO there's no issue with being on SBS, as long as it's in HD but they have to actually go hard in the promotional side of things. The A League will play second fiddle to everything on either FTA or Foxtel, be it Rugby League or AFL. At least with Optus they might be pro-active in promotion of it. There are no real decent highlights packages with the A League, no real decent discussion shows and Optus are nailing it with their PL/UCL coverage (even if you disagree with the platform), it's access like never before and would be cool to have A League teams with their own half hour show once a week.

The sooner it becomes independent and in the hands of proper football/business people the better, they all want return on investment and most would know that they have to spend on marketing and promotion in order to get that.

Optus should not get the A-League. If the FFA are serious about growing the game and increasing popularity of the league, they need it where it will get the most exposure to the general populace and that is FTA and Fox. How it should be done is have the local team on FTA each week instead of rotating games. It would help if people in Perth could watch the Glory each week. Same for Adelaide and Brisbane. Let the people watch their local teams and actually promote and advertise the game. It is not rocket science.

I'm also against removing the salary cap. Increase it but don't remove it. Getting rid of it will turn this league into La Liga with Sydney and Victory dominating every season. At least with a salary cap, there is a certain degree of fairness. You aren't going to get new people through the gates if their side is essentially playing for no reason.

The AFC are full of bureaucracy rubbish, but I think that's true from what I've lead to believe if we want to keep our ACL spots.
Which by the way are up for review end of season and the word is we will lose one automatic spot.
Yep, the Thai league I believe will become 2+1, whilst we go 1+2. Hence why only Glory have an ACL berth next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back