A-League A-League Men Round 8 - The Walkout Melbourne Derby

A-League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were definitely banned for awhile and people kicked out.

Definitely seems that lately they’ve just become accepted
The amount of flares thrown without any condemnation has been a major problem all season. Its fine to light up a flare but throwing them is stupid and dangerous wasn't happening previously not to the scale of this season anyway. How the active supporters where able to get away with this without punishment all season is why this shitstorm happened on Saturday night. How many flares where thrown on the pitch from both active ends on Saturday? Happen earlier in the season during the Vic V WSW match and the first Melbourne Derby too as well as in the Sydney derby not to forget at fed square during the Socceroos matches. It become normal to throw flares like confetti and that always invites trouble. Someone at the APL/FA needs to come out and put a stop to it period!

As recently as the Socceroo's games telecasts at Fed Square - we saw flares being lit, and the commentariat didn't really condemn it. It is just kind of part of the game. I understand it was such a great moment and we didn't want any wet blankets complaining about the flares at the time - but the standard you walk past is the standard you accept and all of that.

Caught bringing flares in? - Much bigger punishment. Big fines, or shove them up their arse and light them.
Pitch invasion? - See what cricket has done, I think this has helped a fair bit (still happens a bit though)
Assaulting players/refs/media - well that should be aggravated assault - aggravated because it could lead to something much bigger. Potential jail time.

(ok I'm not serious about that one bit with the flares, but the rest I'm dead serious. )

Cause it was frigging awesome.

You'd have to be comatose to not enjoy seeing the scenes at fed square after Australia scored

Come on, man. You're saying a couple of players being jostled when a crowd of what... 15-20 thousand runs onto the ground is comparable to the mayhem we saw on Saturday, committed by 150 people?

I've been an A-League member for over 10 years. We've never seen anything approaching it in the AFL, but then we wouldn't blame a fullback for inciting a riot after having flares thrown at them by the opposition cheer squad if he threw one back. We wouldn't look at flares being thrown on the ground as part of the event in the first place.

Seriously? I knew someone that attended this match

Said they've never seen worse violence at a sporting event in their life. Someone had their skull fractured ffs.

The amount of flares thrown without any condemnation has been a major problem all season. Its fine to light up a flare but throwing them is stupid and dangerous wasn't happening previously not to the scale of this season anyway. How the active supporters where able to get away with this without punishment all season is why this shitstorm happened on Saturday night. How many flares where thrown on the pitch from both active ends on Saturday? Happen earlier in the season during the Vic V WSW match and the first Melbourne Derby too as well as in the Sydney derby not to forget at fed square during the Socceroos matches. It become normal to throw flares like confetti and that always invites trouble. Someone at the APL/FA needs to come out and put a stop to it period!

Think they're scared to because they don't want to do anything that impacts the atmosphere and the fan enjoyment after all the issues a few years back. Which is dumb and is the tail wagging the dog. The issue is supporters groups have this certain level of arrogance that if they don't get their way they'll just walk away.

Think they're scared to because they don't want to do anything that impacts the atmosphere and the fan enjoyment after all the issues a few years back. Which is dumb and is the tail wagging the dog. The issue is supporters groups have this certain level of arrogance that if they don't get their way they'll just walk away.

It's not dumb. Many kids love the active supporters.

The Karen's have the loudest voice.

Why can't fans walk out? They don't owe anything to the league. Indeed they have created it [by allowing it to succeed].

Surely if you buy a ticket you can watch the game at the ground pub or home?

Well after Saturday the active groups can't take the high ground they are left with only two choices abide by the rules we set or walk away. Simple. enough is enough!

Said they've never seen worse violence at a sporting event in their life. Someone had their skull fractured ffs.
This was probably worse too.

9e1cbd0afaa41b8594bc6e38cf0c2b53

It's not dumb. Many kids love the active supporters.

The Karen's have the loudest voice.

Why can't fans walk out? They don't owe anything to the league. Indeed they have created it [by allowing it to succeed].

Surely if you buy a ticket you can watch the game at the ground pub or home?

Flares are illegal, it's dumb to allow them just to encourage support.

They can walk out, and the league doesn't want that so they let them do what they want.

So how many of the flare throwing thugs responsible for the violence were the same flare throwing thugs leading violence at anti lockdown protests in Melbourne?

Flares are illegal, it's dumb to allow them just to encourage support.

They can walk out, and the league doesn't want that so they let them do what they want.

Many dodgy things are or have been legal. Can't use the state as your moral compass.

I doubt there was sooking in Croatia

1671411561590.png

Many dodgy things are or have been legal. Can't use the state as your moral compass.

I doubt there was sooking in Croatia

View attachment 1575456

What are you on about?

The only way to judge things is legality. The league cannot allow illegal activity just cos it looks cool. Maybe fans should take fireworks into the ground and fire them at each other too?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Point taken, I think there's a distinction between inside the stadium, let alone a player, on the field, while the match is in progress.

I'm not dismissing how serious the AFL incident is; I'm just saying a supporter trespassing on the playing field and committing an assault on a player is another level entirely.

It's a game being forfeited in the last 5 years. You asked when that had happened, I provided evidence. There was no issue with the integrity of the competition as a result.

How about the leagues not resuming after COVID? Bury's expulsion meaning all their games were forfeited? Leagues carry on.
Carlton went out of business in the old NSL - games were forfeited then too

Last edited by a moderator:
Carlton went out of business in the old NSL - games were forfeited then too
lol, I remember making dad take me to a couple of games at Optus Oval. Such a wacky idea in retrospect. I think the theory was that we have a shitton of Italian supporters and there was no Melbourne Italian team in the NSL at the time. Crowds were initially pretty strong and the side was good. Crowds dropped off and the footy club washed their hands of it, they ended up playing at Epping in front of less than a thousand people. Worked pretty well for the guys who ended up with the license, they were still making money on players like Bresciano, Grella etc through sell on clauses well in to the last decade.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, I remember making dad take me to a couple of games at Optus Oval. Such a wacky idea in retrospect. I think the theory was that we have a shitton of Italian supporters and there was no Melbourne Italian team in the NSL at the time. Crowds were initially pretty strong and the side was good. Crowds dropped off and the footy club washed their hands of it, they ended up playing at Epping in front of less than a thousand people. Worked pretty well for the guys who ended up with the license, they were still making money on players like Bresciano, Grella etc through sell on clauses well in to the last decade.

Archie. Kennedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back