A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.foxsports.com.au/footba...l/news-story/a7aad2f72ab9959990bb527fb9b17194

The NSW Assistant Police Commissioner has challenged the version of events offered by a fan who was evicted from Sydney FC’s semi-final against Melbourne Victory.

Very interesting. Going to be interesting to see what happens with this. If the Police are wrong about what happened it's not going to be good. Surely they have CCTV footage than can back up their version of events, Either way, the response is still over the top but in the FFA's mind they'll be congratulating the Police and security on a job well done.

It wouldn't be the first time that the police make up a version of events to justify over the top actions without providing any evidence to prove it was justified. I'm inclined to side with the fan on this one.

So this is starting to get pretty messy, not the best publicity for the upcoming final. If, Rory can prove what happened and the Police, Security and FFA are found to have been full of sh*t, then what?

They claim he was trying to get to the bar because it had better beers. He says he wasn't drinking at all as he drove his daughters to the game. Also claims he was followed by the riot squad in a car after he left. If true, then why did they let a guy who had been drinking drive with a car full of kids?

I am sure there is footage of all this, be it fan footage or CCTV. The truth will come out about this, only a matter of time. Either way the fans are not happy, hope the Perth fans kick off the game with a * The FFA chant.

ABC were reporting on my way home today that he'd been banned from Homebush for 12 months in 2017 for "being belligerent to security."

Even aside from last night, that checks out for every person who's been to an A-League game in the last 4 years.

I know "fold the league" is a bit of a twitter meme these days, but it's going to be founded in reality before too long when there's no one left going to games. Why would anyone persist with this s**t? I don't care about Sydney, I don't really care about Rory as an individual - but we're all football fans first, and there's got to be a point where the whole supportership is standing up to this s**t rather than individual supporter groups.

It's really concerning but the worst is no one is going into bat for us football fans. How aren't any high ranking politicians football fans outside of the world cup? How is it that Craig Foster is the only football guy looking at broader issues. How is it that Bozza seems to be the only media personality who goes in hard on issues whilst everyone else tip toes around things.

Honestly think our only hope is the independent A League and even then, how much leeway are they really going to be given in regards to the stadiums.

The fact that you're confronted in this country with a heavy Police presence every time you attend a game, even if it's only a 10k crowd, which is more concerning than any behaviour I have witnessed inside a stadium at a football game in a decade. I genuinely feel safe from other patrons at the soccer, never have felt intimidated or worried for my safety yet at the AFL and Cricket I am constantly concerned with my surroundings, even though I know that I'm personally ok to handle myself physically (not trying to be tough guy here).

I'm more worried about taking my nephews to a game of AFL than Soccer by a mile but am fearful of what all the Police and security at A League games will make him feel.

So this is starting to get pretty messy, not the best publicity for the upcoming final. If, Rory can prove what happened and the Police, Security and FFA are found to have been full of sh*t, then what?

They claim he was trying to get to the bar because it had better beers. He says he wasn't drinking at all as he drove his daughters to the game. Also claims he was followed by the riot squad in a car after he left. If true, then why did they let a guy who had been drinking drive with a car full of kids?

I am sure there is footage of all this, be it fan footage or CCTV. The truth will come out about this, only a matter of time. Either way the fans are not happy, hope the Perth fans kick off the game with a **** The FFA chant.
We'd be kicked out no doubt

ABC were reporting on my way home today that he'd been banned from Homebush for 12 months in 2017 for "being belligerent to security."

Stay tuned to his twitter, has promised to release video footage of the incident which suggests it was another situation where he didn't feel in the wrong.

This just isn't ending well for the league unless they throw their arms around him and his family and give them royal treatment at the Grand Final this weekend. Huge opportunity here for the league to save some face

The FFA and A-League just do not care. They never have cared about the supporters and never will.

