A-League Grand Final: Brisbane Roar v Perth Glory

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually the worst kind of diving are those where the player goes down at the moment of impact as though they have lost all use of their legs. Most people naturally will attempt to regain their balance. Once again, stepping on a ball does not help with your balance and you do not automatically find balance by landing a plant foot squarely after stepping on a ball, as balance is about more than where your feet are positioned.

Where has anyone said it was forceful enough to send him down? It was enough to have an elevated leg shift in mid air and come down on top of the ball, and this affected the play. You have been told the same thing over and over but fail to acknowledge it because you know it looks bad.

I didn't say anyone did. I am just stating it. I don't know how anyone can see contact. I wish I could show you in person how deceptive it is. He didn't even step on the ball as bad as you are saying. The tip of his boot knocked it a bit. His foot still came down and landed normally. Imagine a ball and stamping your foot down on the edge of the ball. Your foot still lands normally and flat but knocks the ball ever so slightly.

I agree with you about the diving being as soon as they get contact but I'm referring more to when the get contact, then half a second to a second they should go down. Not 3-4 seconds.

I read the post.. hence why I responded. I still don't understand what you are trying to say? I can move my leg like that and not twist the top of my leg.. why can't Berisha?

Dude you need to get to the doctor straight away. Everyone else's knee only bends in one direction. Your "bends in two directions" knee needs a reco.

I didn't say anyone did. I am just stating it.
Well it was already established so I have no idea why you are returning to it. The contact did not have to be the sole cause of him going down.

I don't know how anyone can see contact. I wish I could show you in person how deceptive it is.
I can see no daylight between boot and leg, I can see the leg flick to the right in an unnatural fashion with the boot heading in the same direction. I can not feel the contact on Berisha's behalf but I can say that on the balance of probabilities that contact was made and that there is zero conclusive evidence to suggest that it wasn't.

At any rate, you are arguing no contact, but also arguing that the contact would not have been enough to bring him down. The latter does not need to be said if the former is correct. You have just come out with a Liam Miller statement.

He didn't even step on the ball as bad as you are saying. The tip of his boot knocked it a bit. His foot still came down and landed normally. Imagine a ball and stamping your foot down on the edge of the ball. Your foot still lands normally and flat but knocks the ball ever so slightly.

Well I didn't say how badly he stepped on the ball, but it was not as though he made contact with it on the outer couple of millimetres. His boot looks to have made contact with the ball on the left side at least a couple of inches from the ball. His weight causes the ball to squeeze out to the right and move several inches away from its line. Again though, you are missing the point. All I have tried to do was establish a trail of breadcrumbs. Contact-leg moves-steps on ball-ball no longer where it would have been were it not for the first three steps. The severity of any of these makes no difference to the chain of events.

I didn't make those points in the first place to determine whether it was a penalty or not, but to point out why Berisha could have overbalanced and gone to ground. in the wake of diving/cheating allegations.

I agree with you about the diving being as soon as they get contact but I'm referring more to when the get contact, then half a second to a second they should go down. Not 3-4 seconds.

It wasn't 3-4 seconds. You need to watch real time for that. Leg in air, contact, leg planted, strike leg swings and misses, body contorts, down he goes. It's in the time it would take you to take one and a half steps while running. Would have been a second.

When I stumble, I usually get in a couple of fast reflex steps to try to right myself before my upper body momentum causes me to go down.

Well it was already established so I have no idea why you are returning to it. The contact did not have to be the sole cause of him going down.

I can see no daylight between boot and leg, I can see the leg flick to the right in an unnatural fashion with the boot heading in the same direction. I can not feel the contact on Berisha's behalf but I can say that on the balance of probabilities that contact was made and that there is zero conclusive evidence to suggest that it wasn't.

At any rate, you are arguing no contact, but also arguing that the contact would not have been enough to bring him down. The latter does not need to be said if the former is correct. You have just come out with a Liam Miller statement.

Well I didn't say how badly he stepped on the ball, but it was not as though he made contact with it on the outer couple of millimetres. His boot looks to have made contact with the ball on the left side at least a couple of inches from the ball. His weight causes the ball to squeeze out to the right and move several inches away from its line. Again though, you are missing the point. All I have tried to do was establish a trail of breadcrumbs. Contact-leg moves-steps on ball-ball no longer where it would have been were it not for the first three steps. The severity of any of these makes no difference to the chain of events.

I didn't make those points in the first place to determine whether it was a penalty or not, but to point out why Berisha could have overbalanced and gone to ground. in the wake of diving/cheating allegations.

It wasn't 3-4 seconds. You need to watch real time for that. Leg in air, contact, leg planted, strike leg swings and misses, body contorts, down he goes. It's in the time it would take you to take one and a half steps while running. Would have been a second.

