A-League A-League Men Round 8 - The Walkout Melbourne Derby

A-League
Status
Not open for further replies.
Says the man that doesn't have a wallet

You still haven't explained why you need one these days. Or do you just get some random sense of self-satisfaction having a bulging bit of leather stretching your pants?

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
You still haven't explained why you need one these days. Or do you just get some random sense of self-satisfaction having a bulging bit of leather stretching your pants?

I didn't say I wear one tbf.

Just defending our bumbag brothers and sisters from your extremist views

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
The Original Style Melbourne Facebook page is an entertaining read and satisfying to see the simmering hatred for them and their pathetic explanation and self-serving apologies, from other Victory members and supporters.

The change in their attitude from this time last week (and everything prior to that) to now is like night and day. Their entire existence is predicated on manufacturing some ridiculous hatred and hostility for their opposition and then they cry "circumstances out of our control" when it spectacularly blows up in their face. They don't want to get involved in politics when it comes to taking an opportunity to publicly condemn the bigotry of Josh Cavallo by their own members but want a seat at the table for important club and league decisions.

They are children: cowardly, thuggish children. If it's anything more nuanced than throwing a flare, they're out of their depth.

I've been really surprised by the groundswell of this APL protest. When I heard the news, I basically thought 'Wow, that's s**t' and the explanation that they wanted to make it like the AFL grand final or the FA Cup was absurd and laughable. Don't piss on our backs and tell us it's raining. If they'd just admitted the commercial realities, like City did in publicly backing the move, they'd have been a lot better off: 'We'd like to play in front of a packed house too, but that won't earn us $20 million. This move is necessary to help us secure the future of the league.' I'm not sure if it would have stopped the protests, but I think it would have helped defuse things and make a fair few people look at the situation from the league's perspective.

But the anger really took me by surprise. Each to their own, but even though my club is the likeliest to be disadvantaged by it, I just never saw it as that big a deal. After a bit more consideration, I figured that it might finally establish a pecking order with the two major trophies, that the premiership is a level higher than the championship.

The cynic in me says that besides having a bit more self interest in play, these active supporter groups have latched on to this issue as a bit of an attention whoring exercise, to convince themselves that their opinion actually matters. But when you look at Original Style Melbourne's outrage, its demand for answers regarding the APL's decision and its complete lack thereof regarding the public actions of its own group, well it says it all really. So long, knobs: you won't be missed.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
The Original Style Melbourne Facebook page is an entertaining read and satisfying to see the simmering hatred for them and their pathetic explanation and self-serving apologies, from other Victory members and supporters.

The change in their attitude from this time last week (and everything prior to that) to now is like night and day. Their entire existence is predicated on manufacturing some ridiculous hatred and hostility for their opposition and then they cry "circumstances out of our control" when it spectacularly blows up in their face. They don't want to get involved in politics when it comes to taking an opportunuty to publicly condemn the bigotry of Josh Cavallo by their own members but want a seat at the table for important club and league decisions.

They are children: cowardly, thuggish children. If it's anything more nuanced than throwing a flare, they're out of their depth.

I've been really surprised by the groundswell of this APL protest. When I heard the news, I basically thought 'Wow, that's s**t' and the explanation that they wanted to make it like the AFL grand final or the FA Cup was absurd and laughable. Don't piss on our backs and tell us it's raining. If they'd just admitted the commercial realities, like City did in publicly backing the move, they'd have been a lot better off: 'We'd like to play in front of a packed house too, but that won't earn us $20 million. This move is necessary to help us secure the future of the league.' I'm not sure if it would have stopped the protests, but I think it would have helped defuse things and make a fair few people look at the situation from the league's perspective.

But the anger really took me by surprise. Each to their own, but even though my club is the likeliest to be disadvantaged by it, I just never saw it as that big a deal. After a bit more consideration, I figured that it might finally establish a pecking order with the two major trophies, that the premiership is a level higher than the championship.

The cynic in me says that besides having a bit more self interest in play, these active supporter groups have latched on to this issue as a bit of an attention whoring exercise, to convince themselves that their opinion actually matters. But when you look at Original Style Melbourne's outrage, it's demand for answers regarding the APL's decision and its complete lack thereof regarding the public actions of its own group, well it says it all really. So long, knobs: you won't be missed.

It's not as if the Sydney A League Grand Finals were locked in perpetually for decades any like the AFL grand final. Only 3 Years, to help try recoup the massive financial hit the A League and clubs felt during the COVID/lockdown Years.

People/Victory fans can blame Glover for what happened on Saturday night, but several of those Thugs wearing balaclavas and black shirts to the Derby were always intending to start some **** anyway.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
It's not as if the Sydney A League Grand Finals were locked in perpetually for decades any like the AFL grand final. Only 3 Years, to help try recoup the massive financial hit the A League and clubs felt during the COVID/lockdown Years.

People/Victory fans can blame Glover for what happened on Saturday night, but several of those Thugs wearing balaclavas and black shirts to the Derby were always intending to start some **** anyway.

About 20 individuals hold the majority of blame for this. Id only hold Glover 10% responsible, his actions while poor only played a minor role. APL also to blame releasing a highly provocative announcement in the leadup to the xmas derby.

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
About 20 individuals hold the majority of blame for this. Id only hold Glover 10% responsible, his actions while poor only played a minor role. APL also to blame releasing a highly provocative announcement in the leadup to the xmas derby.
APL should have taken a leaf out of the AFL book and announced it during the AFL grand final :D

Pacman82

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2011
Earth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SMFC | Celtics
Yeah not exactly wrapped about the Finals being played in Sydney but that's business I guess. Didn't cross my mind to burn house down about it..

CCM should get up, I'd love a goal from Kuol & Cummings @9 too!

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong

While we're at it, City Terrace can get stuffed too. While I wouldn't say I'm 100% on board with the protest, it would have been a strong league wide statement for crowds en masse (including all active areas) to quietly pack up and leave at 20 minutes on the dot. Not throw flares at opposition goalkeepers. For City Terrace to claim the moral high ground along with the other clubs besides Victory and lambast OSM's actions is a bit rich. Active areas have never really been good at quiet protests, have they?

City Terrace didn't help the situation in any way on Saturday and at the very least, they should be on a final warning for the remainder of the season. The protest's dead. People may not be on the APL's side, but they're sure as hell against you now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back