Oh don't worry I'm certainly not expecting any initiative or even just listening to the clear discontent from the fans. Can already see this whole Grand Final week being tainted with this unfortunately

Dolan Warren Award Winners: Roy Krishna wins Johnny Warren Medal

Roy Krishna from Wellington Phoenix has capped off a stellar season by claiming the Johnny Warren Medal at The Dolan Warren Awards, which was held at The Star Event Centre in Sydney tonight.
Christine Nairn from Melbourne Victory claimed the Julie Dolan Medal, the Westfield W-League’s highest honour.
Krishna received 31 points from a panel that included former professional players, technical experts, match officials and media representatives.
He was followed by Isaias Sanchez (Adelaide United – 29 points) and Neil Kilkenny (Perth Glory – 29 points) with Diego Castro (Perth Glory – 28 points) and Keisuke Honda (Melbourne Victory – 28 points) in equal fourth place.

To claim the Julie Dolan medal, Christine Nairn received 21 points and was followed by Sam Kerr (Perth Glory – 16 points), Caitlin Foord (Sydney FC – 14 points), Yuki Nagasato (Brisbane Roar FC - 10 points) and Clare Polkinghorne(Brisbane Roar FC – 9 points).
Fabian Monge from the Western Sydney Wanderers FC was named the Foxtel Y-League Player of the Year.
LIVE BLOG: The Dolan Warren Awards of 2019

CONFIRMED: Match and ticket details for the Grand Final
Ellie Carpenter (Canberra United) was the winner of the Westfield W-League NAB Young Footballer of the Year Award and Chris Ikonomidis (Perth Glory) was named the Hyundai A-League NAB Young Footballer of the Year.
Both Ellie and Chris will receive a $10,000 NAB personal investment portfolio, along with a NAB Private Client Manager to assist with a range of banking and financial services.

Perth Glory Head Coach Tony Popovic received the Hyundai A-League Coach of the Year Award for the second time with Jeff Hopkins from Melbourne Victory named the Westfield W-League Coach of the Year also for the second time.
Wellington Phoenix’s Roy Krishna also added the Nike Golden Boot Award to his collection for being the top goal scorer for the Hyundai A-League 2018/19 season with 18 goals.
Perth Glory’s Sam Kerr claimed back-to-back Westfield W-League Nike Golden Boot Awards courtesy of her 13 goals throughout the 2018/19 season while Moudi Najjar from Melbourne City FC was the top goal scorer for the Foxtel Y-League 2018/19 season with 7 goals.
HOW TO WATCH: Don't miss a minute of the 2019 Hyundai A-League Grand Final

GRAND FINAL: The biggest stories of Hyundai A-League 2019 Grand Final week
Aubrey Bledsoe (Sydney FC) claimed the Westfield W-League Goalkeeper of the Year Award with Filip Kurto (Wellington Phoenix) collecting the Hyundai A-League Goalkeeper of the Year Award.
Cortnee Vine from the Newcastle Jets scored the Westfield W-League 2018/19 Goal of the Year for her strike against Canberra United in Round 3.
Eric Bautheac from Brisbane Roar FC scored the Hyundai A-League the Goal of the Year Award for his overhead, bicycle kick against the Central Coast Mariners in Round 20.

Sydney FC won the Hyundai A-League Fair Play Award after accruing the least number of yellow and red card points whilst the Newcastle Jets won the Westfield W-League Fair Play Award with the Western Sydney Wanderers FC claiming the Foxtel Y-League Fair Play Award.
In the referee awards, Shaun Evans was awarded the Hyundai A-League Referee of the Year with Kate Jacewicz claiming the Westfield W-League’s Referee of the Year Award for a record eighth time.
Melbourne Victory claimed the Community Champion Award in recognition for their community & corporate social responsibility programs and partnerships.

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/we...-wins-johnny-warren-medal-dolan-warren-awards

Congratulations Roy Kristina can’t say it isn’t deserved. He had a wonderful season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/a-league-boss-questions-poor-tv-ratings/eoad8lkxbu9w100wiug8muv1x

Is this satire?