When I stumble, I usually get in a couple of fast reflex steps to try to right myself before my upper body momentum causes me to go down.

Sorry my mistake about the 3-4 seconds. I was thinking Replay slow mo time but I don't really see any momentum that would force Berisha down as it would running at a pace.

I still believe there was no contact. I am merely stating that if there was, which you believe, it wouldn't have been substantial enough to send him down. The contact also had to be the main reason for him falling down because then it would be Berisha falling over for no reason or because of his poor balance and no foul should be given. Again, I'm not saying that there was contact, I'm talking about it like that because you believe there to be contact.

Anyway, we could argue this forever. We see things differently and it won't change the outcome.:)

The contact also had to be the main reason for him falling down because then it would be Berisha falling over for no reason or because of his poor balance and no foul should be given.

Or because the contact made his left foot stand on the ball, made the ball bobble and threw off his striking attempt and therefore his balance. No reason or poor balance? You are still going there despite knowing that the ball bobbled after standing on it?

Again I remind you, the basis of the penalty is not that Berisha went to ground but that Berisha was denied a strike at the ball that he otherwise might have had.

Contact?

Berishacontactcloseup.jpg

Offside?

Berishaoffside.jpg

[YOUTUBE]AwD8i7vbFR8&[/YOUTUBE]

Danny Vukovic at the pub following the game. Would Tando do this? Would he ****!

Question has to be asked, why would Miller even attempt a tackle? There was no chance of him getting the ball, he was behind Berisha. Perhaps if he didn't dive in Berisha may have had his shot saved by Vukovic or possibly blasted it high/wide with the amount of effort he put into the shot. Instead, Miller clipped Berisha which caused him to trip on the ball, lose his balance and be denied the chance at shooting.

Like I said, the camera angle is deceptive. No penalty, no contact.
In your opinion?

Of course the lower left leg flicking to the side like that at the very instant it looks like contact is made (insert camera deceptively makes it look like contact is made for yourself) is purely coincidental despite being an unnatural action.

Not sure why you would revisit the thread without anything fresh.

Even Miller says that any contact was minor.

A fundamental problem with a penalty in general is that the reward (i.e 10m out with only the goalie to beat) is far too much considering most free kicks in the box are not stopping an open shot at goal from in front. The large incentive and failure to punish diving means these controversial calls will continue no end as people believe going down when you could've held your feet is a legitimate tactic rather than weak sportsmanship.

PS - My personal opinion, no penalty. Any contact was minor/incidental as it didn't stop the shot being attempted. Just because there's contact doesn't mean a foul was committed. More spirit less letter of the law required.

A fundamental problem with a penalty in general is that the reward (i.e 10m out with only the goalie to beat) is far too much considering most free kicks in the box are not stopping an open shot at goal from in front. The large incentive and failure to punish diving means these controversial calls will continue no end as people believe going down when you could've held your feet is a legitimate tactic rather than weak sportsmanship.

PS - My personal opinion, no penalty. Any contact was minor/incidental as it didn't stop the shot being attempted. Just because there's contact doesn't mean a foul was committed. More spirit less letter of the law required.

[Sigh] watch the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJOj-SrfhKw&feature

His is tackled from behind, his left leg is kicked onto the ball which as a result is knocked away from his kicking foot. See how the ball suddenly bobbles up of the pitch after contact. It absolutely interfered with the shot being taken.

If Berisha's foot did not land on the ball after the contact, the penalty would probably not have been given, but then again, Berisha would not have had an air swing either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nav's absolutely right. Miller's clip on Berisha ultimately denied Berisha the opportunity to get a shot off on goal. If Berisha wasn't in the act of shooting then it wouldn't have been a penalty IMO as it wasn't enough to knock him over. To suggest it was not a penalty is to suggest that Berisha would have taken an air swing if Miller did not tackle him or touch him which is absurd.

This one is worse. 2000 was completely and utterly our fault. And by our fault I mean Bernd Stange for his tactics. If there was a conflict of interest with a ref in that game it favoured us because Eddie Lenny was a West Australian.

We worked a lot harder and went through a lot more s**t from the East to get to this one.

Nothing will ever compare to 2000. One of the worst days of my life. I never expected us to win this year and even at 1-0 with 10 minutes to go I could see Brisbane scoring. Still gutting that we were completely shafted by a bullshit call but I have more of a sense of pride at how we got to the game after being virtually bottom for half the season.

In fact as the Roar were in the build-up to their first goal I turned to someone next to me and said Brisbane were 2-0 down with similar time left last season and won. Five seonds later they had scored.

This might be selective memory but we were still by far and away the best squad in 2000 though, it kind of seeme invitable we'd have another chance. You never know in the A-League with salary caps and batshit mental owners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back