While O'Rourke concedes viewing habits of footballs fans have radically changed in recent years, he questioned just how accurate the A-League's TV ratings are.

"The way they capture ratings is by sample size…they only capture 2000 households across Australia to sample it," O'Rourke said at an FFA community summit in Canberra.

"I can tell you the people that watch our games, kids under the age of 18 that are streaming this stuff, aren’t subscribing to fill out surveys.

"We have this demographic that is snacking on our product. Even with the streaming that we’ve moved to with Kayo and Telstra - people only watch our game for 30 minutes.

"And a lot of them don’t watch it until Monday when they’re on the bus, on the train or on their boss's time. Yet the ratings came out the day before."

Someone needs to tell this guy having people watch 30 minutes of a 90 minute product is insanely alarming and isn't in anyway something I'd be pointing out publicly.

https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/a-league-boss-questions-poor-tv-ratings/eoad8lkxbu9w100wiug8muv1x

Is this satire?

While O'Rourke concedes viewing habits of footballs fans have radically changed in recent years, he questioned just how accurate the A-League's TV ratings are.

"The way they capture ratings is by sample size…they only capture 2000 households across Australia to sample it," O'Rourke said at an FFA community summit in Canberra.

"I can tell you the people that watch our games, kids under the age of 18 that are streaming this stuff, aren’t subscribing to fill out surveys.

"We have this demographic that is snacking on our product. Even with the streaming that we’ve moved to with Kayo and Telstra - people only watch our game for 30 minutes.

"And a lot of them don’t watch it until Monday when they’re on the bus, on the train or on their boss's time. Yet the ratings came out the day before."

Someone needs to tell this guy having people watch 30 minutes of a 90 minute product is insanely alarming and isn't in anyway something I'd be pointing out publicly.

Delusional! Along with Gallop must be given the ASS!

I'll feel sorry for the Phoenix when their broadcasting actually pay for rights and the team brings something (good crowds, a quality marquee). Until then, eh. No Australian fan goes to see them because they're a C-grade name and aren't ever really that competitive (scraping into finals doesn't count). The opportunity cost for another Aussie team and the rivalry, broadcast deals, and passion they'd bring is just too high.

I'll feel sorry for the Phoenix when their broadcasting actually pay for rights and the team brings something (good crowds, a quality marquee). Until then, eh. No Australian fan goes to see them because they're a C-grade name and aren't ever really that competitive (scraping into finals doesn't count). The opportunity cost for another Aussie team and the rivalry, broadcast deals, and passion they'd bring is just too high.
Bull.
s**t.
Justify City's position in the League with the same metrics (APART from the fact that they're Australian and have a derby to boost their shitty ass crowds).
Look at Western United. What the * is Western United?! They'll never have any fans until City's "fans" jump onto that bandwagon.

Give us a 20 year licence like the rest of the league and you'll see what we're capable of.

'Dead in the water': Foxtel austerity drive signals end of sports rights boom
All of Australia’s sporting codes - including the AFL and NRL - could be impacted as pay TV provider Foxtel reins in spending on "non-marquee" sports, in a sign the era of record rights deals may be ending.
Foxtel spends $800 million on sports rights each year and media analysts say moves to pull back spending by the pay TV giant could affect the entire sporting landscape.

“There is no question now that Foxtel is putting away its cheque book and Foxtel has been the driver of this market,” said media analyst Steve Allen.
Rupert Murdoch's News Corp, which owns 65 per cent of Foxtel, flagged cuts to "non-marquee sports" in an update to the ASX on Monday after revealing the pay TV company lost $417 million in 2018.[/COLOR]
Rugby Australia is expected to be the first sporting body to face the austerity drive as it begins negotiations over a new broadcast rights deal, but Football Federation Australia's (FFA) A League is expected to be hardest hit?

“If I was Rugby (Australia) and the FFA I’d be concerned as they would be looking at savings there, but this could profoundly change the whole market,” said Global Media and Sports boss Colin Smith, who has previously worked with the NRL on its broadcast deals.
The A-League's current deal is worth around $40 million a year with $35 million of this coming from Foxtel, according to industry analysts.
Mr Allen said the A-League is "dead in the water" without Foxtel's support, but the impact is expected to be felt all the way from V8 Supercars to the top tier sports.
Foxtel's blockbuster deals with NRL and AFL, worth a combined $3.5 billion, do not expire until 2022.
The pay TV subscriber numbers, revenue and earnings are going backwards in its core pay TV business despite a massive spend on sports broadcast rights in recent years.
The focus will now have to be on “what are people really interested in, what are they prepared to pay for,” said Mr Allen.
“Now they have to ruthlessly go through their expense base and look at whether particular sports they’ve bid for have netted anything in terms of subscribers.”
Cricket Australia's $1.2 billion rights deal with Foxtel and Seven West Media last year is now being viewed as the high water mark for sports rights in Australia.
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.65098)]
Steve Smith of the Australia XI in action during a One-Day cricket practice match.AAP[/COLOR]
Free to air television broadcasters are not expected to be able to pick up the slack if Foxtel does start cutting back, and sporting codes rely on broadcast deals to provide up to 65 per cent of their revenue. The broadcast deals also drive sponsorship dollars.
Foxtel and News Corp did not respond to requests for comment on Tuesday.
In the market update, News Corp also flagged further price rises for Foxtel. The media giant was forced to diclose the financial details to shareholders after they were provided to potential lenders as it seeks refinancing for Foxtel debt totalling $US1.68 billion.
It comes after News Corp provided Foxtel with a $300 million lifeline to cover debts maturing in April. Telstra, which owns the reamining 35 per cent of Foxtel, did not contibute any new funding.

https://www.theage.com.au/business/...nd-of-sports-rights-boom-20190514-p51n3v.html

Very concerning in general, but particularly for the A-League and the FFA.

For anyone who's interested, here's a Nix update:
Ufuk Talay already clearing out the deadwood, 6 players released including Nathan Burns, pretty much starting from scratch. We're working with Williams and Krishna to keep them around and the club is letting Durante decide to go around as a player or in a non-playing role.

Here's our current list...

EXPIRES END OF 2018/19 (now)
Tom DOYLE
Andrew DURANTE
Willem EBBINGE (U21)
Roy KRISHNA
MANDI (import)
Gianni STENSNESS
Ben WAINE (U21)
David WILLIAMS

EXPIRES END OF 2019/20 (next season)
Liberato CACACE
Alex RUFER
Sarpreet SINGH
Steven TAYLOR (import)
Callan ELLIOT (U21)

EXPIRES END OF 2020/21 (longer than our current licence...)
Louis FENTON
Oliver SAIL

Bare bones, eh?

For anyone who's interested, here's a Nix update:
Ufuk Talay already clearing out the deadwood, 6 players released including Nathan Burns, pretty much starting from scratch. We're working with Williams and Krishna to keep them around and the club is letting Durante decide to go around as a player or in a non-playing role.

Here's our current list...

EXPIRES END OF 2018/19 (now)
Tom DOYLE
Andrew DURANTE
Willem EBBINGE (U21)
Roy KRISHNA
MANDI (import)
Gianni STENSNESS
Ben WAINE (U21)
David WILLIAMS

EXPIRES END OF 2019/20 (next season)
Liberato CACACE
Alex RUFER
Sarpreet SINGH
Steven TAYLOR (import)
Callan ELLIOT (U21)

EXPIRES END OF 2020/21 (longer than our current licence...)
Louis FENTON
Oliver SAIL

Bare bones, eh?

Andonis1997 I've just created an off season thread so you can repost the above post in that thread if you wish. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back